C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 corvette crossfire help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:55 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

keep at it you will get there.i just went out to my car and cleaned out the iac ports .seems to be a little better .http://www.crossfireinjection.net/gallery.htm take a look and see if theres any thing that can help you on your 82

Last edited by terry82; 07-19-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 AM
lancer013
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update so far just got and swaped out old iac and put new ones in yanked old sparkplugs and installed new one will try and start it up tomorrow hoping for the best
Old 07-25-2016, 01:43 AM
hpxt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lancer013
When it was running good i was impressed it also has a chip to want to put headers also once eveything running good does anyone know anyone good in hawaii who fixes cfi
I know of several Vette shops on Oahu, but hard to get an appointment with them. I'd suggest checking out our Vette Club. The president (Dennis) knows everything Vette and might be able to help.
Mike

http://www.corvetteclubofhawaii.com/Information.html
Old 07-25-2016, 01:52 AM
lancer013
Instructor

Im on big island but will do thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 10:48 PM
lancer013
Instructor

It runs but still have a problem show coolant temp sensor to low maf map to low throttle position to low car idle great and smooth but when goin to drive it will go to 2k and kind of bog then feels like not. Shifting to next gear
Old 07-26-2016, 12:36 AM
lancer013
Instructor

Seems like there gas leaking from bottom of secondary
Old 07-26-2016, 06:59 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

If you have a fuel leak in one of your injectors that is not good .But after you work on or change the iacs,you have to drive a few miles for the computer to relearn.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It runs but still have a problem show coolant temp sensor to low maf map to low throttle position to low car idle great and smooth but when goin to drive it will go to 2k and kind of bog then feels like not. Shifting to next gear
This is hard to read. I can not make out what you were trying to communicate. part of it i can..but not all the way.

A leaking fuel injector is NOT good at all.

I assume you have verified correct fuel pressure?

Are you connecting a scanner to this and getting these readings of your TPS, etc????

If you drive the car...you have to get above 35 MPH for the IAC's to set correctly.

DUB
Old 07-27-2016, 01:34 AM
lancer013
Instructor

Yes codes are on code reader im having maf/map sensors to low coolant tempswitch to low
Coolant temp switch to high and tps to low all at same time fuel is leakinfrom under second tb i drove car over 50 for 1mile and problem got worse it would idle on its own now canoot idle without me given it gas
Old 07-27-2016, 05:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Yes codes are on code reader im having maf/map sensors to low coolant tempswitch to low
Coolant temp switch to high and tps to low all at same time fuel is leakinfrom under second tb i drove car over 50 for 1mile and problem got worse it would idle on its own now canoot idle without me given it gas
It would be GREAT if you can give us the trouble codes.

I am sure you know that a code reader (depending on design) just does that...only will read codes and does not give data when the engine is running. You want a scanner that will give you engine data WHEN it is running.

I can tell you that with a problem in the coolant temp sensor..this engine WILL NOT RUN CORRECTLY...and when you combine TPS issues and a leaking fuel injector...There is a lot that needs repair before you go and drive it again.

If you are working on this yourself...All I can say is get GM service manual, scanner that gives you data when it is running and the other tools needed to run the diagnostics to get these issues repaired.

I personally would not do anything to your IAC's at this time. They are touchy (electrically) and you can screw them up if you are not careful.

Hopefully you have not messed around with any welded idle adjustments on the throttle bodies also.

AND..that leaking fuel injector is REALLY NOT GOOD...and will screw everything up...but it by itself is NOT causing the problems you are having with the coolant temp sensor and TPS/MAP.

DUB
Old 07-27-2016, 10:59 PM
lancer013
Instructor

As of right now car is like this
Also tps is the only thing i didnt change would that effect if its faulty and code comin up on reader are still maf to low and tps to low would one of these make surging will idle fine for a while then go into surging then back to running do you think i should get new tb or how do i clean them real good
Old 07-28-2016, 12:10 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

your tb is dirty, but not your problem.they can be cleaned with carb cleaner.your injectors may not have the best spray pattern ,use fuel injector cleaner.you need to check your setting for the tps.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

From the sound when you were at the engine..I SWEAR I am hearing an IAC that is NOT right and sucking in air like crazy....which if I knew what your voltage at your MAP sensor was...it could direct me to letting you know if you have a vacuum leak ...which I BET you have.

Are you using a scanner when it is running?????

You do not have a MAF ( mas air flow)....you have a MAP ( manifold air pressure)

With a scanner you could read the MAP voltage value and give that...because THAT is important.

I doubt you have verified your fuel pressure when it is running...or have you????

What did you do to repair the COOLANT TEMP SENSOR problem????

Do you have your 1982 Corvette factory service manual yet????

YES...your TPS being off enough can cause for an issue but I doubt that is the ONLY issue you have.

DUB
Old 07-28-2016, 08:11 PM
lancer013
Instructor

Terry thanks ill add cleaner to gas and try and clean tb do i have to take off iac
Dub
Yes those are the iac and there both sucking alot
I tested for vac leak i havent found any re tighten bolts on pleum
Im only using a code reader will try and get a scanner i know i have a map but if u watch my other video that what the code reader calls it i havent check fuel pressure im goin to order a gauge for betweennthe to tb i havent touch the coolant temp on code reader comes and goes im ordering a maunal sooni have tps all the way up due to the code reader telling me its to low also the vechile will come unresponsive to reader from time to time which is best scanner to get
Old 07-28-2016, 09:41 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

before you put in the new iac ,did you spray carb cleaner inside the hole. ?the seat for the pintels has to be clean.also where the hole for the air comes in on the top of tb clean that allso.keep the carb cleaner off the iac except for the tip or what is called the pintel.when that is done check the tps . I thought you changed the coolant sensor and put in new fuel pump?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:43 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

http://crossfireinjection.net/faqs.htm
Old 07-28-2016, 10:12 PM
lancer013
Instructor

Yes there a brand new coolant temp sensor new fuel pump and sending unit new map new plugs new 02 sensor new iacs new ecm but ill take off iac and cleab everything good and scrub it

Get notified of new replies

To 82 corvette crossfire help

Old 07-29-2016, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Yes there a brand new coolant temp sensor new fuel pump and sending unit new map new plugs new 02 sensor new iacs new ecm but ill take off iac and cleab everything good and scrub it
You have to be careful when messing around with the IAC's. GM mentions this in the manual and the process you should follow so no damage occurs to them.

I DO KNOW..that IF you did not get the two wires to the NEW COOLANT SENSOR CORRECT..and they are backwards...the engine WILL NOT RUN RIGHT!

Honestly...I know you want to work on this...but if I could offer any more advice..I would WAIT until you can get the scanner...and the GM manual so you can verify stuff.

YOUR MAP voltage with be a good tell tale sign....along with the other stuff I mentioned.

AND...I hope you have not messed around with the facotry settings on your throttle bodies.

DUB
Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 PM
lancer013
Instructor

No not messig with tb im goin to try and do tps which would be best way to adjust i know the coolant temp switch only goes in one way but i can double check im working on getting the scanner and manual but ill try adjust tbs forst which would be best wayp
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

It is getting a bit exhausting trying to read and understand what you write due to no punctuation...

Not knowing if you replaced the COOLANT TEMP SENSOR with the new design ...which would require a new connector..and you cutting out the old one and installing the new one.

I have the special jumper lead that I can attach to the TPS and adjust it with my voltmeter..and I can also adjust it when my scanner is connected.

DUB

Quick Reply: 82 corvette crossfire help