C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

255/60R15 Mickey Thompson ET Street SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:11 AM
BEVO76
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 255/60R15 Mickey Thompson ET Street SS

Although I know 17 or 18in wheels have considerably more options I still like my original 15x8 chrome rally wheels.

With that being said there are only a few options and I am very interested in the Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S drag radials. I spoke with a tech from M/T today and he stated that they are excellent on the street and get about 10,000mi plus per set. I do see occasional strip time and the Cobras, MT Sportsman, and BFG are not well suited to what I am looking for seeing they are S or T rated and will suck on the strip.

Bottom Line - I know these are fairly new but is anyone running the MT ET S/S on all for corners? If so do they meet your needs for everyday driving? I average about 2000mi per year overall.

I am looking at 255/60R15 rear and 235/60R15 front on a 76.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...tem=ETStreetSS

Thoughts....issues....questions....recom mendations?????

Thanks, Hope all is well!

Beau
Old 02-10-2016, 11:24 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BEVO76
Although I know 17 or 18in wheels have considerably more options I still like my original 15x8 chrome rally wheels.

With that being said there are only a few options and I am very interested in the Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S drag radials. I spoke with a tech from M/T today and he stated that they are excellent on the street and get about 10,000mi plus per set. I do see occasional strip time and the Cobras, MT Sportsman, and BFG are not well suited to what I am looking for seeing they are S or T rated and will suck on the strip.

Bottom Line - I know these are fairly new but is anyone running the MT ET S/S on all for corners? If so do they meet your needs for everyday driving? I average about 2000mi per year overall.

I am looking at 255/60R15 rear and 235/60R15 front on a 76.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...tem=ETStreetSS

Thoughts....issues....questions....recom mendations?????

Thanks, Hope all is well!

Beau
I have drag raced in street tire classes, and nothing even comes close to M/T tires as far as traction. I have run them on many street cars as well, and they hook unbelievably there as well. I have never run them on the front, so I can't say,
but let us know.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:35 AM
BEVO76
Pro

So can I get by with a BFG Radial or MT Sportsman ST in the front?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

So can I get by with a BFG Radial or MT Sportsman ST in the front?
I've been running the MT ET Street Radials out back and their Sportsman STs in front for almost 4 years now. They are the same sizes respectively that you're asking about and have been great tires all around. I don't know the difference between the ET Sreet Radials and the ET Street SS though. Can you educate me on that?
Old 02-10-2016, 12:16 PM
BEVO76
Pro

So do you run the sportsman with white letters out or in on the front??? I don't want it to look stupid.

The ET Street R and SS have replaced the ET Street I and II. The reason was due to the inability to shed water on the ET Street I/II drag radials. The tire has also been redeveloped as well to increase sidewall stability thus promoting better overall road driving to and from the track. The tech stated today that I would not notice a difference between the ET SS Drag Radial and a regular radial while driving on the street. He also mentioned that the R2 compound has been slightly reconstructed to offer longer life. The last thing the tech stated was that the SS will hook exceptionally well on the street while running around 30psi. But once you get to the track and drop it to the 18-20psi range the tire will become a completely different animal with tons of load up potential. Im excited to be honest with you. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me. A tire that performs as a radial but hooks on the street, and becomes even more aggressive once at the track.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:26 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

So do you run the sportsman with white letters out or in on the front??? I don't want it to look stupid.

The ET Street R and SS have replaced the ET Street I and II. The reason was due to the inability to shed water on the ET Street I/II drag radials. The tire has also been redeveloped as well to increase sidewall stability thus promoting better overall road driving to and from the track. The tech stated today that I would not notice a difference between the ET SS Drag Radial and a regular radial while driving on the street. He also mentioned that the R2 compound has been slightly reconstructed to offer longer life. The last thing the tech stated was that the SS will hook exceptionally well on the street while running around 30psi. But once you get to the track and drop it to the 18-20psi range the tire will become a completely different animal with tons of load up potential. Im excited to be honest with you. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me. A tire that performs as a radial but hooks on the street, and becomes even more aggressive once at the track.
I've been wondering about them as well, sorry I don't have info, but what I can add is i like the white lettering facing out and either way I don't think it would look stupid.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:37 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Bluedawg.....what's up brother hope all is well!

I think I will go with the SS in the back and Sportsman's in the front white letters out. Pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on these.

Does anyone have any pics with the original ET Streets in the back???

How hard did the original ET Street I/II hook on the street. I just finished redoing the entire suspension and I don't want to get into replacing new broken parts.

Last edited by BEVO76; 02-10-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:40 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

I think I will go with the SS in the back and Sportsman's in the front white letters out. Pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on these.

How hard did the original ET Street I/II hook on the street. I just finished redoing the entire suspension and I don't want to get into replacing new broken parts.
You think any about drag radials?
Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Originally Posted by bluedawg
You think any about drag radials?
what do mean?

