C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on intake gasket-exhaust restrictors

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 AM
HunterPayne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help on intake gasket-exhaust restrictors

71 corvette-350 base motor-4-speed-stock. Cast iron intake, Quadrajet, and choke coil spring.

I have been having some issues with fuel-intake-carb set up. Last fall I was having a very difficult time restarting the car after it had been running a period of time. I thought it was because I left the heat passages open in the intake and the fuel was boiling. I replaced the intake gasket set and blocked off the exhaust passages. At the same time, I tested the fuel pump while cranking and got no fuel out the line. Bad fuel pump! I replaced the fuel pump.

Now I have a new fuel pump and intake gaskets that includes the exhaust restrictors. Now my choke coil will not activate the choke on the carb.

I have a new intake gasket set - Felpro MS903142 with small openings in the exhaust restrictors.

I believe that my problems were originally from a bad fuel pump even though it would still run.

Question: Should I leave the exhaust crossovers completely open or use the partial restrictors in the felpro set. I live in VA and do need a choke for cold weather, so completely blocking the crossover passages did not work.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Had you considered an electric choke conversion? There are a wide variety of them available for a Quadrajet that could work like this one.

Chevrolet Carburetor Electric Choke Conversion Rochester Quadrajet
This unit is for 1967 327, 350 Stock Chevrolet. 1968-69 327, 350, 396, 427 Stock Chevrolet. 1970 350, 396, 400, 454 Stock Chevrolet with stock carburetors and manifolds.

This kit contains an electric choke element, a sensor, bracket, wires, screws, washers and instructions. Everything you need to convert a stock Chevy with a Quadrajet from a divorced choke to electric.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Ca...-/231487382393

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi HP,
The divorced style choke is very simple.
Do you have the right coil? They move in 2 different directions depending on the applications.
Is the coil cover the correct one…. not limiting the coil's full movement?
Is the coil link the right one and installed correctly with the proper clip?
Is the coil linkage free to move through it's full range of motion?
Does the choke 'set' easily when the accelerator is depressed?
?
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-28-2016, 09:47 AM
HunterPayne
Advanced

Alan,
I am sure that I have the right coil and it works correctly. Prior to me changing the intake gasket with full restrictors, it worked perfectly! I think installing the restrictors, does not allow the intake to get hot enough to engage the coil spring. I am confused on if I should leave the exhaust passage completely open or use the restrictors with a small hole provided with the gasket set.
HP
Old 04-28-2016, 09:51 AM
HunterPayne
Advanced

Name:  IMG_1666.JPG
Views: 2230
Size:  448.1 KB
Old 04-28-2016, 10:43 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

use the restrictors that Felpro provided
Old 04-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi HP,
I'm not much of a mechanic!!!
I was focusing on the choke…. is the return line on the fuel pump hooked up and operating?
Wasn't the 'hot start' issue part of it's purpose?
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-28-2016, 12:40 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

The coil reacts by heat. With the smaller hole it should take longer for the coil to unwind.

On my 69 I also had a heat passage that feed the front of the Qjet. Not sure if yours does but plugging that passage with plugs helped a lot.

He is a picture with the plugs.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:46 PM
HunterPayne
Advanced

last year I had a terrible time with a hard start after shutting it down. I originally thought it was because of excess heat from the exhaust passage, but found out I had a bad fuel pump and was only getting intermittent fuel pressure.
I do not have the heat passage shown from ddawson.

I am just trying to figure out if I should just leave the restrictors out because my car still has the exhaust valve below the manifold on the passenger side. I would still need flow through the intake until this valve opens.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

If you use the provided restrictors the choke will take longer to release as the heat flow from the exhaust will be less. You can bend or lengthen the choke rod to release sooner and compensate for this or leave the restrictors out. Your choice but since you found your problem and you didn't have restrictors to begin with, I would leave them out and go with the stock setup.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:11 PM
HunterPayne
Advanced

Thank you. I really only want to do this one more time.

Get notified of new replies

To Help on intake gasket-exhaust restrictors

Quick Reply: Help on intake gasket-exhaust restrictors