C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas fumes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:24 AM
zanimul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas fumes

Hi All,

I'm getting a heavy amount of gas fume in the garage where my '80 L-82 is parked. I'm a bit concerned over the potential possibility of a fire since the garage is part of the house. I have not dug into this issue, yet, but I'm suspecting the EVAP Canister. Reason, all the hoses are still original, with the exception of the heater and radiator hoses.

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:28 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

It could be the evap system as well as anything else in the system. Start at the tank looking for leaks in the tank itself as well as the rubber lines from the tank to the frame lines. Next follow the lines forward to the fuel pump and check the pump itself. Then follow the line out of the pump to the carburetor looking for signs of a leak. The charcoal filter in the evap canister could be soaked and need replacing.
The following users liked this post:
zanimul (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 AM
zanimul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should add that I see no fluids or evidence of leaks on the floor.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:23 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I have the same issue with the 73 I just purchased. I'm going through and replacing all the fuel and evap rubber lines. They are all original so I'm starting there. I was looking through the General Maintenance Section in the Service Manual last night and it recommends to change out the filter in the evap canister every 24,000 miles. I doubt mine has been changed in years, if ever. Napa Auto Parts stocks them and I'll be replacing that this weekend. My gas cap is original as well and I could detect fumes coming from there when I flipped open the cover so I'm ordering a new one. Invest in a service manual and the assembly instruction manuals. They will show you how to properly hook up all the lines and are full of great information. I found the service manual online at Helm and the AIM is available from Corvette Central or Wilcox who both have sponsored adds on the forum. Have Fun.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:18 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

As you know, the evap cannnister is on the left front side, just behind the front tire. Stick your nose down near the side vent, you may detect a strong odor in that area. Is so, the charcoal is saturated and needs replacing. I replaced the charcoal and filter in mine last summer. Very easy and solved any fuel odor that I had.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:28 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

You checked the weep hole on the fuel pump?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had the same issue, I thought I had a line from fuel pump to carb leaking. I replaced it this winter and seemed ok. When it got warmer I started to get a smell again. About a week ago the 79 died and would not idle. Turned out the Qjet needed rebuilt, still had a rich smell added a electric choke now that odor is gone.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

No leaks and a strong vapor sounds like the evap canister.

I rebuilt mine a couple of weeks ago. 2 hours and $16 worth of charcoal from PetSmart.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 PM
gsimon767
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zanimul
Hi All,

I'm getting a heavy amount of gas fume in the garage where my '80 L-82 is parked. I'm a bit concerned over the potential possibility of a fire since the garage is part of the house. I have not dug into this issue, yet, but I'm suspecting the EVAP Canister. Reason, all the hoses are still original, with the exception of the heater and radiator hoses.

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.
There are two sealed plugs under the base of a Quadrajet carb that are known to leak raw fuel. If you can't find an obvious source of the leak it could be the carb, assuming you have a Quadrajet. You may have to remove the carb to see if the base is wet or raw fuel is in the manifold. Usually you would have some starting or running issues depending on the severity of the leak. If that is the problem a carb rebuild is needed.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:35 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Do you have 10% ethanol in your fuel? Google it, made more than a few redo the fuel lines even aftermarket stuff.

edit: if I buy normal fuel line I make sure it says J30R9 on it.

Last edited by BOOT77; 05-03-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:47 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gsimon767
There are two sealed plugs under the base of a Quadrajet carb that are known to leak raw fuel. If you can't find an obvious source of the leak it could be the carb, assuming you have a Quadrajet. You may have to remove the carb to see if the base is wet or raw fuel is in the manifold. Usually you would have some starting or running issues depending on the severity of the leak. If that is the problem a carb rebuild is needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas fumes

Quick Reply: Gas fumes