C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

almost burnt to the ground...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:53 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Default almost burnt to the ground...

Well,,, could have...

About 2 years ago i installed a EZ EFI2.0 with electric fuel pump in the tank in Baby,,, I used the hard lines from the tank and they have worked great...

BUT... I also left all the other lines that go the the old, and removed, vapor canister... so,,,,,

So, I was running down the 14 freeway and this new mustang comes up besides me... and starts to get my attention... And I'm thinking,... does he really want me to make him feel so bad when i smoke that little pony?!?!?!
So, I look over, expecting some sort of rise to get me to spank his a$$... but no... no... not this time.... its... HEY!!! YOUR POURING GAS OUT ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! LIKE WTH?????!?!

I pull over open the drivers door and without getting out of the seat i look under the car, and right by the drivers door front the gas is pouring out.. omg...

I get out and look under, it was coming out of one of the vapor lines...
Went to the gas tank and took off the cap and released a lot of pressure in the tank.... when the pressure released, the gas stopped pumping out....

so... to any of you guys that got rid of the vapor canister,,, plug the lines well...

All is good... she is home and the problem is being addressed..

Last edited by pauldana; 02-11-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:12 AM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

I would need to hire an upholsterer to sew a button into that giant puckered spot in my driver's seat.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:19 AM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Scary stuff!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:20 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Wonder where the pressure came from?
Are you running a return line to the gas tank or dead head at the EZEFI?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:26 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Good thing someone was nice enough to let you know. Glad it was caught before it got bad.

I know how scary it is... I had a new 2004 Acura TL that blew a fuel line above the rear exhaust, just dumping a lot of gas all over the exhaust. Luckily I was just backing out of the driveway and smelled it and pulled back into the driveway shutting it off before it ignited. It could have been much worse if my wife had taken it, since she can not smell and would have kept driving.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlowAMouse
Wonder where the pressure came from?
Are you running a return line to the gas tank or dead head at the EZEFI?
i have a return line...,...

what happens here is the day was nice and warm... and the tank sits under our mufflers and pipes... between the nice warm sunny day, and the heat generated by the exhaust, AND the return lines extra heat being run up by the engine.. it was enough to warm up the gas... gas gets warm and expands... my gas cap is air tight... so the only place for the expanding gas to go was the vapor lines... as soon as i took the cap off and the tank released the pressure, the leak/pumping went away... But it was coming out like there was a mechanical pump hooked up to it... it would pump or percolate out the line up front near the driver header...
Old 02-11-2016, 12:30 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MIKE80
Good thing someone was nice enough to let you know. Glad it was caught before it got bad.

I know how scary it is... I had a new 2004 Acura TL that blew a fuel line above the rear exhaust, just dumping a lot of gas all over the exhaust. Luckily I was just backing out of the driveway and smelled it and pulled back into the driveway shutting it off before it ignited. It could have been much worse if my wife had taken it, since she can not smell and would have kept driving.

yea,,, We did a Hemi 5.7 VVT conversation on out 2010 Jeep JK... and missed a clamp on the pressure line on top of the engine... at a stop light started pouring gas...but the auto low pressure shut it down after about 2-3 seconds... but still gas everywhere,,,
Old 02-11-2016, 01:23 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

I guess this is another reminder of how important it is to keep an extinguisher on board. Old cars are old cars. Doesn't matter if it's a garage-built T-roadster or a '57 Caddy.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:27 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 454Luvr
I guess this is another reminder of how important it is to keep an extinguisher on board. Old cars are old cars. Doesn't matter if it's a garage-built T-roadster or a '57 Caddy.
I agree.... I do have a fire extinguisher in my car... and i did have my hands on it!!!
But what I was wondering at the time was... is it big enough?!?!?!!? its a very small unit i got behind my seat...
Old 02-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Paul, other than the massive fuel leak and almost burning the car to the ground how do you like the 2.0 system. I just installed it on my 408ci Cobra. I have fired it up but the weather here is not allowing any drive time. Curious on your experience. I have mine controlling the timing also.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:22 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
i have a return line...,...

what happens here is the day was nice and warm... and the tank sits under our mufflers and pipes... between the nice warm sunny day, and the heat generated by the exhaust, AND the return lines extra heat being run up by the engine.. it was enough to warm up the gas... gas gets warm and expands... my gas cap is air tight... so the only place for the expanding gas to go was the vapor lines... as soon as i took the cap off and the tank released the pressure, the leak/pumping went away... But it was coming out like there was a mechanical pump hooked up to it... it would pump or percolate out the line up front near the driver header...
ya, kinda thought that, the other factor is you are pumping fuel into a vessel which does not have any place for the air that is in that vessel to go. Hence pressure build up. May want to think about some sort of vent system.

