C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Cleaner assembly help

Old 09-04-2002, 05:23 PM
Fasteighty
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cleaner assembly help

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but here it goes:
I have the stock dual snorkel set up on my 80, but I would really like to change it to an open air filter assembly (Chrome). I was looking at all the vac lines coming out of the carb/pvc etc that hook into the dual snorkel and was wondering where the heck are all these lines going to go on an open assembly? If anyone has any words of wisdom on this please feel free to comment, as i'm just starting to learn how to work on my vette.
Thanks!
Old 09-04-2002, 05:39 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Air Cleaner assembly help (Fasteighty)

Your factory dual snorkel assembly will give you more power than that fancy chrome after market open air element. Factory set up pulls in the much cooler air from front of engine and this cooler air will make more power than the hot engine compartment air will.

You can purchase a chrome cover for you factory air cleaner assembly, in fact the '81 vettes came with a chrome air cleaner lid.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Enkil
Instructor

They go to... nowhere. :D

On your dual snorkel setup, you'll notice two round circles sticking up form the assembly, one on each snorkel. Those are a part of the emissions components, referred to as thermac's or thermostatic air control. Anyways, when the engine is cold, vacuum shuts off the valves in the thermac, and then your engine sucks in warm air off the manifolds to help it warm up faster. On the driver's side of the engine you should have a flexable piece of tubing running from the manifold to the bottom of the snorkel. If you don't, no biggie... But you should be able to tell where it goes. The passenger's side doesn't have a heat riser hose, so that snorkel is just inoperative while the engine is warming up. Once it's up to temperature, both valves open and you're using both snorkels.

So, the two lines that run to that can simply be capped off since there isn't going to be any thermac's on the open element filter.

The breather element can just be relocated. (It's the near 3/4" thick piece of tubing that goes into the air filter and has a small filter on the end of it.)

Any sensors you may have can usually be relocated inside the open element air filter.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:09 PM
MY63Z11
Advanced

Cant help with the air filter But That car looks really clean nice Pic

:cheers:

Walt
Old 09-04-2002, 11:21 PM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: Air Cleaner assembly help (MY63Z11)

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I will just get a nice chrome cover based on the comments.

Walt...thanks for the nice words on the picture. It's not quite so nice up close. Lots of small imperfections in the paint job that need to be fixed, but not bad for 22 yr old paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Cleaner assembly help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Cleaner assembly help