C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found my EZ-EFI 2.0 problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 11:11 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Default Found my EZ-EFI 2.0 problem...

When she runs good... omg... she runs like a bat out of hell.... BUT,,, when the EFI starts going south she runs like a scrap yard vega...

As many are aware that have the EZEFI they are highly susceptible to RFI.....

Well... seems i have a small head leak under the 4 and 6 exhaust, this leek will squirt water/antifreeze on the #4 and #6 plug... this is enough to cause the spark to misfire sometimes and thus cause error readings and misfires via the computer...

So... got to take the head off this weekend.. ugh....

Last edited by pauldana; 02-11-2016 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gdh (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 11:58 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

That's good news.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:15 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

An EFI error message that actually was right on the money. Nice find!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:22 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ddawson
That's good news.
Originally Posted by BlowAMouse
An EFI error message that actually was right on the money. Nice find!
only took me a year to find it!!1 lol!!!! : flag:
Old 02-11-2016, 06:43 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Glad that you finally tracked the issue down Paul. What a 'ell of an ordeal you have been through. Thank-you for always being so forthcoming and honest in describing your issues with the install. I am sure that many of us have book marked your threads.

Last edited by gdh; 02-11-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Good news/ bad news. Always good to find the problem and get it solved but requiring work. I'm hoping once the weather gets a little warmer I can get mine out for a few miles. Supposed to be wind chills in the -20 degree range. Not the best driving conditions for a topless roadster.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:13 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

How did you find that leak ? Did you pressure test the cooling system ?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:49 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gdh
Glad that you finally tracked the issue down Paul. What a 'ell of an ordeal you have been through. Thank-you for always being so forthcoming and honest in describing your issues with the install. I am sure that many of us have book marked your threads.
Well, thank you very much first of all yea, its been a love hate relationship with the EZ EFI... when its running right, you could not dream of better... but it is much to susceptible to EMI and they really do need to address this more in depth....

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Good news/ bad news. Always good to find the problem and get it solved but requiring work. I'm hoping once the weather gets a little warmer I can get mine out for a few miles. Supposed to be wind chills in the -20 degree range. Not the best driving conditions for a topless roadster.
make sure you have good grounds on everything ... and keep ALL EZEFI wires away form any and all car wiring..

Originally Posted by diehrd
How did you find that leak ? Did you pressure test the cooling system ?
water/antifreeze residue all over the plug wire/cap, and the sweet smell of antifreeze ... ... taking the head off this weekend:-(
Old 02-11-2016, 09:11 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

I am glad I got away from Fast , Holley has it down as far as the wiring and computers.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:14 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Get a whole stack of .1 mfd caps at about 50 volt rating, and bypass every input to ground at the computer with them, if a two conductor wire say for water and air temp....go across the two wires at the computer.....TPS take the output/middle terminal to ground with the cap, bypass the computer power input with a 100 mfd AND a .1 mfd cap also in parallel, IF it is indeed EMI you maybe want to put the computer into an aluminum box that is mounted to body metal, obviously use care on the wiring/mounting.....EMI is not your issue, bet odds, it's RFI sparks from the ignition system,

sounds like **** poor engineering to me......

Old 02-13-2016, 01:36 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

[QUOTE=mrvette;1591546748]
EMI is not your issue, bet odds, it's RFI sparks from the ignition system,

I think he means RFI ,, But you are spot on as to the issue but the problem is not the computer it is the wires leading to it that carry the interference to it .
Old 02-13-2016, 01:37 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mrvette
Get a whole stack of .1 mfd caps at about 50 volt rating, and bypass every input to ground at the computer with them, if a two conductor wire say for water and air temp....go across the two wires at the computer.....TPS take the output/middle terminal to ground with the cap, bypass the computer power input with a 100 mfd AND a .1 mfd cap also in parallel, IF it is indeed EMI you maybe want to put the computer into an aluminum box that is mounted to body metal, obviously use care on the wiring/mounting.....EMI is not your issue, bet odds, it's RFI sparks from the ignition system,

sounds like **** poor engineering to me......

