C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side door ajar

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:25 AM
Feflicker
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side door ajar

Hey guys, I read a few threads about this but I'm lost. Hoping someone can help

My driver side door ajar started acting up a few weeks ago. Now the indicator is permanently on. I was able to wiggle the switch and get it to go off until tonight. Now it's stuck on...

I pulled out the switch, there are 2 wires. It APPEARS by looking at the switch is the way it works is when the plunger is depressed by the door it breaks the circuit. (I assume there's a relay somewhere that gets released when the circuit is broken by the switch?)

Here's where it gets interesting. If I remove either terminal, the light stays on. If I ground either terminal, light stays on. If I bridge the two terminals, you guessed it, light stays on. Now I'm totally confused how this thing works!

I was planning to just disable the switch, the concept of a "door ajar" on a 2 door car is completely baffling in the first place...

BTW, the hood was closed!!! I read in a thread that an open hood will also trip the indicator...

Any help is appreciated

EDIT: 1976 C3 Stingray!

Last edited by Feflicker; 04-13-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Feflicker
...the concept of a "door ajar" on a 2 door car is completely baffling in the first place...
What is baffling about knowing a door may not be fully closed?

...BTW, the hood was closed!!! I read in a thread that an open hood will also trip the indicator...
The hood switch is for the alarm system and has nothing to do with door ajar. Different system; different switches.

Check the passenger's side door ajar switch. It can also trip the door ajar.

The following users liked this post:
Feflicker (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Feflicker
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
What is baffling about knowing a door may not be fully closed?

The hood switch is for the alarm system and has nothing to do with door ajar. Different system; different switches.

Check the passenger's side door ajar switch. It can also trip the door ajar.

I hear you, imo one door is inches away, the other a few feet, I'd clearly know if it was open or not, so it's kind of silly to me. But that's just me, we all think differently lol...

The drivers side had been acting up, the passengers side is actually removed completely by previous owner.

Does anyone know a quick way to just disable it? (the only thing I can think of is to remove the bulb, which could be a little bit of a pain to get it, ive never removed that console before...)
Old 04-13-2016, 02:19 PM
Billem
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

When door is open it is ajar. When a pickle jar is open, is it a door?
Just wonnering. Have a wonnerful week, Bill
The following users liked this post:
Feflicker (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Feflicker
Hey guys, I read a few threads about this but I'm lost. Hoping someone can help

My driver side door ajar started acting up a few weeks ago. Now the indicator is permanently on. I was able to wiggle the switch and get it to go off until tonight. Now it's stuck on...

I pulled out the switch, there are 2 wires. It APPEARS by looking at the switch is the way it works is when the plunger is depressed by the door it breaks the circuit. (I assume there's a relay somewhere that gets released when the circuit is broken by the switch?)

Here's where it gets interesting. If I remove either terminal, the light stays on. If I ground either terminal, light stays on. If I bridge the two terminals, you guessed it, light stays on. Now I'm totally confused how this thing works!

I was planning to just disable the switch, the concept of a "door ajar" on a 2 door car is completely baffling in the first place...

BTW, the hood was closed!!! I read in a thread that an open hood will also trip the indicator...

Any help is appreciated

EDIT: 1976 C3 Stingray!
At least in the older ones there is no relay, the power goes through that switch along with the others. When the door is closed, the plunger pushes the contacts away and breaks the circuit. When the door (whichever one) is ajar, the plunger is out and makes contact turning on the light.

If you have the drivers switch out, when you press it in by hand you should see the contact not being make, if the light is still on, it's likely one of the other switches or a pinched wire somewhere

HIH
M
Old 04-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Feflicker
Heel & Toe

Appreciate it Mooser, I'll have to find a wiring diagram and try and figure it out. The way you are explaining the switch makes way more sense than involving a relay. My switch is broken so it made it more confusing (the threaded part is separated from the rest of the switch).

-Norm
Old 04-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-anyone.html

M
Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There is a 12 plug connector down by the drivers kick panel, disconnect the blue wire and the door ajar light will go out.

http://www.vetteprojects.com/bmv/mis...tte%201976.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers side door ajar

Quick Reply: Drivers side door ajar