C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this acceptable amount of rust on a 1978?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:09 PM
Seeker95
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is this acceptable amount of rust on a 1978?

I'm looking at a 1978 with 40000 miles and was just curious if this looks pretty normal for what appears to just be surface rust.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2016, 09:54 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Yes,I'd be good with it depending on where you live in the country, however you could find ones with a lot less.

I'd be more concerned with the condition of the rubber and bushings.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Id be more concerned with someone who says theres only 40K miles on a car thats almost 40 years old? Can you verify the mileage? Pay close attention to the carpet under the gas pedal and the clutch pedal? Are they worn? With only 40K, they should show almost no wear.

As far as the rust.....take a look at the known problem areas....the rear kickups and the door sills. That may just be surface rust, but Id like to know what the other critical areas look like.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:12 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Cars look like this that have sat outside for long periods of time generally over dirt or even a gravel driveway. I don't see anything in this picture to be alarmed about but I'd be more curious to know what lurks behind the kick panels. They they will tell you the true story.

I advise all customers buying any C3 to pull the kick panels from the car and inspect the lower A pillar. I also tell them to see if the seller will allow you to remove the header molding from inside the car and even the pillar post moldings.. The C3 cars are susceptible to rust on the windshield frame... and generally the water ends up on top the body mounting bolt in the A pillar.

IMHO,

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
hunt4cleanair (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Seeker95
Intermediate

<br >
Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Cars look like this that have sat outside for long periods of time generally over dirt or even a gravel driveway. I don't see anything in this picture to be alarmed about but I'd be more curious to know what lurks behind the kick panels. They they will tell you the true story.

I advise all customers buying any C3 to pull the kick panels from the car and inspect the lower A pillar. I also tell them to see if the seller will allow you to remove the header molding from inside the car and even the pillar post moldings.. The C3 cars are susceptible to rust on the windshield frame... and generally the water ends up on top the body mounting bolt in the A pillar.

IMHO,

Willcox
<br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br >
Old 04-21-2016, 04:33 PM
Seeker95
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

IMHO,

Willcox
Thank you all for your imput really appreciate you taking the time.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:57 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 544 Posts

I have a 78 and had almost the same amount of surface rust on it. As said above, if they sit on gravel or grass that is what happens. I also had issues with my floor pans, also from sitting. No water was getting inside the car, it was all humidity and moisture coming from underneath it. Had to replace the pans, that was the only issue I had with rust. Your car looks pretty clean. I would rather have some visible issues like that than one that was all newly painted and you don't know what's under it. Looks like a good base to start a project or two.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Seeker95
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kanvasman
I have a 78 and had almost the same amount of surface rust on it. As said above, if they sit on gravel or grass that is what happens. I also had issues with my floor pans, also from sitting. No water was getting inside the car, it was all humidity and moisture coming from underneath it. Had to replace the pans, that was the only issue I had with rust. Your car looks pretty clean. I would rather have some visible issues like that than one that was all newly painted and you don't know what's under it. Looks like a good base to start a project or two.
Thanks K that's what I was thinking. Going to be a project to get the rust off and treated but guessing that's part of the fun.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:57 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

The interior photos are revealing...I see carpet wear and seat use but nothing extensive. You can see some carpet color discoloration from front to back but I would conclude its a 40k mile car rather than 140k mile car. The seats show they are broken in but the color is nice and not worn or ragged. The trim tag has had the paint removed...ask for a photo of the trim tag. It should say its a blue on blue vette. The steering wheel does not show extensive wear. I look for cracks in the leather covered wheel.

It has rear speakers...actually nice looking interior. The paint on the door jambs look fresh...glossy but that could be photo flash.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like a 40K mile car to me. Very nice.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:07 AM
Seeker95
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
The interior photos are revealing...I see carpet wear and seat use but nothing extensive. You can see some carpet color discoloration from front to back but I would conclude its a 40k mile car rather than 140k mile car. The seats show they are broken in but the color is nice and not worn or ragged. The trim tag has had the paint removed...ask for a photo of the trim tag. It should say its a blue on blue vette. The steering wheel does not show extensive wear. I look for cracks in the leather covered wheel.

It has rear speakers...actually nice looking interior. The paint on the door jambs look fresh...glossy but that could be photo flash.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much that does help a lot I appreciate you taking a look.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Seeker95
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgcable
Looks like a 40K mile car to me. Very nice.
Cool thanks I really like it but trying not to get too exited about it...very difficult for me

Get notified of new replies

To Is this acceptable amount of rust on a 1978?

Quick Reply: Is this acceptable amount of rust on a 1978?