C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 04:41 PM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Evans has its pros and many cons while some love it just because the average car person will do just fine with far Cheaper 50/50 premix that many top names like DeWitt recommend ...
I erge people not to take one or two opinions on Evans but rather do an unbiased net Researching of it
Um, we don't have the average car person on this forum. We hope our cars will never go to the crusher, and Evans is far cheaper because you buy it once and never again. No more flushing, rinsing and refilling. Also no more rust which has caused me to replace more heater cores than I care to remember. DeWitt may recommend xyz antifreeze but that does not mean Evans is not better. I've got 4 gallons of Amsoil antifreeze if you would like to buy it, however.

Last edited by lurch59; 05-02-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-02-2016, 07:38 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by lurch59
Um, we don't have the average car person on this forum. We hope our cars will never go to the crusher, and Evans is far cheaper because you buy it once and never again. No more flushing, rinsing and refilling. Also no more rust which has caused me to replace more heater cores than I care to remember. DeWitt may recommend xyz antifreeze but that does not mean Evans is not better. I've got 4 gallons of Amsoil antifreeze if you would like to buy it, however.
The average "car" person doesn't want their car to go to the forum.

Had you not neglected your system your heater cores would not have rusted.

we did this before it's pointless, I respect you love evans and think it's the end all to be all please respect that I do not,

You know that I do not dig all the huge cons that go with running Evans and rather than waste time typing why I do not run it people who are curious like I was until I researched it can go look at lot of information on it and see if it is for them.

No, I will pass on your antifreeze I live in florida and do not need it.

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-02-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:40 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Well I guess you can no longer make fun of all the DeWitts supporters. They seem to be the minority these days.

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 05-02-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
Should I go 2 core or 3 core
Well....like I posted....I put a 2 core in a 76' and it cools very well....make sure you flush out the block....put a new pump on...new stat....and fill with distilled water. Should work great. save a few $$$.
It is a very efficient design with bit wide passages......it will cool your engine.

Jebby
Old 05-02-2016, 07:46 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Well I guess you can no longer make fun of all the DeWitts supporters. They seem to be the minority these days.

I hope nothing I ever said seemed like "making fun people who like Dewitts" if it did I apologize, it wasn't my intention, after all I own one of your radiators and know it will do great.

It's just how things go Champion is everywhere and builders on a budget are having great luck with them.

No one has asked me the big question yet...
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 PM
lurch59
Pro

The average "car" person doesn't want their car to go to the forum.

Had you not neglected your system your heater cores would not have rusted.

we did this before it's pointless, I respect you love evans and think it's the end all to be all please respect that I do not,

You know that I do not dig all the huge cons that go with running Evans and rather than waste time typing why I do not run it people who are curious like I was until I researched it can go look at lot of information on it and see if it is for them.

No, I will pass on your antifreeze I live in florida and do not need it.
If you properly maintain your system, you will still have rust, corrosion and solder breakdown with traditional antifreeze, it will just proceed more slowly. This is why coolant/antifreeze formulations contain rust inhibitors, not rust eliminators.

I don't remember having conversations with you, but it's not about you anyway. I'm just offering a different opinion for the other forum readers. I also have extensively researched the subject and have the chemistry background to understand the issues. I have used Evans for years in multiple vehicles without the "huge cons" you elude to.

You may not need antifreeze in Florida, but you could use some coolant with excellent rust inhibitors which you do need. This I have for sale, and will give you a good deal. After all, you will need a continuous supply as you drain, flush and refill your system, to "properly maintain" it. Coolant/water mixtures also raise the boiling point of your system, not nearly as much as Evans coolant of course. I have this for sale because I will never use it. I have my lifetime supply of coolant in my cars already.

Last edited by lurch59; 05-02-2016 at 09:44 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

I hope nothing I ever said
not at all.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:44 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by lurch59
If you properly maintain your system, you will still have rust, corrosion and solder breakdown with traditional antifreeze, it will just proceed more slowly. This is why they are called rust inhibitors, not rust eliminators.

I don't remember having conversations with you, but it's not about you anyway. I'm just offering a different opinion for the other forum readers. I also have extensively researched the subject and have the chemistry background to understand the issues. I have used Evans for years in multiple vehicles without the "huge cons" you elude to.

