C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission issues - Need reassurance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,256 Likes on 3,903 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Have you taken anywhere else and asked them to check the linkages and shift cables? Seems some advice from an actual transmission repair place would be worth it. Like Kidvette said everything is working as it should, its just setup to shift at the wrong rpm. I can't see you spending all this money without having it checked by a transmission mechanic.

Most places ive dealt with will give an estimate for free. Don't tell them you think its bad. Tell them a new engine was installed and you just need it adjusted, that it just shifts to high. Less info can be better. If they give you the run around drop your knowledge on them and take your car to the next tranny shop.
Try it please. Its cheaper than a $750 rebuild by Bubba the the tire repair man. The $800 would probably last longer, it might have a high rpm stall converter or something, but that can be switched

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-02-2016 at 07:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kim Moulton Miller (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 PM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

If you rebuild your existing tranny, it will bolt right back in and it will have a guarantee. If you buy a tranny from something else, you may be in for some modifications or headaches, and probably no warranty. I would be very careful dumping much money for labor in fixing (but not rebuilding) your old tranny with so many unanswered questions. No one here has answered my original question which was, how long does anyone expect a 38 year old neglected tranny with 140,000 miles to last? I'd say you did alright with it if it had regular service, which it has not.
The real problem is you cannot do the labor yourself and save some money. Labor will be a good portion of the cost. I've seen people go through 3 transmissions from the junkyard to save money only to pay the mechanic $500 each time to remove and replace each one until they got a good used one to work. Ouch!

Last edited by lurch59; 05-02-2016 at 08:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Have you taken anywhere else and asked them to check the linkages and shift cables? Seems some advice from an actual transmission repair place would be worth it. Like Kidvette said everything is working as it should, its just setup to shift at the wrong rpm. I can't see you spending all this money without having it checked by a transmission mechanic.

Most places ive dealt with will give an estimate for free. Don't tell them you think its bad. Tell them a new engine was installed and you just need it adjusted, that it just shifts to high. Less info can be better. If they give you the run around drop your knowledge on them and take your car to the next tranny shop.
Try it please. Its cheaper than a $750 rebuild by Bubba the the tire repair man. The $800 would probably last longer, it might have a high rpm stall converter or something, but that can be switched
Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 AM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you guys tell me why I shouldn't buy the newly rebuilt, still in plastic, 350 tranny that was built to go in a '69 Chevelle (800hp)? The torque is new. He will guarantee it one year. Install is guaranteed for one year. I just scraped up the money and ready to roll. I miss my car.

Last edited by Kim Moulton Miller; 05-03-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

I haven't taken it to a bona fide trans shop. The trans is out now so it's not drivable. (Took the trans out expecting to install the used one from the RV, but that fell through.) My son-in-law said he trouble shot many things to see if it was anything but the trans, and couldn't see a problem elsewhere.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Knowing that and With the warranty I would buy the new $800 one. If its setup for street driving I don't see why it won't work for you. Drag strip trannys use stall converters for hole shots which you do not need. Since its the beginning of spring you can easily put a couple thousand miles on it if you drive it every weekend so if it has any problems you should catch it during the warranty

Just have the cooling lines flushed first, cant hurt

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-03-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Kim Moulton Miller (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:12 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Kim Moulton Miller
I also have access to a new transmission or newly rebuilt transmission still wrapped in plastic that is a 350 with a shift kit that was built to go in a 69 Chevelle 800 horsepower. He wants $800 for it.
Is the shift kit mild or hard.

It's one thing to have a little chip from 1/2 it's another to kick you sideways on that 1/2. You may get tired of the stiff shifting.

What stall converter does it come with? Normal or something like 4 grand.

Just want to make sure you would be getting street transmissions and not a 1/4 mile one.

If it just a build up streets trans to handle the power and some one handles the warranty including removal and installation if something goes wrong do it.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:05 PM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by Kim Moulton Miller
Can you guys tell me why I shouldn't buy the newly rebuilt, still in plastic, 350 tranny that was built to go in a '69 Chevelle (800hp)? The torque is new. He will guarantee it one year. Install is guaranteed for one year. I just scraped up the money and ready to roll. I miss my car.
That's a good guarantee, if something wasn't done right you'd likely find out within a year. You might ask for a longer written guarantee, why not negotiate. He knows it will be lightly used and not behind a 1/4 mile race car engine.

Compare your old trans to the new one and make sure they are close enough not to cause additional expenses buying brakcets etc for the swap. As others have stated, what is the stall speed for the converter in your application? Stall speeds vary with engine torque. You might want to take a ride in a car with a shift kit in the auto trans. My wife doesn't like the hard shifting and you might not either!

