C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 12:07 AM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel Problem

I made an embarrassing mistake, and now I need you kind folks to help me figure out what's wrong.

I was out for a drive on the 3rd (yeah, I'm only just now getting around to fixing this) and saw I was low on fuel. I had one more stop to make, which was a short distance from a gas station, so I thought I'd just fill up afterwards. Well, I ran out of gas a block from the station. A kind fella towed me up there so I could fill up, but the car just wouldn't start even with a full tank. It would crank till the battery was dead but didn't want to fire. We eventually got it running after spraying about half a can of starting fluid down the carb, and I was able to get home. Everything seemed to be fine. A few days later, on Wednesday night, I took the car out again and had no issues. Went to get it out again on Friday the 8th and it wouldn't start at all.

I've futzed with the throttle linkage and it doesn't seem like it's getting any fuel.

OKay, so, clogged lines or a bad pump. This should be easy to check.

I disconnected the tank hardline rubber hose where it connects to an inline fuel filter* and had flow. Then, I disconnected the hose from the filter to the pump, and had flow. So that seems to be fine. All that's left is either a bad pump, or a clogged filter in the carb. Unfortunately, I don't have a wrench big enough to pull the hardline from the carb to see if the pump itself is still working.

Am I on the right track here? Any ideas or suggestions? I'd like to get running soon; car show season is about start.

*Ive seen it suggested before to remove this kind of inline filter, as it is unnecessary due to the filter inside the carb inlet. I do plan to remove it.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:59 AM
Mountainoakie
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy the wrench.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 AM
bill69
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to see if the carb has fuel if the accelerator pump squirts fuel into the carb. Do you have spark?
Old 04-21-2016, 11:32 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

"I disconnected the tank hardline rubber hose where it connects to an inline fuel filter and had flow. Then, I disconnected the hose from the filter to the pump, and had flow"

If you have a 1976, based on your profile, that statement doesn't make sense unless someone has modified something. There should not be any fuel filter between the tank and the stock mechanical pump. Unless you are using a pressure gauge observing flow doesn't mean much. Once you have a non interrupted line from tank to pump measure the fuel pressure coming out of the pump. Anything above 5 psi should be enough for a stock engine to run.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

How did you make the determination that it doesn't seem like it's getting fuel? The statement about messing with the throttle linkage doesn't tell us much. Pump and lines are likely the last things I would check. Have you opened the throttle blades to see if you get a pump shot (maybe that's what you meant by messing with the linkage)?
Old 04-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Originally Posted by Mountainoakie
Buy the wrench.
I plan to. Doesn't hurt to ask for technical advice anyway though. :P
Originally Posted by bill69
You should be able to see if the carb has fuel if the accelerator pump squirts fuel into the carb. Do you have spark?
Not seeing any fuel squirt when I run the throttle. Sounds like when you squeeze an empty squirt bottle. Haven't verified spark yet.
Originally Posted by MelWff
"I disconnected the tank hardline rubber hose where it connects to an inline fuel filter and had flow. Then, I disconnected the hose from the filter to the pump, and had flow"

If you have a 1976, based on your profile, that statement doesn't make sense unless someone has modified something. There should not be any fuel filter between the tank and the stock mechanical pump. Unless you are using a pressure gauge observing flow doesn't mean much. Once you have a non interrupted line from tank to pump measure the fuel pressure coming out of the pump. Anything above 5 psi should be enough for a stock engine to run.
PO put a fuel filter in between the inlet hardline on the frame and the pump. I'll see what I can do about checking fuel pressure.
Originally Posted by Brcmpbl
How did you make the determination that it doesn't seem like it's getting fuel? The statement about messing with the throttle linkage doesn't tell us much. Pump and lines are likely the last things I would check. Have you opened the throttle blades to see if you get a pump shot (maybe that's what you meant by messing with the linkage)?
Yes, I opened the throttle blades and ran the linkage. Not seeing any fuel squirt. Sounds like when you squeeze an empty squirt bottle. Not smelling any fuel either.

