C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI Tech fails to deliver

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:42 PM
greghennings
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default FI Tech fails to deliver

Hey guys, just posting kind of a review for anyone looking to swap their carb out for one of FI Techs new EFI throttle bodies.

I have no doubt the EFI system they have is functional and works well, but they have ZERO inventory. I ordered an EFI kit and fuel pump back in February, and now its May 2nd. i just got an email today from the company i bought it from (major parts distributor i don't want to put them to blame) that my EFI wouldn't be shipping out till MAYBE June 15.

Now I've called the distributor and FI Tech directly about every two-three weeks and they told me it would be another 2-3 weeks. And i can tell you that June 15 is just a random date because i was originally told the kit would show up between March 15 and April 15.

The one conversation i had with the distributor he told me they had 90 orders in for these kits. Now that just one out of how many auto parts retailers? And one conversation with FI Tech i was told they had orders to fill as far back as January.

My advice is to anyone out there thinking about getting one of FI Techs efi kits, is don't waste your time. And if you have an order in, cancel it, unless you want to get it as a christmas present to yourself. As soon as my money gets credited back to me i'm spending the money and buying a Holley Terminator, it might be twice as much, but i can have it within a week. At least holley was up front about their Sniper efi not being available till mid June.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I ordered my 600hp power adder kit through Jegs late Feb and had it late March. What kit did you order?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:21 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

I was channel surfing TV a few days ago and saw a program "Engine Power" (I think that was the title). A 502 MOPAR was being built with a throttle body computer controlled system. It was on the dyno and was at about 600 HP. After hooting and hollering about how great it was, they bolted on a Holley for a comparison. The Holley put out about 30HP more than the Fancy Pants system. Nothing wrong with a properly set up carb.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:09 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
The Holley put out about 30HP more than the Fancy Pants system. Nothing wrong with a properly set up carb.
Because you always drive around on the street at full throttle.

OP: have you checked the Holley Terminator EFI?
The following users liked this post:
groovyjay (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 05:52 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Because you always drive around on the street at full throttle.

OP: have you checked the Holley Terminator EFI?
Well said,

I just visited FiTech HQ in Riverside, Ca and the guys are doing their best to cope with the demand. They had piles of boxes flying out the door as soon as they had done the initial tune on each unit. I was also able to pick up two of their new 800hp units while I was there. ( the demand is currently on the old 450-650hp range units and for 100$ more you can buy the 800hp unit).

Hope they get the backlog cut down some, in a long run it can't be good for business either. Check out their new 800hp unit for shorter (none) waiting time.

Last edited by groovyjay; 05-04-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:36 AM
greghennings
Instructor

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
I ordered my 600hp power adder kit through Jegs late Feb and had it late March. What kit did you order?
I had ordered the (probably the same) 30001 600hp kit and fuel pump. Maybe we're a little bit spoiled this day of age but in 2016 it shouldnt take more than a month to get something like this.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:12 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Been a surge in performance parts this year for many places and they are behind and can't keep up.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:18 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

But does anyone have actual dyno results from one on their own car ? I saw the test jnb spoke of myself.. Its true, they got around 615 HP from the FI Tech unit after a few " learning" runs, and then immediately dropped the holley on right from the box and got 634 HP ..just sayin.. Throttle body Injection does not make more HP... Direct Port does... BTW, I enquired about it because of the low price, from Pace Performance ....but they couldn t answer my questions and sent me to FI Tech Directly.. Seems the Unit needs 10 inches hg of manifold vacuum to function properly

Last edited by fishslayer143; 05-06-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:03 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Doesn't make more horsepower. Does start easier, run better cold, have better mixtures across the board rather than only at certain throttle positions. I have a couple of carbs here I could have used, but figured that the additional engine longevity from better mixtures (rather than washing the bores on start up etc) were worth it to me. For someone who doesn't drive as often or as far as I intend to it's probably not worthwhile. The fitech should make basically the same hp as a carb if setup/tuned right. The self learning will deal more easily with engines with decent vacuum, but the good thing about the fitech compared to other self learning setups is that you can go in and tweek the map manually with a laptop if you desire, so you can make it run well on any engine.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:39 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

That was the result of the test, it did NOT make the same HP as the carb.. its numbers were the best it could get after several runs to maximize power.. The carb was right out of the box and probably could squeeze another 20 hp on top of its pull if IT was dialed in for that motor.. And yes, I know you don't run WOT all day every day .. But you do go to the Track and do just that. Sure the TBI starts easy in the cold, but so does my Quickfuel .. I m sure FI TECH is a very good unit, just don't see $1500 worth of improvement over mine .. Now, if I did not have a carb yet, it might be an option worth looking at, but then, it cannot operate properly on big duration cams with low vacuum according to them. I m waiting for their Tech Dept to get back to me on their options for that.. They asked for all my engine specs, cam profile , and will get back to me. Perhaps the 800 HP 8 injector model could handle it? We shall see if they can give me an answer.. The one feature I do like is the Idle Controlled by the ECU. That could be a big benefit with A/T and A/C on high HP engines

Last edited by fishslayer143; 05-07-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:08 PM
greghennings
Instructor

as soon as i get credited back my money from the distributor i'm going to get a holley terminator kit. i'm about ready to name my distributor in this matter and start advertising for them too if they don't get my freakin money back to me. Funny, it takes literally seconds to take money off my credit card, a week later and still haven't gotten it back. Wouldn't surprise me if they try to pull some crap and take 20% as some kind of cancellation fee.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:31 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

The tech experts finally got back to me.. They say the 800HP unit will compensate for big cam . low vacuum. , just chose option 4 on basic setup and it will learn

Get notified of new replies

To FI Tech fails to deliver

Quick Reply: FI Tech fails to deliver