Last edited by lurch59; 05-03-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 05-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

Thank you SO much for having me ask these questions, because it is hard shift kit and my friend said I definitely would get tired of that for recreational cruising. SO! Cook's Transmission in Spartanburg, SC, will be receiving my tranny this week and will either rebuild it or sell me an identical one already rebuilt for $700. This includes fluid, etc. The install is happening at my friend's shop who will warranty the install. The tranny will have a warranty from Cook's for 3 years/36,000 miles. This is my best shot for my budget and to get it back in my hot hands. I'm READY for her!!!!! (She has to be a her with all those curves, you know.) I hope you all agree with this route. It's been a whirlwind.

http://cookstransmissionrepair.com/

Thank you ALLLLL for your help!! My next project is the A/C and then a paint job and then the interior.

Kimmmm

Originally Posted by ddawson
Is the shift kit mild or hard.

It's one thing to have a little chip from 1/2 it's another to kick you sideways on that 1/2. You may get tired of the stiff shifting.

What stall converter does it come with? Normal or something like 4 grand.

Just want to make sure you would be getting street transmissions and not a 1/4 mile one.

If it just a build up streets trans to handle the power and some one handles the warranty including removal and installation if something goes wrong do it.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Cool. Hope it works out there is a whole driving season ahead of us. A lot of knowledge here. And we need pics... (of the car too lol)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Smart move.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

Originally Posted by jim-81
Cool. Hope it works out there is a whole driving season ahead of us. A lot of knowledge here. And we need pics... (of the car too lol)
Thanks! I will put a pic from this morning, but compared to the car babes I see trending, well, ummm....I'm pretty plain!!! I'm just a simple Mom to 3 adults and Nana to 4 grandbabies.
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2016, 12:07 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Wise choice. I've got two adult boys but no grand kids.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:13 PM
lurch59
Pro

Good choice, I was just afraid you'd throw good money after bad with a transmission that old. Who wants to pay labor twice to R&R the transmission!
Kim Moulton Miller (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Congrats on the transmission!!! On to the next job!!!
Kim Moulton Miller (05-05-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Time for an update. Hows your transmission working out?
Old 05-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

Time for an update. Hows your transmission working out?
Well....I just got back from Florida because my Dad is sick, but the vette is still at the shop - transmission in. Was told the engine skips when idling, but goes away when driving. They are checking it out to see if it's a bad spark plug or loose wire. UGH! Also, the oil gauge doesn't work so troubleshooting that now. (I posted a new thread and got some advice that I forwarded to the shop.) I hope to get the car back Thursday morning and see. Still waiting to hear from NAPA about replacing the A/C system. Trying to say it was only a 2-year warranty when I was told it was a lifetime. Manager working on it. I posted a thread about it, too, to buy one if they warranty doesn't work. Wish I had better news, but it's still up in the air it seems.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission issues - Need reassurance.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:40 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by MelWff
If you had this problem immediately after the rebuild why didnt you go back to the shop that did the rebuild?
The original shop removed and rebuilt and reinstalled the engine?
havent read the whole thread but

The mechanic who did the engine rebuild and install races older corvettes in the dragway (1/4 mile)
Perhaps mr race car driver was test driving your new motor they just dont "go out" I mean can but not usually. Sounds fishy

Sometimes when screwing something up they may "make good" but find anotehr repair. You really have to be firm with them or they will walk all over you. Sad but thats the truth

Last edited by cv67; 05-24-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

OK...so car not skipping, but the rpms seem really high. At 63 mph the rpms are around 3100-3200. My friend who just installed the rebuilt trans is still concerned the rearend got switched out. Thinks it is geared way too low. I drove the vette to Florida twice and I don't remember it running that high. There's no Overdrive, but still. Am I just imagining a high rpm? Does this seem right?
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
havent read the whole thread but

Perhaps mr race car driver was test driving your new motor they just dont "go out" I mean can but not usually. Sounds fishy

Sometimes when screwing something up they may "make good" but find anotehr repair. You really have to be firm with them or they will walk all over you. Sad but thats the truth
Yes...the same place removed, rebuilt, and installed engine. Took it back as soon as it was clear something was wrong...ended up being the transmission...just had it rebuilt by another shop in Spartanburg with 3 year/36k mile warranty. Now just concerned rpm's too high. IDK. I get the car back tmrw or Thursday.

Quick Reply: Transmission issues - Need reassurance.