C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

antenna removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:27 AM
kuntaa
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna removal

I have a 1980 corvette and I need to remove the antenna and motor, but don't know how. Help me
Old 04-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You'll probably have to slide the LH muffler out of the way in order to see it. It mounts on the fender skirt. Do you have the assembly instruction manual (AIM)? The AIM shows how the power antenna was installed at the factory. Knowing how it went in is often useful when taking it out.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:22 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Dropping the muffler down or taking it off is a must to access the bracket bolts. The top flange just unscrews. I use bent needle nose pliers or snap ring pliers to set in the recesses to turn it. The rest of the antenna is obvious from underneath.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah, the muffler and even the gas tank are removed in my pic, but I wasn't working on the antenna

I've removed and replaced many of this style and the earlier 78-e79 style with the muffler in place.
I find simply lying flat on my back with the car on the ground, no jacks or ramps, gives me ideal access to the antenna mount.
Also, behind the driver side rear speaker or blockoff panel you will find connectors for both the antenna wires and co/ac cable that you can disconnect(tho not on 78-e79 style).
When you remove the rubber grommet in the inner fender you can pull the harnesses out with the antenna.
Like mentioned, a needle nose pliers can often be used to unscrew the upper chrome bezel.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:36 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

I disagree with the distinguished senator from NJ. You positively do NOT need to do anything with the muffler if they are the original or at least the original size mufflers. I have R&R'd mine twice while replacing the broken antenna line, and I have fairly large arms/hands but did not have a problem. OK, maybe a little. But, not as much as the hassle of removing 34 yr. old muffler clamps. It takes about 15-20 minutes, longer to remove the antenna if there is rust involved. It would be easier with the muffler loosened, but if you lay on your back at the right angle, a good extension light, and a long socket extension, it is not a problem. Take a photo with a flash (its dark up there) before you start so that you remember where the relatively few bolts, and the ground strap go while putting it back together after rebuilding it with a new kit. And, remember that you unplug the antenna harness from the inside, behind the driver's side rear speaker carpet, so you have to remove the speaker. Then, after unhooking the connector, you will push the plug out of the passenger compartment, toward the antenna. Do this before you remove the bolts. If you replace the antenna's broken up & down strap (it will save you money and let you salvage an original, well built antenna), have some good lithium or silicone grease ready for repacking the gears that you will see when you easily drill out the rivets to replace them with stainless nuts/bolts. Btw, as an added tip, if you want to significantly quiet down the antenna up/down noise, I encased mine with some "Reflectix" insulation (Home Depot) that I had left over from insulating my floorpan during carpet replacement, and I would guess that it cut the noise in half. I wrapped it only to protect it from the muffler heat, and was surprised how much quieter it was afterward.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 AM
kuntaa
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
You'll probably have to slide the LH muffler out of the way in order to see it. It mounts on the fender skirt. Do you have the assembly instruction manual (AIM)? The AIM shows how the power antenna was installed at the factory. Knowing how it went in is often useful when taking it out.
thanks a bunch

Get notified of new replies

To antenna removal

Quick Reply: antenna removal