C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Controlled Spark Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:52 PM
damocksta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Controlled Spark Switch

I am in the process of upgrading the engine on my 1974 350 cu in with an automatic transmission. I have new aluminum AFR heads installed with a Performer intake and a 600 cfm Quick Fuel Technology carb. My question is in regards to the Transmission Controlled Spark Switch that was installed on the right side (passenger) head. The threads on the switch are much larger than the threads on the new head. I don't live in California and don't care about this emission feature of which the switch is a part. Can I just omit the switch and secure the wire so it doesn't cause any problems or are there more steps to properly disable this system? I have the same problem with the temp sending unit on the left side (driver's side) head. I was thinking of installing a thermostat housing that will accept the coolant temperature sensor that was installed in the head. Can anyone let me know if I am on the right track or should I be finding another place to mount the coolant temp sensor? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:25 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

As far as the TCS switch is concerned, you can just leave it disconnected. You will need to connect a vacuum hose from one of the carb ports directly to your distributor vacuum can, by-passing the TCS solenoid (if installed).
The following users liked this post:
damocksta (05-15-2016)

Quick Reply: Transmission Controlled Spark Switch