I believe the et streets ss are drag radials. I know there are a couple other brands out there but I haven't really looked past the MT.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 PM
BEVO76
Pro

this is what the new tread pattern looks like on the SS.

MT is call this new tire an incredible street performance tire that’s ready to take to the drag strip on the weekend.

I think its perfect for the guys who like the old school look but want performance tires. Not everyone wants to roll around on 20in dubs because the manufactures stopped making good tires.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:13 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have nitto drag radials because at the time I was told they were better in the rain. I run black wall all around, I thought it looked better as matched as possible.
I will say the nitto's are better than those crappy cobras. Those tires sucked on a dry road did nothing but spin the tires when I applied any power and if anyone spit on the road ahead of me the car wanted to swap ends.plus the fact I felt like an idiot driving a Corvette with "Cobra"written on my tires.my final thoughts,the cooper cobra is the worst tire I've ever had on a Corvette. I don't care how long your tread lasts it means nothing if your car slides on a dry road.I don't know why someone can't make a decent 15 in tire for a performance car. I may just put drag radials on the front.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Les
Race Director

I run the black facing out in front to match the look in the back- purely personal preference. Thanks for the info on the new gen tires. I'm getting close to needing a new set in back, maybe next year. It sounds like a better tire in every sense.

I run mine at around 30 PSI but if I want them to hook for all out use I need to drop them to 17-18. Here's a video of what happens when they are at 22-24. I thought I'd hook but even after a good burnout I had to back pedal to get grip off the line. The next time out, for the actual race, I ran at 17 and they hooked hard.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Les
Race Director

Here's a shot of the ET Streets. I have different angles if you want.

The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (02-11-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 01:21 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
I have nitto drag radials because at the time I was told they were better in the rain. I run black wall all around, I thought it looked better as matched as possible.
I will say the nitto's are better than those crappy cobras. Those tires sucked on a dry road did nothing but spin the tires when I applied any power and if anyone spit on the road ahead of me the car wanted to swap ends.plus the fact I felt like an idiot driving a Corvette with "Cobra"written on my tires.my final thoughts,the cooper cobra is the worst tire I've ever had on a Corvette. I don't care how long your tread lasts it means nothing if your car slides on a dry road.I don't know why someone can't make a decent 15 in tire for a performance car. I may just put drag radials on the front.
I agree 100% spot on! I am heavily contemplating the drag radials in the front 235/60R15. I don't see the down side besides price!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:22 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Originally Posted by Les
Here's a shot of the ET Streets. I have different angles if you want.

Im sold!

That's bad ***!

I LIKE IT!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:33 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Les - Do you know your measurement from the ground to the center of the wheel well in the rear?

I just replaced my 9 leaf with a 7 lead F41 and swapped the 6in bolts out for the 8in bolts and I am still pulling 29in from ground to the center of the wheel well.

But I haven't had it on the road yet. I guess the rumor on the street is that the spring and suspension will settle an inch or more once you get it out and drive it. Is that correct? I only got about an inch out of it total with the bottom nut about 3/4 of an inch up on the bolt.

VBP 550lb spring are going in next weekend. This winter has been a total overhaul.

Last edited by BEVO76; 02-10-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:37 PM
BEVO76
Pro

I think the ET S/S drag radials are going to looks sweet on the back!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 255/60R15 Mickey Thompson ET Street SS

Old 02-10-2016, 03:11 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

I use the MT ET Streets at the strip. They are the best of both worlds. On the way there , I have 32lbs of air, and at the track, I drop them down to 22 lbs. Make no mistake,......at 22 lbs. you have a bona fide drag slick under you. They launch me at 1.50 sec. 60' times, dead hook.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:10 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

what do mean?

I believe the et streets ss are drag radials. I know there are a couple other brands out there but I haven't really looked past the MT.
I was thinking other brands such as nitto or m and h.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Les
Race Director

Les - Do you know your measurement from the ground to the center of the wheel well in the rear?

I just replaced my 9 leaf with a 7 lead F41 and swapped the 6in bolts out for the 8in bolts and I am still pulling 29in from ground to the center of the wheel well.

But I haven't had it on the road yet. I guess the rumor on the street is that the spring and suspension will settle an inch or more once you get it out and drive it. Is that correct? I only got about an inch out of it total with the bottom nut about 3/4 of an inch up on the bolt.

VBP 550lb spring are going in next weekend. This winter has been a total overhaul.
I just measured 27 7/8" from floor to the high point of the fender opening. I'm on 8" bolts with only 2-3 threads showing at the bottom and I'm running a VBP composite spring. You'll get some settling with some road time but I'm not sure you'll see an inch.

Quick Reply: 255/60R15 Mickey Thompson ET Street SS