C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kickpanel depth needed for speaker placement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Kickpanel depth needed for speaker placement.

What is the maximum depth of the opening on both the driver and passenger kick panel on a 75 coupe?

I'm thinking of purchasing 6 1/2" speakers to mount in the kickpanels with only minor modifications and I would like to not add the speaker covers. The speaker/s I have in mind have a maximum depth of 2 3/8".

Thanks
Old 03-18-2016, 12:19 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

[QUOTE=Maymyvetteliveforevr;1591800077]What is the maximum depth of the opening on both the driver and passenger kick panel on a 75 coupe?

I'm thinking of purchasing 6 1/2" speakers to mount in the kickpanels with only minor modifications and I would like to not add the speaker covers. The speaker/s I have in mind have a maximum depth of 2 3/8".

Thanks[/QUOTE

You'll find sheet metal behind the kick panels and that can be removed with an air grinder and carbide cutter. Pull your driver's side kick panel off to see what that sheet metal looks like. You may be able to cut a hole in the sheet metal big enough for your speaker magnet to poke thru.
The following users liked this post:
Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
...What is the maximum depth of the opening on both the driver and passenger kick panel on a 75 coupe?...
I don't want to overstate the obvious, but if you remove a kick panel, you can measure the distance.

...The speaker/s I have in mind have a maximum depth of 2 3/8"...
You've probably got that much room.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 03-18-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

[QUOTE=toobroketoretire;1591800160
You'll find sheet metal behind the kick panels and that can be removed with an air grinder and carbide cutter. Pull your driver's side kick panel off to see what that sheet metal looks like. You may be able to cut a hole in the sheet metal big enough for your speaker magnet to poke thru.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the reply. I don't want to cut into the kickpanel cavity, I prefer to purchase a speaker that doesn't require modifications to the car body.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
I don't want to overstate the obvious, but if you remove a kick panel, you can measure the distance.

You've probably got that much room.

Thanks Mike, as that is obvious, but as the car is stored and the garage is full, I prefer not to spend an hour trying to get at that location in order to take dimensions.

As for "You've probably got that much room.", I'd prefer a dimension as I don't want to return the speakers if it doesn't fit.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:46 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

It's 2-1/2". My 6-1/2" Infinity 6032si speakers have a 2" mounting depth: http://www.infinityspeakers.com/spea...CE+6032SI.html They fit easily behind the kick panel but a little trimming of the speaker frame was required as I pointed this out in your other thread. You might be able to use a 1/4"-1/2" speaker spacer behind the panel. They're very cheap to buy so get them and do a test fit. It might save some cutting of the speaker frame. I would NOT start cutting up my car to fit speakers in there.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

resdoggie

Thanks for the reply, at 2 1/2" that only leaves me with 1/8" to spare if the speaker depth is 2 3/8". If I use spacers that may prevent the kick panel it's self from fitting properly.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:32 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Or maybe not. Tape a 1/2" piece of something over the opening and see if the panel fits over it. I'm actually going to replace my Infinity speakers with new 6-1/2" Focals that have a 2-1/2" mounting depth. I'm about a week behind you in the install process. I'll be buying 1/2" spacers and try them behind the kick panel but I will need to cut holes in my panels anyway because the tweeter sits well above the mounting surface of the speaker.

Last edited by resdoggie; 03-18-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-20-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:27 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
What is the maximum depth of the opening on both the driver and passenger kick panel on a 75 coupe?

Thanks
Frank, I just measured my car:

- depth of opening in birdcage: approx. 2 1/2"
- space between birdcage and installed kick panel: approx. 1/2"
- depth from front of installed kick panel: approx. 3 1/8"

Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

resdoggie Since I'm located in Canada I need to place the order in the next couple days as I'm heading to Niagara Falls NY in a couple weeks for pick up. My install date is most likely in a month.[/QUOTE]

7t2vette That's exactly the information I'm looking for, thanks Bruce. I wasn't expecting you to actually go out and measure but do appreciate the time it took to get me a detailed measurement list.

It looks as though it's between MTX thunder ($200.00 US.) and Kicker CSS65, (150.00 US.) they're both 6.5" and components. I do appreciate good quality sound and I believe both will achieve this when paired up with the rest of my system. If anything the MTX maybe better quality.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 03-20-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Kickpanel depth needed for speaker placement.

Quick Reply: Kickpanel depth needed for speaker placement.