C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seals for power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 04:02 AM
Wibäck
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seals for power steering pump

Hi guys!

I bought a new power steering pump and it came with two bags of seals. One bag contained seals with two different thicknesses to seal the pump to the reservoir and I should use the ones that gives the best fit. That's fine!

The second bag contained two o-rings, which I'm not really sure what they're for. The big one seems to be a replacement to the one pointed out by the arrow in the picture, but what is the small one for?

Thanks
Fredrik
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2016, 06:03 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Any penetration thru the reservoir to hold the pump to the engine bracket has to be sealed. One of those o-rings seals the hole the mounting stud goes into
Old 04-29-2016, 06:06 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Just looked, I think they both seal mounting studs
Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 AM
Wibäck
Advanced

Originally Posted by SH-60B
Any penetration thru the reservoir to hold the pump to the engine bracket has to be sealed. One of those o-rings seals the hole the mounting stud goes into
The mounting bracket studs are sealed with the o-rings from the first bag I mentioned (see new pic). They come in two thicknesses depending on what you need.

These other two seals must be for something else. Perhaps they are just spares and I don't need them, but I don't want to find out that I needed them after putting it all back on the car.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2016, 01:41 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

not being a smart ***, but did you read the instructions? I can't read the whole thing in the picture but it seems to indicate where the large one goes, and the small one is for the modern hose end (no flare) if you use that style.

interesting it seems to have come disassembled, every pump I've purchased was completely assembled, did you just get a raw universal pump with no reservoir? that would likely be why it has extra seals depending on the application...
Old 04-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Wibäck
Advanced

Originally Posted by gungatim
not being a smart ***, but did you read the instructions? I can't read the whole thing in the picture but it seems to indicate where the large one goes, and the small one is for the modern hose end (no flare) if you use that style.

interesting it seems to have come disassembled, every pump I've purchased was completely assembled, did you just get a raw universal pump with no reservoir? that would likely be why it has extra seals depending on the application...
No offense taken. You need to check the obvious things too. I attach all of the instructions that the pump came with and as you can see there is no clear instruction for the two o-rings except that the bigger one might be a spare for the one already fitted to the pressure fitting.

I bought the pump separate and I'm reusing the old reservoir, which just needed a little touch-up with paint.

// Fredrik
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Seals for power steering pump

Quick Reply: Seals for power steering pump