C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:01 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Radiator Suggestions

1977 stock 4spd. My existing radiator seeps at the bottom. Its probably one of the only parts I didn't change when I completely rebuilt my car! I would like to get an aluminum radiator and leave it natural aluminum color. It needs to be direct fit and I don't need anything fancy. My car is a stock L48 with headers and side pipes. No AC. With the stock leaking radiator my temp never got over 180 for over an hour of driving around town. The most important things I am looking for in a new radiator is direct fit and aluminum. I used the search feature on the forum but not much came up besides expensive radiators. I would like to be around the $200 mark.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:23 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm looking to I've seen some speak of Champion. Summit has some to. I would love a Dewitt's but just can't see dropping that much money. I've read reviews but, like everything what can you believe
Old 04-29-2016, 08:26 AM
rdroket
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

JMO...Dewitts are awesome
Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rdroket
JMO...Dewitts are awesome
what he said....My Dewitts is money well spent.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 AM
jgcable
Racer

Dewitts are indeed awesome. My motor is a stock L48. I really don't need to spend $500+ for a radiator. I am not racing and I don't live in Texas. Its not really that hot in Connecticut most of the time. I was looking at the Champion brand. They sell them on Ebay. I am thinking I only need a 2 row but I am not sure. Its a stock car with a 4spd. The most important thing is fitment. I want to be able to pull my old radiator out and drop the new one in and use my original stock radiator shroud. I don't want to modify anything.

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...tors-1977-1982
Old 04-29-2016, 08:40 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Only have experience with Dewitts which is really well made...
Old 04-29-2016, 08:49 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,394 Posts

I bought a cheaper radiator, and than when it didn't properly I sent it back and bought a DeWitt that did fit correctly. Lesson learned, you get what you pay for. I would have been way ahead to buy the DeWitt to begin with.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:10 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default DeWitts

Another vote for Dewitts. I have one in my 66 and one in my 68. Better built, better cooling. Jerry
Old 04-29-2016, 10:04 AM
jgcable
Racer

Funny... I was told that if I ask a question about a new radiator I would get slammed by Dewitts users! I do appreciate Dewitt and how they chime in and answer questions and are USA made but I can't swing $500-$600 for a radiator. I have a specific budget for this car and that kind of money is not in it. I need to be in the $200 range. Champion has 2 core aluminum for $160 delivered and 3 core for $200 delivered. I just need to find out which one is the best choice for a direct fit in my stock 77 L48 4spd. I don't have AC, I don't even have heat. Its just a stock SBC. Even my leaking 37 year old stock radiator keeps the motor at 180 for over an hour of driving. I am using my stock clutch fan and stock radiator shroud. I could probably get by with the stock plastic/aluminum radiator that Auto Zone has in stock right down the street from me for $160 but I really don't want to use plastic. I would prefer aluminum because I like the way it looks. I am not concerned about cooling performance on a 200hp SBC!!! 180 degrees is fine for me.

Last edited by jgcable; 04-29-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
Funny... I was told that if I ask a question about a new radiator I would get slammed by Dewitts users! I do appreciate Dewitt and how they chime in and answer questions and are USA made but I can't swing $500-$600 for a radiator. I have a specific budget for this car and that kind of money is not in it. I need to be in the $200 range. Champion has 2 core aluminum for $160 delivered and 3 core for $200 delivered. I just need to find out which one is the best choice for a direct fit in my stock 77 L48 4spd. I don't have AC, I don't even have heat. Its just a stock SBC. Even my leaking 37 year old stock radiator keeps the motor at 180 for over an hour of driving. I am using my stock clutch fan and stock radiator shroud. I could probably get by with the stock plastic/aluminum radiator that Auto Zone has in stock right down the street from me for $160 but I really don't want to use plastic. I would prefer aluminum because I like the way it looks. I am not concerned about cooling performance on a 200hp SBC!!! 180 degrees is fine for me.
Fair enough...my forum friend who lives near me, Karol, has a non Dewitts radiator in his 78 L-82 with no issues..don't know if it is a champion though..Pm Karol on the forum.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:37 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I had a be-cool, equivalent in cost to a Dewitts. It rotted out. I went with a champion which is verrry affordable. the fit and finish is as good or better than the Be-Cool. Not knocking Be-Cool, but I figured if the expensive ones can rot out then may as well get a cheap one and save the cash, since the expensive one didn't last anyway.
The following users liked this post:
croaker (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 02:03 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Please give us feedback on your choice I'd be intrested for sure
Old 04-29-2016, 02:09 PM
jgcable
Racer