You may not need antifreeze in Florida, buy you could use some coolant with excellent rust inhibitors which you do need. This I have for sale, and will give you a good deal. After all, you will need a continuous supply as you drain, flush and refill your system, to properly "maintain" it. Coolant raises the boiling point of your system, not nearly as much as Evans coolant of course. I have this for sale because I will never use it. I have my lifetime supply of coolant in my cars already.
I agree that's why I first said do not take my word or your word for it I suggested people go out study it and decide for themselves if the extra costs and work involved with running evans is right for them...

And do not worry I use additives.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:50 PM
lurch59
Pro

I agree that's why I first said do not take my word or your word for it I suggested people go out study it and decide for themselves if the extra costs and work involved with running evans is right for them...

And do not worry I use additives.

That's good advice. Have a good one....
Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Tom, I think on the high dollar high horsepower Vettes it really pays to have a premium cooling system. That includes a high volume water pump, a high end electric fan system, a kick *** Dewitt radiator, silicone hoses, etc...... I get that. If I had a 400HP+ big block high dollar Vette I would only consider high end parts for it.
For a 1977 L48 250hp (approx.) street car that is fairly ratty... but all mine.... I weighed out every purchase. I could have easily spent 5 times as much for everything for my car and I would have ended up with the same thing. A fairly ratty low horsepower Vette. I set a budget and I stuck to it. I paid $7K for the car. It had a new 4spd tranny and the motor was freshened up. It ran great. Body was a little ratty. I would say its a 10 footer. Interior needed work but the car was very solid and very original. I set a budget of $5K to get it on the road and be safe. I upgraded all the suspension front and rear, all the steering, all the braking systems and I installed Hooker side headers and side pipes and dressed up the engine compartment. I went through $4K and I left $1K for things that would have gone wrong once I got it on the road. 1st thing that popped up was the radiator. Its one of the only original parts I didn't replace. I figure there will be some more gremlins. This is the first time this car has been on the road registered, insured and driving in 6 years and 4 owners. They all had good intentions but nobody ever took care of everything. Since you are an active and very respected sponsor I felt the need to let you know. John G
Old 05-03-2016, 11:31 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I think Tom gets all that. I wonder if there are more of us these days that are building budget Corvettes than there were in the past.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:20 PM
jgcable
Racer

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
I think Tom gets all that. I wonder if there are more of us these days that are building budget Corvettes than there were in the past.
The 74-82 Vette is the only affordable Corvette left that can be easily modified by the typical shade tree mechanic so I would say yes to the above.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
I have been into the these plastic fantastic's well over 35 years and I have seen tides change and trends come and go but the new restro mod trend is growing and isn't going to go anywhere fast if at all, sure the pristine c3's especially 69-72 will not only hold their place and value bone stock their value will go up faster due to so many c3's being modded,
c3's especially the 74-82's are the last sort of affordable sort of muscle car from decades ago very fun to hop up and the restro mod trend ranges from the subtitle fellow who hates to admit this or that little thing is a mod up to wild radial rides, in most cases these car if not hack jobs will be worth more than their stock counterparts at re sale time but I see more and more builders caring far more about fun right now and not all **** about investment and resale value.
So yeah we are seeing and will be seeing more and more driver style budget builds.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:36 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

I went with a 3 row champion and I'm glad I did. No fitment issues and it works as it should... was able to put the money I saved toward other things needed to move the project along.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:34 AM
jgcable
Racer

So... I ended up buying the American Eagle (Champion) 2 Row heavy duty aluminum radiator. It has the 1" tubes. Model number AE718.
Installation was flawless. I had to trim the lower and upper rubbers but that's it. It fit in perfect. The original radiator shroud fits perfectly and I drove around for an hour in 90 degree heat and the temp stayed around 190. Looks good too.
Cost me $200 delivered. Bought it from Jegs which btw... is a GREAT company to do business with. So is Summit. So is Wilcox and Corvette Central. I think I bought from just about every online company!
Anyway.. so far... I am very happy with my decision.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:32 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by jgcable
So... I ended up buying the American Eagle (Champion) 2 Row heavy duty aluminum radiator. It has the 1" tubes. Model number AE718.
Installation was flawless. I had to trim the lower and upper rubbers but that's it. It fit in perfect. The original radiator shroud fits perfectly and I drove around for an hour in 90 degree heat and the temp stayed around 190. Looks good too.
Cost me $200 delivered. Bought it from Jegs which btw... is a GREAT company to do business with. So is Summit. So is Wilcox and Corvette Central. I think I bought from just about every online company!
Anyway.. so far... I am very happy with my decision.
I expected to hear this and happy it did work out so well, lots of people seem to be going the way you did...I should have.

Quick Reply: Radiator Suggestions