C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping orig. distributer with street fire HEI

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 01:53 PM
parker69
7th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default swapping orig. distributer with street fire HEI

I just bought A 1969 L46 convertible and would like to change out points system for HEI. i purchased An MSD street fire PN8362. Here is a little info that may help you help me . my car has the orig. points distributor and external coil. but they have put hooker headers on. currently the wires are under the headers .should i go over the valve covers with wires? and not sure on which plugs to use. Any pointers/pics before I start this would be AWESOME. Thank you, Jerry
Old 04-24-2016, 08:08 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

You are not going to gain any performance by changing. As a matter of fact, the point type system is less likely to fail than the HEI, both electronically and mechanically-especially the tach drive gears. Remove and inspect/rebuild the original distributor, it is good for 6000 RPM.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:04 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

All the msd streetfires are made in china and the ignition modules are troublesome in many cases. I agree, keep your stock distributor and have it rebuilt/recurved and retain the stock look a 69 should have. If you insist on an electronic unit have a conversion kit installed.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:22 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Same power but now no tach!

Your original distributor used a mechanical tach drive.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:17 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by parker69
I just bought A 1969 L46 convertible and would like to change out points system for HEI. i purchased An MSD street fire PN8362. Here is a little info that may help you help me . my car has the orig. points distributor and external coil. but they have put hooker headers on. currently the wires are under the headers .should i go over the valve covers with wires? and not sure on which plugs to use. Any pointers/pics before I start this would be AWESOME. Thank you, Jerry
Nobody is really answering your question, lol. Just stay with the specified plugs for your motor. And I had my wires routed under the headers, the only problem was 2 burned boots because of proximity to the headers at the flange, which is impossible to avoid no matter how the wires are routed. Got new wires, routed over the valve covers because its tons easier, and heat sleeving to protect the boots.
BTW, HEI is way better than points. No maintenance, no adjustments, not limited by RPM. Peterbuilt is right about warning you that you will lose the use of tach in your car, you'll have to switch to an electronic tach.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:40 AM
parker69
7th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you all for your advice. I decided to stick with original set up after replacing all related parts what a difference in performance.

Get notified of new replies

To swapping orig. distributer with street fire HEI

Quick Reply: swapping orig. distributer with street fire HEI