C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my new fan hitting the PS pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 03:45 AM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Why is my new fan hitting the PS pump?

Hi All,

Recently I decided to go back to an engine-driven fan on my '69, as I want to keep this car "old school". I managed to get an original shroud, the proper seals and the correct H 66 fan. For the moment I went with a Hayden 2711 fan clutch, as a rebuilt, date-coded fan clutch is out of the budget. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I fitted up the fan and clutch and this is what happened:

Has anyone seen this problem before? It looks like my fan clutch is too short, even though the Hayden 2711 is said to fit Corvettes. The fan itself doesn't look like it is sitting far enough into the shroud.

If anyone could help me, it would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:10 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Are you sure its not the fan that's the problem? Some of the fans I have seen had a notch out of the corner of the blades to miss that nut

JMPO
Old 05-06-2016, 08:29 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

My guess is you have the wrong fan clutch. Your fan blade is definitely not deep enough into the fan shroud. There should be about 1" of fan blade out the back of the shroud for proper cooling. Even if you had adequate clearance with the setup you have now, you would likely have overheating issues.

Last edited by drwet; 05-06-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:27 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Are you sure its not the fan that's the problem? Some of the fans I have seen had a notch out of the corner of the blades to miss that nut

JMPO
Even my '71 BB fan blade has the notch to clear the PS nut.

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 05-06-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Do you have enough room for a small spacer? My guess is that 3/4 of an inch will work?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:04 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Do you have enough room for a small spacer? My guess is that 3/4 of an inch will work?
I wouldn't space it out any, you want the clutch connection installed completely over the water pump shaft.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:41 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

I just checked my 69 with the original L36 427 and your setup is the same as mine and looks correct. There is NO notch in the fan blades in 69 and the clutch is the same with the same distance from, or in the shroud. My blades clear the PS nut by only about a quarter of an inch so that is why they were notched in later years. It looks to me that your PS belt might be just a bit too short allowing the nut to hit the blades. A half inch longer belt would move the pump out a quarter of an inch or you could notch the blades if you don't care about "correct". I would look at the length of your PS belt because the rest looks stock for a 69 BB.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:08 AM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you everyone for your help so far in the baffling mystery.

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I just checked my 69 with the original L36 427 and your setup is the same as mine and looks correct. There is NO notch in the fan blades in 69 and the clutch is the same with the same distance from, or in the shroud. My blades clear the PS nut by only about a quarter of an inch so that is why they were notched in later years. It looks to me that your PS belt might be just a bit too short allowing the nut to hit the blades. A half inch longer belt would move the pump out a quarter of an inch or you could notch the blades if you don't care about "correct". I would look at the length of your PS belt because the rest looks stock for a 69 BB.
Having spent another frustrating afternoon out on the garage, I think that CanadaGrant is on to something. The power steering pump is adjusted to its minimum extension, with no room to pull the pump further forward. To me, this indicates that a longer belt will get me into the middle of the adjustment range, pulling the blades away from the nut.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is my new fan hitting the PS pump?

Quick Reply: Why is my new fan hitting the PS pump?