I run the FAST XFI with an A2000 external electric pump. I have a vented gas cap and the factory vents to the vapor canister hooked up.
For the heat issue, I wrapped the mufflers and fuel lines that are around the exhaust with DEI heat wrap. Then to be REAL ****, on the -8an return line, I put a cooler with a fan in line...

Just glad to hear your car did not go POOF....
Old 02-11-2016, 03:35 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Paul, other than the massive fuel leak and almost burning the car to the ground how do you like the 2.0 system. I just installed it on my 408ci Cobra. I have fired it up but the weather here is not allowing any drive time. Curious on your experience. I have mine controlling the timing also.
First of all, its going to run like crap for the first 100-500 miles...
Its a learning computer, so it will put in per determined levels of A/F until it learns and maps everything out.... (mine also controls the timing as well)

The system is HIGHLY sensitive to RFI... EVERYTHING needs to be grounded, and kept as far away from any other wires as possible, especially spark and heavy current wires...

When it run it runs it is amazing... when EFI is around it SUCKS...
Old 02-11-2016, 03:55 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlowAMouse
ya, kinda thought that, the other factor is you are pumping fuel into a vessel which does not have any place for the air that is in that vessel to go. Hence pressure build up. May want to think about some sort of vent system.

I run the FAST XFI with an A2000 external electric pump. I have a vented gas cap and the factory vents to the vapor canister hooked up.
For the heat issue, I wrapped the mufflers and fuel lines that are around the exhaust with DEI heat wrap. Then to be REAL ****, on the -8an return line, I put a cooler with a fan in line...

Just glad to hear your car did not go POOF....
going to vent absolutely!!

my exhaust is also wrapped from front to back... not the mufflers..

maybe it would be a good idea to but in a small, like a ATF, cooler in line...
Old 02-11-2016, 04:02 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Always carry a big fire extinguisher with you. Not the fancy little chrome ones that will run out of gas before you put the fire out.

I got mine when I first got my Vette after some wires under my dash that were bubbified got hot and first smoked and then were actually on fire by the time I pulled over.
I was lucky and had a damp towel to put it out but the overwhelming feeling you can't do anything and your pride and joy would be burnt to the ground in front of you made my next stop NAPA where I got a big extinguisher.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:50 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Always carry a big fire extinguisher with you. Not the fancy little chrome ones that will run out of gas before you put the fire out.

I got mine when I first got my Vette after some wires under my dash that were bubbified got hot and first smoked and then were actually on fire by the time I pulled over.
I was lucky and had a damp towel to put it out but the overwhelming feeling you can't do anything and your pride and joy would be burnt to the ground in front of you made my next stop NAPA where I got a big extinguisher.
Defiantly getting a bigger one
Old 02-12-2016, 12:35 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Happened to me w/mech fuel pump. I installed a recirc line with a non-venting cap and a faulty liquid separator vlv on the tank to canister side. Once i filled up and made a right turn the fuel in the tank sloshed and forced itself past the liq sep vlv and into the canister. This was on my way to get it smogged. Well the smog tech caught it right away and maybe saved my car. Had to drive home w/o the gas cap on. BTW we still got it to pass smog that day.
Anyways ive posted this many times but it hard to realize how scary it is until u experience it yourself. Fuel flowing out next to the exh header will get your attention fast. And i replaced the liq sep vlv (now available) and use a vented cap

Last edited by cardo0; 02-12-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:26 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There is death....
Then death by fire. Not a could combination. Glad your ok

Get notified of new replies

To almost burnt to the ground...

Old 02-13-2016, 11:28 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I happy you and car survived......now about that fuel pressure in tank.....years ago, I converted to FI up north in Md. region, and it never gave me much notice about tank pressures, P/O had renewed the tank in my '72 , the canister was hooked up per stock setup, the float in the little black box is the gas/fuel separater to keep fuel outta the line forward to canister....down here in Florida, I noted the tank would build up pressure when pulling into the garage one day, smelling gas I pulled the cap off and it went woosh and of course no pressure....I got a locking vented gas cap then....and still smelled gas when tank was full, so I pulled all the water bonnet/hose off from around the filler, and noted a wet funny looking fitting to the left/front of the filler , I put a ton of good epoxy on it, after cleanup......cured THAT leak too....

Up north yet, I had put DPFI on it, using the stock feed and return lines, which work fine to this day.....near 21 years now.....here in FLORIDA the vented cap is necessary.....so I suggest you keep the OEM pressure cap, drive with maybe 1/2 tank to the inspection station, and put the OEM cap on the car, then afterward, replace with a vented cap, I like the locking caps because of tampering and the filler being right up top, an invitation.....
Old 02-13-2016, 12:10 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I use a vented gas cap on mine and a 1982 sending unit that has a provision for a return line and a vent to the canister ..
Old 02-13-2016, 12:34 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by diehrd
I use a vented gas cap on mine and a 1982 sending unit that has a provision for a return line and a vent to the canister ..
I am going to change to that this summer...

Quick Reply: almost burnt to the ground...