C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass Body Mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:05 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fiberglass Body Mounting?

1. What is the best adhesive to mount the quarter panels for the front end of the C3 corvette? The frame closest to the firewall for front quarter panels is fiberglass to fiberglass.

2. What is the best adhesive to bond the front bumper. There is also the bumper hardware that will be use, but want to know if I should also place adhesive along the bumber/front end flange.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 01:15 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

The front is lower fender, The front upper panel is called Hood Surround.. the rear is the quarter panel. .....They are all SMC panels, you need an SMC adhesive like Evercoat SMC Panel Adhesive or another epoxy based adhesive. Polyester resin adhesives do not bond as well for SMC
Old 05-02-2016, 02:23 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
The front is lower fender, The front upper panel is called Hood Surround.. the rear is the quarter panel. .....They are all SMC panels, you need an SMC adhesive like Evercoat SMC Panel Adhesive or another epoxy based adhesive. Polyester resin adhesives do not bond as well for SMC
Great! Thanks. I'll look into the Evercoat SMC Panel Adhesive.

Just to add to this thread. I removed the bumperettes from the rear polyurethane bumper and need to patch / finish the cut polyurethane holes. Is there a way to patch polyurethane or would I need to just buy a new fiberglass or Tru-Flex bumper without the bumperettes?
Old 05-02-2016, 03:23 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Patching that big an area on urethane will not hold up.. I would get a new bumper .. Last thing you want is a year after you finish your paint, it starts showing thru
The following users liked this post:
ChromeVette (05-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass Body Mounting?

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Body Mounting?