C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery light

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:28 AM
tman1029
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery light

I have 1981 vette The battery light stays on after starting. I have replaced the alternator, checked the wiring in the console and have put an a meter and show that the battery is not charging. the alt meter on the dash shows about 10amps the meter on the battery show about a 2.5 to 3. is the problem the ground wire? also the back lights stay on after starting. anyone have ideas as to what the problem might be?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:22 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

I think the dash gage displays volts, not amps. If the battery is reading 3 volts, that's utterly discharged. If its 3 amps, its just a block of lead. Start with checking all the grounds you can find, starting with the battery cable to frame, frame to engine, etc.

The back lights staying on is an indication that a circuit has found an alternate ground and is using the rear lights as its ground path.

Last edited by SH-60B; 04-25-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:52 AM
tman1029
5th Gear

ok I will check those ground wires I thought that is what it might be but wasnt sure. Thank you for your response.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:07 PM
tman1029
5th Gear

Originally Posted by tman1029
ok I will check those ground wires I thought that is what it might be but wasnt sure. Thank you for your response.
Is there a way to check the ground wires? I know one ground wire runs from the battery to the frame and another runs down inside the frame I think this one goes to the alternator. Am I correct? Is there a way to check this one?
Old 10-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Joe Chavez
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tman1029
I have 1981 vette The battery light stays on after starting. I have replaced the alternator, checked the wiring in the console and have put an a meter and show that the battery is not charging. the alt meter on the dash shows about 10amps the meter on the battery show about a 2.5 to 3. is the problem the ground wire? also the back lights stay on after starting. anyone have ideas as to what the problem might be?
You may want to check the harmonic balancer and make sure it is still rotating in time with the crank shaft. Sometimes the rubber friction coupling connecting the inner/outer parts of the pulley can shear. This will stop the belts from always turning and the alternator from rotating and creating a charge. Worth a look.... Likely not the problem as it will create a loud squeaking noise usually if this is the problem.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:04 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Chavez
You may want to check the harmonic balancer and make sure it is still rotating in time with the crank shaft. Sometimes the rubber friction coupling connecting the inner/outer parts of the pulley can shear. This will stop the belts from always turning and the alternator from rotating and creating a charge. Worth a look.... Likely not the problem as it will create a loud squeaking noise usually if this is the problem.
This is BS, the pulleys are attached to the hub not the balancer ring. The balancer can go bad but the belt pulleys still rotate just fine.

5 month old thread anyway!
Old 10-22-2016, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
This is BS, the pulleys are attached to the hub not the balancer ring. The balancer can go bad but the belt pulleys still rotate just fine.

5 month old thread anyway!

Sometimes I just need a good laugh.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Battery light

Quick Reply: Battery light