C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main bearing cap bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I would have gone to talk to my local auto machinist they probably have a nice factory bolt laying around somewhere. The OEM GM bolts are 300 M chrome Molly steel and quite capable of doing the job! We used GM fasteners for years as did Bill Jenkins in his championship Pro Stock motors....

Are you sure the NCRS won't penalize you for removing a factory correct nylon coated timing gear?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:09 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Get that tongue out of your cheek....
Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 PM
irelandr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
I would have gone to talk to my local auto machinist they probably have a nice factory bolt laying around somewhere. The OEM GM bolts are 300 M chrome Molly steel and quite capable of doing the job! We used GM fasteners for years as did Bill Jenkins in his championship Pro Stock motors....

Are you sure the NCRS won't penalize you for removing a factory correct nylon coated timing gear?
Not worried about it but if they insisted I would be glad to give it to them.. I sure remember as a young kid working in a gas station changing quite a few, some had no teeth and he engine spun like it had no compression at all, replaced everyone with a metal one, never on a vette so never worried about NCRS.

Quick Reply: Main bearing cap bolts