C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'73 Fuel Cap???

Old 04-29-2016, 12:07 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,639 Likes on 2,908 Posts
Default '73 Fuel Cap???

I just purchased my '73. I have been hunting a gas smell in the garage and removed the fuel cap for the first time to inspect it. When I removed it the cork gasket fell out of the cap and I could tell that it was not sealing properly. In prior posts I read that the original gas caps were stamped if they were vented or non-vented depending on vehicle year. This cap is not stamped however, there is a small whole that goes though a plate inside the cap so I'm assuming this is a vented cap and not proper for my year. I'm pretty certain this is a cheap pot metal/chrome aftermarket cap because the cork gasket falls out when replacing the cap and it is not stamped. I assume Chevrolet had a rubber gasket in their caps that does not fall out. Could someone snap a couple pictures of their original style caps for a '73 (top and bottom)? Also, does anyone know if Chevrolet still sells the OEM gas caps, or who sells a good replacement cap? Thanks!!!

Last edited by OldCarBum; 04-29-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:35 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

1973 would have a sealed system due to the EVAP system. Any of the Corvette vendors on this site can supply the correct cap and they typically have a picture of the cap.

Last edited by MelWff; 04-29-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I just purchased my '73. I have been hunting a gas smell in the garage and removed the fuel cap for the first time to inspect it. When I removed it the cork gasket fell out of the cap and I could tell that it was not sealing properly. In prior posts I read that the original gas caps were stamped if they were vented or non-vented depending on vehicle year. This cap is not stamped however, there is a small whole that goes though a plate inside the cap so I'm assuming this is a vented cap and not proper for my year. I'm pretty certain this is a cheap pot metal/chrome aftermarket cap because the cork gasket falls out when replacing the cap and it is not stamped. I assume Chevrolet had a rubber gasket in their caps that does not fall out. Could someone snap a couple pictures of their original style caps for a '73 (top and bottom)? Also, does anyone know if Chevrolet still sells the OEM gas caps, or who sells a good replacement cap? Thanks!!!
Nice to hear you just purchased a 73. Here are a couple photos of my 73' cap.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooch1
Nice to hear you just purchased a 73. Here are a couple photos of my 73' cap.
This is a photo of the bottom side of the cap. Original caps were manufactured by (Stant) and their logo is the stylized 'SM' inside a letter 'C' as pictured below. Some later service replacement caps just have an 'S' stamped in them.
Hope you have many "miles of smiles" with the 73'.
Regards,
Jim
Attached Images  

Last edited by Tooch1; 04-30-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:40 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

The original cap on my '73 looks the same as the one above. I just ordered a new one from Willcox. Mine is corroded and ordering a whole new cap wasn't much more than just getting a new seal.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,639 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Thanks Guys,
I noticed that Wilcox and Corvette Central have the stock style caps and will order a new one today.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:29 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

wrong thread.

Last edited by S'vette; 06-05-2020 at 04:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To '73 Fuel Cap???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '73 Fuel Cap???