C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

two quick key buzzer questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:30 AM
jimkari
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default two quick key buzzer questions

I have a '73 conv with non-T&T. I'm doing a body off restoration and in doing so I replaced all the wiring harnesses. I'm now trying to get all the electrical items to work. When I hooked up all the wiring, I noticed the key buzzer will stay on if the door is opened regardless of whether the key is installed or not. I installed a new key buzzer switch and this helped, but if I remove the key and move the ignition switch a little I can get the buzzer to come on. When I pulled out the key buzzer I noticed the little tab on the ignition switch that I believe contacts the buzzer switch would stay down. I'm not sure if that is supposed to be spring loaded and stay up unless the key is installed. If so I'm thinking I may need to replace the ignition switch which brings me to my second question, do I need to remove the buzzer switch to remove the ignition switch. I broke the old buzzer switch trying to remove it and I hate to break the new one.

I really appreciate any advice on the two questions.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If you can get to the release tap on the ign cylinder, you should be able to slide it out without touching anything else.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The white plastic tab in the cylinder:
Extends when you insert the key.
Retracts when you pull the key out.
Retracts when you turn the key to ON.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

with hugie82 and Peterbuilt...and YES...if the white plastic tab stays down ....get a new lock cylinder. I know how to take an ignition lock cylinders apart so I can free it up...but it is hard to type out.

DUB
Old 02-11-2016, 08:06 PM
jimkari
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys, very helpful. I really appreciate the tips. I did find a nice photo of how to remove the ignition, but DUB I may take you up on your offer.

Have a great weekend.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To two quick key buzzer questions

Quick Reply: two quick key buzzer questions