C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end noise.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Mikey Bollinger
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end noise.

Hey guys so i just bought a 1969 c3 about a month ago. Its a project car so nothings pretty yet. I am doing small tlc work on it to make it drive smooth for now. I just replaced the front shocks and coils and thats it so far. Recently ive noticed loud creeking and popping from the rear end like an old door opening when i accelerate from a stop. Any ideas on where to start?
Old 05-02-2016, 03:31 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Any number of things... Trailing Arm bushings , front Differential Bushings , Crossmember bushings, Posi- Trac Clutch, if you are turning, , dry U-Joints , etc .. Try getting under the rear and have someone bounce it up and down. Try to isolate the noise ..
Old 05-02-2016, 07:23 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

I would drain rear end fluid
Check condition of fluid in neutral turn tires watch u joints corvettes have 6 u joints you will most likely change all of them over time
Do not forget to add the attive to rear lube
Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 PM
gsimon767
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey Bollinger
Hey guys so i just bought a 1969 c3 about a month ago. Its a project car so nothings pretty yet. I am doing small tlc work on it to make it drive smooth for now. I just replaced the front shocks and coils and thats it so far. Recently ive noticed loud creeking and popping from the rear end like an old door opening when i accelerate from a stop. Any ideas on where to start?
The clutches in a positraction rear end require a special additive that you can buy from GM and other sources. When it gets old the clutches stick and cause the noises you hear. Not knowing how old the gear oil and additive is, I would suction out the old and add new 90 weight gear lube and the additive. It may take two bottles of the additive. After replacing the fluids go to an empty parking lot and make about 10 slow figure eights. This will distribute the additive arround the clutches. Your noises will disappear assuming, of course, there is no damage to other components.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:49 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrachuck
I would drain rear end fluid
Check condition of fluid in neutral turn tires watch u joints corvettes have 6 u joints you will most likely change all of them over time
Do not forget to add the attive to rear lube
I always use the GM stuff.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Start with lube change the rear end with old fluid can make some noise.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end noise.