C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 11:59 AM
jimmyz74
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom air cleaner

I have a 76 with a holley double pumper and edelbrock performer intake on it. Everything I have read talks about clearance being an issue, so I got an l88 air cleaner base to drop the cleaner assembly. Clearance is no longer an issue, but I would like to keep the snorkel and factory look for asthetics as well as a good cold air source. Has anyone ever fabricated the factory are cleaner assembly using an l88 base? I am thinking about cutting both pieces apart and flange/weld them together.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:57 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Sounds like it would work as long as the snorkle would clear the fan and pulleys after it dropped down onto the new lower base.
Metal is pretty thin and hard to weld unless you got a tig welder. Mig could probably get it done if done carefully.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Sounds like it would work as long as the snorkle would clear the fan and pulleys after it dropped down onto the new lower base.
Metal is pretty thin and hard to weld unless you got a tig welder. Mig could probably get it done if done carefully.
Seems like a bit of cutting and welding.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To custom air cleaner

Quick Reply: custom air cleaner