C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glassed in pace car spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:16 PM
10Seconds918
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Glassed in pace car spoilers

I know i have seen it but cant seem to find any pics now. I am glassing in my bumpers and getting rid of the seams, wanted to see it done with the pace car spoiler.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

DUB
Old 02-14-2016, 07:35 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

not a fan
Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I know most of the spoilers are urethane for good reason. That low on the front end is really susceptible to curb/parking stop strikes and road debris. Urethane gives some flex and movement without breaking. Solid fiberglass would be guaranteed breakage in same scenario.

You would have to use a solid glass spoiler to mold in, obviously. Sounds like multiplying issues & concerns. Now with any breakage it's a huge job to repair instead of just unbolting AND will likely stress/break the joint where molded in creating a larger repair.

I'd steer clear unless strictly a show car.

...and getting a from DUB is not a good sign If he decides to comment in, listen closely.

Last edited by Ibanez540r; 02-14-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:24 AM
10Seconds918
Instructor

I should clarify, I am talking about the REAR spoiler, not the front. I do agree the front glassed in could be asking for trouble. I already am set on glassing in the nose and tail of the car for the look.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r

You would have to use a solid glass spoiler to mold in, obviously. Sounds like multiplying issues & concerns. Now with any breakage it's a huge job to repair instead of just unbolting AND will likely stress/break the joint where molded in creating a larger repair.

I'd steer clear unless strictly a show car.
Although MANY people have done what you are going to do....I do not do it. UNLESS the Corvette is a show car.

FIRST OFF is the integrity of the bumpers you plan on glassing on. I can tell you what they make today is NOT like what they made back in the mid 80's. So...right off the bat...you have a part that is NOT as solid as the factory body.

Then you have to consider the angle of the body flange and part....along with the THICKNESS of these two parts and how they come together so you can fill in the seam.
Or maybe not consider any of this and do it the way you are thinking. Do not be surprised if you get a 'ghost line' appear.

The same holds true for the rear spoiler.

I KNOW many people who have done this are giving me the 'middle finger salute' and I am FINE with that. Heck...I am NOT judging what a person does to their Corvette. but just because a person chooses to do something to it does not mean that I have to agree with it...and I have my reasons.

I know how to get rigid fiberglass bumpers to fit perfectly and the seam is really clean and tight. This way the part can be removed if needed. Because if I have to service fuel hoses at the fuel tank..can still be done but is a bit more FUN....just one example.

Then next is this....and this has happened to me. I did a molded in rear bumper on a 1981 decades ago...the Corvette left and was rear ended a few days later...and busted it all up. The owner REALLY LOVED what he got charged to do it all over again. Like I told him when he paid for it initially... "You wanted 'CUSTOM'...you got custom. Now it is time to pay the price for doing something CUSTOM". And he could not understand why it cost MUCH MORE the second time around. Common sense should easily make sense on WHY it costs more the second time around.

I wish you all the success in your project.

DUB
Old 02-15-2016, 08:59 PM
10Seconds918
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
Although MANY people have done what you are going to do....I do not do it. UNLESS the Corvette is a show car.

FIRST OFF is the integrity of the bumpers you plan on glassing on. I can tell you what they make today is NOT like what they made back in the mid 80's. So...right off the bat...you have a part that is NOT as solid as the factory body.

Then you have to consider the angle of the body flange and part....along with the THICKNESS of these two parts and how they come together so you can fill in the seam.
Or maybe not consider any of this and do it the way you are thinking. Do not be surprised if you get a 'ghost line' appear.

The same holds true for the rear spoiler.

I KNOW many people who have done this are giving me the 'middle finger salute' and I am FINE with that. Heck...I am NOT judging what a person does to their Corvette. but just because a person chooses to do something to it does not mean that I have to agree with it...and I have my reasons.

I know how to get rigid fiberglass bumpers to fit perfectly and the seam is really clean and tight. This way the part can be removed if needed. Because if I have to service fuel hoses at the fuel tank..can still be done but is a bit more FUN....just one example.

Then next is this....and this has happened to me. I did a molded in rear bumper on a 1981 decades ago...the Corvette left and was rear ended a few days later...and busted it all up. The owner REALLY LOVED what he got charged to do it all over again. Like I told him when he paid for it initially... "You wanted 'CUSTOM'...you got custom. Now it is time to pay the price for doing something CUSTOM". And he could not understand why it cost MUCH MORE the second time around. Common sense should easily make sense on WHY it costs more the second time around.

I wish you all the success in your project.

DUB
Dub, I appreciate your input. I do understand that custom costs more. Every car I own I make custom. I want them to look like show cars and I might not drive them all that much, but when I do, I love to drive the heck out of them. This is what I enjoy doing for fun, I dont look at it like an investment and I dont treat them that way.

I realize that not everyone likes what I do, thats ok. What I hoped for with this thead was more pictures and less judgment. Can't win them all I guess.

Right not, I am really liking this look in the pic below, but instead of grafting on a early rear and bumpers, was thinking of putting my own twist on it using a pace car spoiler.

Heck, I didnt even intend to have a c3 and ended up with it by accident and it grew on me.

Oh and lastly on your customer who was rear ended, he should have not cared what the cost was and made darn sure it was done at least as good as before, thats what insurance is for (and selfish plug to my former profession, lawyers too ). Life is too short to stress over such details.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:45 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 177 Posts

couple photos of a local club car, front and back glassed in. sorry couldn't find any better rear photos.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:19 AM
waljr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a "Cars n Parts" article a while ago that showed how to replace guards, I'm guessing it would be a similar process.
I asked about the cracking of seamless noses somewhere( not sure if it was here or somewhere else) apparently one of the reasons was worn or soft body mounts. I'd love to see a write up if you go that way
Old 02-16-2016, 08:50 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I like the look of the front and back smoothed out no seams in the body.It looks good .The challenge is to do it and have no cracks a few years later.I am sure someone has done it and had no problem .The car you posted looked great.I am sure you will do a good job.i found this https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lass-nose.html

Last edited by terry82; 02-16-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

As I wrote in the 5th paragraph of my previous post. I AM NOT JUDGING YOU. Do to your Corvette as you wish.

All I was trying to do is let you know that some preliminary work may need to be done before they get bonded to the body.

Kinda funny how the new bumpers in this thread I linked below are being strengthened by adding more mat and resin because of their integrity..as I stated in paragraph #2 in my previous post.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lass-nose.html

Was just trying to give you first person feedback and advice.

Originally Posted by 10Seconds918
Oh and lastly on your customer who was rear ended, he should have not cared what the cost was and made darn sure it was done at least as good as before, thats what insurance is for (and selfish plug to my former profession, lawyers too ). Life is too short to stress over such details.
Easy to say. "Just fix it...insurance will pay for it"...But I take numbers that are written on a piece of paper in a form of an estimate and then have to do the work. And trying to get an insurance adjuster to see what needs to be done due to it being custom is often times like pulling teeth. Adjusters deal with very day throw away cars....so getting them to grasp the reality of what needs to be done is quite adventurous ...to say the least. It gets quite involved.

As I previously wrote...I wish you all the success in your project. And I DO SINCERELY mean that.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Glassed in pace car spoilers

Quick Reply: Glassed in pace car spoilers