C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring cutting/lowering front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I just checked my driver's side, 27 1/4" ground to fender, I could get 2 fingers in the gap which translated to about 1.5".

Again, untrimmed 550s and 27.1" tires. One thing that I forgot about is that I'm running bilstein sport shocks in the front - I know some shocks let the suspension sit a little lower than others.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I just checked my driver's side, 27 1/4" ground to fender, I could get 2 fingers in the gap which translated to about 1.5".

Again, untrimmed 550s and 27.1" tires. One thing that I forgot about is that I'm running bilstein sport shocks in the front - I know some shocks let the suspension sit a little lower than others.
Are you talking the factory 550 gymkhana springs or the aftermarket ones? Aftermarket ones are lower.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cutting a spring if it is done properly and is not a spring with flat ends. In fact, as you are increasing the spring rate, a cut factory gymkhana spring will likely handle better than an aftermarket one at the same ride height, though it will of course ride stiffer. It also allows you to creep up on the desired height/geometry, rather than just accepting whatever comes off the shelf.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Are you talking the factory 550 gymkhana springs or the aftermarket ones? Aftermarket ones are lower.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cutting a spring if it is done properly and is not a spring with flat ends. In fact, as you are increasing the spring rate, a cut factory gymkhana spring will likely handle better than an aftermarket one at the same ride height, though it will of course ride stiffer. It also allows you to creep up on the desired height/geometry, rather than just accepting whatever comes off the shelf.
I agree w/ you there. I am running aftermarket but wire diameter, ID, OD of coils and total unloaded spring height matched the stock specs. That said, metallurgy could be different.

If I was really trying to finely tailor ride height and spring weight, I wouldn't be bothering w/ the stock suspension, FWIW.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

So what's the final verdict on cutting? Does it always have to be a full coil cut for the spring to fit in the pocket correctly? A half coil won't work?
Old 05-21-2016, 12:17 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
So what's the final verdict on cutting? Does it always have to be a full coil cut for the spring to fit in the pocket correctly? A half coil won't work?
Rookie here.......if I remember correctly a full coil must be cut off for it to sit in the upper and lower control arm pockets and butt against the factory "stops". (You can "get away" with cutting half a coil off the spring, but you take a chance on a "short" sqeeky spring end sliding in the pocket.

If the car sits lower than you prefer after cutting the full coil you can buy a hard rubber spacer that rest in the lower control arm pocket/the coil spring sits on the spacer and increases the gap above the tire.....I added 1/2" rubber spacers under my coil springs.

Before:

After: After this pic was taken I lowered the rear the same anount

Last edited by doorgunner; 05-21-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I don't believe that to has to be multiples of a coil, but that's my opinion and it's obvious that others disagree. I cut off half a coil first, sat fine, spring sat happily in the seat, no noise or other abnormalities. I then cut another half coil as I was still above VIP specs. But to each their own.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:16 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I don't see a problem cutting any amount desired off a coil but I've never done it. In order for the coil to rotate, the top coil would need to rotate out its pocket, no? And I doubt the spring can unwind or wind in on itself. Or, maybe you could drill a hole in the lower CA and use the head of a bolt as a stop for the end of the bottom coil if there was a concern of the spring rotating.

Last edited by resdoggie; 05-21-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

My car sat high like that also. i have alum heads, accessories, and radiator. I cut 1 coil it only dropped an inch, i took them back out heated the coil I cut to bend and shape to match factory end. When reinstalled this dropped my car to 25.5in. I did this going in know it could ruin my springs and I may have to replace them, plan was to do semi coil overs if they are ruined.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:11 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I've had my car out and put a few miles on her and rechecked ride height. It's still 27-1/4" on the left side but the right dropped a 1/4" to 27-1/2". I'm happy with that.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:32 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I've had my car out and put a few miles on her and rechecked ride height. It's still 27-1/4" on the left side but the right dropped a 1/4" to 27-1/2". I'm happy with that.
That sounds great......thanks for the update!

Quick Reply: Spring cutting/lowering front end