Last edited by Kris Tunetso; 04-21-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:24 PM
MelWff
Race Director

The only filter you should have between the tank and the pump is the sock inside the tank. No OEM puts a fuel filter on the suction side of a mechanical pump.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Had a similar problem once after replacing entire fuel delivery system. Finally resolved it by using a vacuum pump to draw fuel into the fuel pump. Attached vac pump to line from pump to carb.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

The only filter you should have between the tank and the pump is the sock inside the tank. No OEM puts a fuel filter on the suction side of a mechanical pump.
I'm aware of that. As I said in the OP I intend to remove it while fixing this issue.
Originally Posted by 64roadster
Had a similar problem once after replacing entire fuel delivery system. Finally resolved it by using a vacuum pump to draw fuel into the fuel pump. Attached vac pump to line from pump to carb.
I had not considered trying a vacuum pump. Definitely worth a shot before replacing the pump. Thanks!

Last edited by Kris Tunetso; 04-21-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:42 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Tunetso
I'm aware of that. As I said in the OP I intend to remove it while fixing this issue.

I had not considered trying a vacuum pump. Definitely worth a shot before replacing the pump. Thanks!
Use a flare nut wrench on your filter and a 1" or a little bigger I forget as back up disconnect filter crank engine with line in a container
Old 04-22-2016, 09:06 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

FWIW the only time I ever ran a car completely out of gas, I ended up having to replace the fuel pump.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:53 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Well, that was easier than expected. Cheap too!

I disconnected the hardline from the carb, turned the key and got a good jet of fuel into a catch can, so the pump is fine. I figured since I had the line off I'd go ahead and check the in-carb filter, so I removed the fitting and this odd little plastic part and a spring are inside the fitting, just sitting there. I figured it somehow worked its way out and was jamming something up, preventing fuel flow. Honestly, it looks like a check valve on the end of the filter, and there's really only one way that makes sense for all the parts to go together. So, I put the spring and little plastic thing back in the end of the filter, put everything back together and it fired right up!

After 3 weeks of nice weather and not being able to drive it, I went for a very long victory lap. Just in time too, it would seem: forecast says rain all week now.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:32 AM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I disconnected the hardline from the carb, turned the key and got a good jet of fuel into a catch can, so the pump is fine. I figured since I had the line off I'd go ahead and check the in-carb filter, so I removed the fitting and this odd little plastic part and a spring are inside the fitting, just sitting there. I figured it somehow worked its way out and was jamming something up, preventing fuel flow. Honestly, it looks like a check valve on the end of the filter, and there's really only one way that makes sense for all the parts to go together. So, I put the spring and little plastic thing back in the end of the filter, put everything back together and it fired right up!

After 3 weeks of nice weather and not being able to drive it, I went for a very long victory lap. Just in time too, it would seem: forecast says rain all week now.
Lucky you, glad to hear such a good ending to this story. I had a weird fuel issue. It would do all kinds of odd things. Turned out my bladder collapsed inside and crap was in fuel lines...Would run then not ..then stutter.. Filled up with 6 gallons of fuel...drove me nuts. New fuel system tank pump...100 percent except lines. cleaned blew out and inspected lines and found to be in good shape. Running like a purring kitten now. lotta bucks though.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:46 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

That is the rollover valve. GM probably calls it something else, but it is there to stop fuel running out if you roll the car. A lot of guys who work on these carbs throw them away because they can be problematic, as you have discovered.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:15 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Default Without valve

You can install a filter without the valve. Below is a link to the NAPA part

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FIL3048/FIL3048
Old 04-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Originally Posted by rayluka
Lucky you, glad to hear such a good ending to this story. I had a weird fuel issue. It would do all kinds of odd things. Turned out my bladder collapsed inside and crap was in fuel lines...Would run then not ..then stutter.. Filled up with 6 gallons of fuel...drove me nuts. New fuel system tank pump...100 percent except lines. cleaned blew out and inspected lines and found to be in good shape. Running like a purring kitten now. lotta bucks though.
Wow, tough luck. Im definitely glad that wasnt my issue.
Originally Posted by drwet
That is the rollover valve. GM probably calls it something else, but it is there to stop fuel running out if you roll the car. A lot of guys who work on these carbs throw them away because they can be problematic, as you have discovered.
You can install a filter without the valve. Below is a link to the NAPA part

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FIL3048/FIL3048
Good to know. Thanks guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Problem

Quick Reply: Fuel Problem