C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'82 - Water Getting In

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:28 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Default '82 - Water Getting In

The carpet gets wet in my '82 whenever it rains, even just sitting in the driveway. I've already replaced the T-top weatherstripping. From what I can tell, the water first gets the carpet wet at the bottom/front of the doors. Door and pillar weatherstripping isn't perfect, but doesn't seem bad enough to cause as much water as I'm seeing. Is it likely this is running down the door glass and into the doors, then finding its way out at the front? If not, is there a common item of weatherstripping or seal that causes this symptom?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:10 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I use a dollar bill to check for seal leaks between glass and rubber seals.For the t-tops I use baby powder on the seals .check for leaks the day after a rain.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:30 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

A very overlooked spot is the windshield wiper area. The sealer cracks and water laying on that tray just finds its way in. You'll never see a drip because it runs down the firewall, to the toe boards and then under the rug.
You can use a thin spray sealer in that area to go over all the cracks for a temporary fix. Then do a winter project.
The following users liked this post:
Peterbuilt (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

In my '77, most of the water was coming in at the top of the hinge pillar. There is a metal "channel" at the top of the door jamb, right where it meets the fender, that is supposed to guide water down to the hinge area, but the water was draining through seams behind that "channel" because all the seam sealer had dried out cracked. I also had some leaks in the wiper area.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:58 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 828 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by rgwoehr
In my '77, most of the water was coming in at the top of the hinge pillar. There is a metal "channel" at the top of the door jamb, right where it meets the fender, that is supposed to guide water down to the hinge area, but the water was draining through seams behind that "channel" because all the seam sealer had dried out cracked. I also had some leaks in the wiper area.
I also had this same issue on my 74 and found this same putty type sealer had hardened and shrunk leaving a gap at the bottom of the ends of the windshield... I suspect its where my wet carpet and rusted pillar area came from over the years. (rust was there prior to me buying it)

Last edited by augiedoggy; 05-17-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:26 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

I'll take another look for cracked/shrunk sealant around the wiper tray area. I probably should run a garden hose over the car, starting with the windshield and working my way up and onto the sides. Thanks for the tips!

Get notified of new replies

To '82 - Water Getting In

Quick Reply: '82 - Water Getting In