It's RFI same basic thing... I was an RF engineer for 20 years..

Problems came from the water hitting the #4 and #6 wires at the plug boot
Old 02-22-2016, 03:25 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well... not exactly what I thought... lol :-)

So... Went to go fix the problem... had everything off,,,, Exhaust, intake, FI, water drained, distributor... everything...the next step was the head bolts... But I stopped, and thought I would take one more close examination.. Why? the back side of the headers were clean?!?!!? like WTF?!?!?! .... So, I take another very close look at what appeared to be a leak between the head gasket near the freezpluf behind the #4 and #6 exhaust ports... Still looked like a head gasket leak.. but since no spray was on the back of the headers I knew this could not be the problem....
Started to clean and examen EVERYTHING!!! took out the magnifying classes.. looked at water spots, which way they were splattering and falling... doing everything I could think of to track down the water problem....

After much looking I felt positive it was the hoses by the heater control valve were bad or loose... i determined this by looking at the inside if the hose to see sings of water exiting the clamp area,,, but after more testing and deliberation, I ruled that out... must be the valve itself leeking!! so i pressurized the unit under water... no leek..

FUDGE!!

then i noticed a small hole in the water puck bucket... a hole (as seen below) and this was the root of my problems...

The overfill tank... and now it all makes since...

I could take her out and drive 200 miles without a hiccup... park her for a little bit... drive some more, and all goes to poo...

What would happen, is that when parked and engine turned off, the temp would rise enough to pressure water out of the radiator into the tank, as it is supposed to) when this happened, because where the hole it, it would squirt to... and this hole was hidden behind the 2 heater hoses, thus you could not see it...

Old 02-22-2016, 03:40 PM
Kevin BC
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

A new series, CSI Palmdale.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:13 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Holly crap. Nice find. That's one for the ages
Old 02-22-2016, 07:23 PM
Luce
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Good find. I've found never jump to a almost fitting solution when it come to an EFI problem. ALL of the symptoms have to fit or you have not found the real problem.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:14 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

How is it you never noticed a puddle on the floor ? That tank should always have coolant in it , always not only after a long drive but on every drive.. ? ? ? ? ?

Get notified of new replies

To Found my EZ-EFI 2.0 problem...

Old 02-23-2016, 10:46 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kevin BC
A new series, CSI Palmdale.

Originally Posted by BlowAMouse
Holly crap. Nice find. That's one for the ages
bright side is... didn't have to take the head off and order and wait for the correct head gasket!!

Originally Posted by Luce
Good find. I've found never jump to a almost fitting solution when it come to an EFI problem. ALL of the symptoms have to fit or you have not found the real problem.
... ALL OF THE SYMPTOMS HAVE TO MATCH... SO SO SO CORRECT with these EFI units..

Originally Posted by diehrd
How is it you never noticed a puddle on the floor ? That tank should always have coolant in it , always not only after a long drive but on every drive.. ? ? ? ? ?
What little water came out was not enough to make big puddles, just enough to spray the plug wire for a brief second to make my life hell

never checked the tank, as I always check the radiator, and it is usual 1/2 inch from the top... I top it off, squirts on the plug wire,,,,,
Old 02-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Quiet an investigation, that was fun reading.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:25 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well.... When it rains.... it pours:-)

That was 50% of the water problem.... the EZEFI 2.0 is HIGHLY SUSCEPTIBLE TO WATER...

The leak mentioned above would spray on the plug wires and caps making a lot of EFI that plays havoc on the EFI computer...

The other... found a few days ago, ... was a bad radiator cap.. it would leek or spray a fine mist, this mist would collect onto the CAI underneath and follow that back to near the thermostat housing, then dripping and puddling near it... then the turbulence under the hood would then mist it pint to MAF sensor under the front bowl of the EFI... then make it run like poo....

fixed.... so far... 100% good:-)

Quick Reply: Found my EZ-EFI 2.0 problem...