Originally Posted by croaker
Please give us feedback on your choice I'd be intrested for sure
I am definitely going to go with Champion. I am just trying to figure out if I want 2 core with .75 tubes or their 3 core. My budget can handle either. The 3 core is around $200 shipped. The only one I know I don't want is their 4 core because I have read it has fitment issues. Apparently... Champion has been making (distributing, importing) or whatever you want to call it radiators for a REALLY long time and most of the reviews on line are good. I will take my chances considering they are offering a lifetime replacement warranty.
I went on the Dewitt Website to check out their radiators and the one for my car is over $500.00 which I am sure must be an amazing radiator. I really don't need amazing. I just need good.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:09 PM
jgcable
Racer

Originally Posted by gungatim
I had a be-cool, equivalent in cost to a Dewitts. It rotted out. I went with a champion which is verrry affordable. the fit and finish is as good or better than the Be-Cool. Not knocking Be-Cool, but I figured if the expensive ones can rot out then may as well get a cheap one and save the cash, since the expensive one didn't last anyway.
Which one did you get? 2 core or 3?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Dewitts are indeed awesome. My motor is a stock L48. I really don't need to spend $500+ for a radiator. I am not racing and I don't live in Texas. Its not really that hot in Connecticut most of the time. I was looking at the Champion brand. They sell them on Ebay. I am thinking I only need a 2 row but I am not sure. Its a stock car with a 4spd. The most important thing is fitment. I want to be able to pull my old radiator out and drop the new one in and use my original stock radiator shroud. I don't want to modify anything.

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...tors-1977-1982
I installed a Champion 2-row in a 76' around Christmas for a customer....
l-82/auto and it worked and fit very well.
Just make sure you have new rubbers and you may have to trim them a bit.......worth it for the price.
They are cheaper on E-bay if you shop.
Would I put one in my car? No. If it is an original look you want...this is not the unit.

Jebby
Old 04-29-2016, 03:00 PM
jgcable
Racer

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
I installed a Champion 2-row in a 76' around Christmas for a customer....
l-82/auto and it worked and fit very well.
Just make sure you have new rubbers and you may have to trim them a bit.......worth it for the price.
They are cheaper on E-bay if you shop.
Would I put one in my car? No. If it is an original look you want...this is not the unit.

Jebby
Why wouldn't you put one in your car? Cosmetics?? or something else? My car is custom. I am not at all concerned about what my radiator looks like.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Why wouldn't you put one in your car? Cosmetics?? or something else? My car is custom. I am not at all concerned about what my radiator looks like.
Yes....if you read what I wrote, that was implied
It is a great choice for a custom street machine....
My car is well modified, but keeps an original theme....
Not a big deal....just personal preference....

Jebby

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Suggestions

Old 04-29-2016, 06:25 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I too have seen this and it slams the door on any real learning about what else is out there in the world,
I like to discuss tech freely without being belittled.
I bought a dewitts, even custom upgraded, and for several reasons I wish I had bought champion,
and the very much reduced cost for an import unit that will do the job is just one small reason,
do not get me wrong dewitts is a work of art.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:31 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

At least on a BBC the Champion wouldn't fit without modification. I returned it for a Dewitts and it slid right in.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 PM
jgcable
Racer

Should I go 2 core or 3 core

Quick Reply: Radiator Suggestions