C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine and now my WOT change is much higher

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:16 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You don't really "play" with the "adjustment". There is no adjustment, other than to remove the governor and change out springs and weights...and that's not just a simple task, as you need to cut off the ends of the pins holding the weights in place and replace them with something when you rebuild the governor (each time you do it....complete trial-and-error, unless you have pro equipment).

If your problem has anything to do with the governor, it is that the valve in the governor shaft is stuck, or the little filter screen in the governor pressure line is plugged/blocked. If either of those things happen, the governor may not shift at all--which is NOT what you are describing.

I still have trouble believing that your engine is actually turning 7000 rpm.
From your experience - is working on the TH350 governor possible with the trans in the car? A C3 that is.

Last edited by BKbroiler; 05-01-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:33 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You might be able to get it out. BUT, I know that your transmission is NOT seeing 7000 rpm from the engine. That 350 trans is not designed to handle 7K rpm and might just blow apart if it ever saw that much rotational speed. So, the governor (which is driven off the output shaft speed) is not getting to that rpm and likely is not involved with your problems.

If your engine really is turning 7K, then the clutches in the tranny are likely slipping....and may be 'toast' by now.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:16 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You might be able to get it out. BUT, I know that your transmission is NOT seeing 7000 rpm from the engine. That 350 trans is not designed to handle 7K rpm and might just blow apart if it ever saw that much rotational speed. So, the governor (which is driven off the output shaft speed) is not getting to that rpm and likely is not involved with your problems.

If your engine really is turning 7K, then the clutches in the tranny are likely slipping....and may be 'toast' by now.
That was the OP who talked about 7,000 rpm. I just got sidetracked on the governor question.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:54 PM
longtimedead
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,I took the car out today and did about 100 miles and played around with wot and when it changed gear and found that whenever i was in first or second with wot if i backed of the throttle very slightly it would change up a gear so i ended up doing this everytime i got to 6k otherwise it would carry on until it got to 7k before changing up ,it changed smoothly and quickly at this rpm just like it should and at any other throttle opening the auto box changed as and when it should so was wondering if backing of the throttle had any effect on the vacuum to the auto box and for some reason at wot would make it change later ,could a vacuum leak be my problem ?
The oil and filter in the auto box was changed about 20k and 4 years ago and is still clear and clean and smells as it should ,do you think changing the oil and filter would help or worth while ?
Old 05-03-2016, 01:00 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I would verify the RPMS are really at 7k... I'd slap an aftermarket tach on the column just for testing purposes. If it is actually shifting that high, you will have to pull the governor and play with weights/springs to get it to shift where you want. Odds are, on a mild 383, you'll want it to shift at 5800-6000 max.

I've never done the governor swapping in a T350 in a C3, I have done it on my T400 in my 71', the governor will come out, but its very tight...It actually touches the tunnel as you are working the governor out. I did not cut or clearance anything. You can get the B&M governor kit to use for adjusting shifts. Make one change at a time, its a very lengthy process. I know I removed my governor no less then 20 times trying to dial in my shift points. Major pain in the ***, but once its done, its done.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:22 PM
longtimedead
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Problem solved

Thought i'd come back to the people who helped me with this and say i have fixed the problem .It ended up a number of things ,first off i thought i had a 4.11 axle but when i jacked up the car i found it to be just 3.08 by doing the wheel to axle turns test ,I replaced the tach filter and it did help steady the filter but didnt reduce the high rpm at wot ,i then noticed that the fuel regulator somehow had been set to just 1 psi when the engine was replaced so once i changed it to 5.5 i had no problem with the lack of power when the box changed up but it was still showing 7k,i recalled that when i bought the car it had a new circuit board for the rev counter and i saw on wilcox's site that they need zeroing so i took the dash out and found all the bolts that hold the circuit board to the rev counter were loose and the needle was a mile out so i reset it and tightened it all down,I now have a rev counter that changes at wot between 4500 and 5200 and is as smooth as silk and at 60 mph it shows 2400 rpm ,i checked this against a rpm/axle ratio calculator that said it should show 2375 so thats very close .I'm one very happy corvette owner and thanks for everyones ideas and help
Old 05-23-2016, 10:21 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by longtimedead
Thought i'd come back to the people who helped me with this and say i have fixed the problem .It ended up a number of things ,first off i thought i had a 4.11 axle but when i jacked up the car i found it to be just 3.08 by doing the wheel to axle turns test ,I replaced the tach filter and it did help steady the filter but didnt reduce the high rpm at wot ,i then noticed that the fuel regulator somehow had been set to just 1 psi when the engine was replaced so once i changed it to 5.5 i had no problem with the lack of power when the box changed up but it was still showing 7k,i recalled that when i bought the car it had a new circuit board for the rev counter and i saw on wilcox's site that they need zeroing so i took the dash out and found all the bolts that hold the circuit board to the rev counter were loose and the needle was a mile out so i reset it and tightened it all down,I now have a rev counter that changes at wot between 4500 and 5200 and is as smooth as silk and at 60 mph it shows 2400 rpm ,i checked this against a rpm/axle ratio calculator that said it should show 2375 so thats very close .I'm one very happy corvette owner and thanks for everyones ideas and help
I new the new engine wasn't winding out that high. Now then get her to the strip and get her tuned...

Quick Reply: New engine and now my WOT change is much higher