C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight problem...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:21 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Headlight problem...

I read so many threads on this forum regarding troubleshooting headlights. I still can't figure out whats wrong with mine.
My drivers side headlight will retract but it won't open when I turn my headlights on. When I turn the lights off the headlight bucket retracts perfectly. Passenger side bucked opens and closes perfectly. What I notice is if I manually push down the passenger side bucket (the side that works perfectly) I can hear and feel air coming out of the bottom of the vacuum actuator relay valve on the passenger side. If I manually retract the drivers side (the side that doesn't retract on its own) I don't hear that air. Does this mean I have a problem with the drivers side actuator. Is this where the relay draws its air from?
Until I can figure this out I just am using the manual override **** and leaving the headlight buckets up all the time.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check the vacuum relay for the driver's side light.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,245 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default This might help.

http://www.corvette-101.com/vacuum.htm
Old 04-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Mountainoakie
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should never hear air coming from the relay valve. Which means you have a relay valve that is leaking real bad.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,292 Likes on 1,012 Posts

When the spool inside the relay changes state the headlight actuator will exhaust that trapped pressure out the bottom of the relay valve.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:29 PM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountainoakie
You should never hear air coming from the relay valve. Which means you have a relay valve that is leaking real bad.
The relay valve that is exhausting the air is the side passenger side light and that side works perfectly. The drivers side relay valve doesn't make any noise and that side doesn't work. By the looks of it.. to me.. it looks like some kind of exhaust port almost like a blow off valve.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight problem...

Quick Reply: Headlight problem...