C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 Maiden Voyage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1977 Maiden Voyage!!!

Took my 77 out for the first time registered on the road. Drove around town for about an hour. Temp never got past 180. Oil pressure perfect. Brakes work great, car needs an alignment but it handles like its on rails. I anticipated some problems and I already have some.
One of the only things I didn't replace on my car was the radiator and guess what... it leaks. Its a minor leak but it leaks along the bottom. Its more of a seep. Also... when I turn my headlights on my headlight warning buzzer goes on and stays on until I turn my headlights off. This is whether the car is running or not. I also hear a very slight intermittent pop coming from the passenger side pipe. Its not a backfire. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Very very minor.
Besides that... I drove the car around for an hour and it ran and drove great. The 4spd is a lot of fun and the new suspension and steering really feels fantastic. The Hooker headers and side pipes sound really nice. Not too loud and really deep. They sound great when you get on it!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:16 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Congrats! Always a good feeling being able to drive it after a lot of work.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Drewvious
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about two weeks behind you on my 79, ready to get her back on the road. Congrats on being able to get behind the wheel! I'm anxious to do the same.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:40 PM
Oldriceguy
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats on getting it ready to roll. I just replaced the radiator on my '77. It was seeping along the bottom also. Figured I might as well replace it blew fore it blew while out on the road.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:38 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Good for you! Next step is a nice long cruise when you discover nothing wrong
Old 04-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
Took my 77 out for the first time registered on the road. Drove around town for about an hour. Temp never got past 180. Oil pressure perfect. Brakes work great, car needs an alignment but it handles like its on rails. I anticipated some problems and I already have some.
One of the only things I didn't replace on my car was the radiator and guess what... it leaks. Its a minor leak but it leaks along the bottom. Its more of a seep. Also... when I turn my headlights on my headlight warning buzzer goes on and stays on until I turn my headlights off. This is whether the car is running or not. I also hear a very slight intermittent pop coming from the passenger side pipe. Its not a backfire. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Very very minor.
Besides that... I drove the car around for an hour and it ran and drove great. The 4spd is a lot of fun and the new suspension and steering really feels fantastic. The Hooker headers and side pipes sound really nice. Not too loud and really deep. They sound great when you get on it!
This thread is USELESS without PICS
Old 04-29-2016, 07:53 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
This thread is USELESS without PICS

I mean, video is nice, but pics are a minimum!
Old 05-03-2016, 01:51 PM
jgcable
Racer

Originally Posted by oldgto

I mean, video is nice, but pics are a minimum!
Here is a pic of the car with my new plates on it. This was taken on its maiden voyage at a parking lot in town while my buddy ran into the smoke shop to get himself a cigar.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:21 PM
79 C3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks good. I can't wait until mine is back on the road after 28 years of flat tires in garage. I just put the body back on and starting on full suspension upgrade.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:30 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Sharp-looking car with only minor problems!

(I'm on my 5th maiden voyage )
Old 05-04-2016, 11:25 PM
ShipmanPhotos
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of the car with my new plates on it. This was taken on its maiden voyage at a parking lot in town while my buddy ran into the smoke shop to get himself a cigar.

Nice ride!
Old 05-05-2016, 12:02 AM
Oldriceguy
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 05-05-2016, 06:06 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

BEAUTIFUL color!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:34 PM
Tbone4432
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default curiou

What inserts are you running?
Old 05-06-2016, 02:35 PM
jgcable
Racer

Originally Posted by Tbone4432
What inserts are you running?
The Hooker Glasspacks. Hooker Super Competition Sidetube Slip-in Mufflers 21021HKR

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 Maiden Voyage!!!

Quick Reply: 1977 Maiden Voyage!!!