C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please recommend an intake for my 383

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 10:25 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
RPM range is 2300-6200, 227/233 I/E @ 0.050". It's a Howard's hydraulic retro roller. I have an M21 close ratio with a 3.55 rear. You know, I read all the information I could get on SP and DP intakes and looked at some dyno comparisons. There ain't much difference in the lower rpm range between the air gap and team g. Nor mid-range and high rpm. But there is a difference in carb pad height. The larger the air filter you can fit under the hood will let the engine breathe better. As I mentioned, I have a 4" high filter but due to the designs of the drop base filters, I still have a 3" high gap between the lid and the carb opening. You will be choking air flow with manifolds that have a high carb pad height like the air gap. It may or may not make a difference for making tq/hp. Anyway, in the end I went with the team g because it was far easier to fit under my hood, lots of filter area for the engine to breathe and a few lbs of tq loss doesn't concern me.

Buy a FILTERED top for your drop base .. no need for tall elements
Old 05-21-2016, 10:47 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

AFR heads port size. 2.110" H x 1.265" W 5/16 Radius

Edelbrock rpm air gap port size. INSTALLATION NOTE: Use #8504 Edelbrock bolt kit. Recommended intake gasket: Edelbrock #7201. Manifold height: A-4.20", B-5.25" (same as #7101); Carb pad height: 4.72". Port exit dimensions: 1.14" x 1.95". For the heights of all Edelbrock manifolds, please visit the the Manifold Reference Dimensions page.

Only an unknowledgeable person would use or suggest this manifold for use with AFR 195 heads

Last edited by gkull; 05-21-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:56 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Team "G" 7530

Single Plane with Isolated Plenum
Square Carburetor Mounting Flange
Isolated Water cross-over
Power band: 2800-7200 RPM
Height: Front 3.63", Rear 4.56"
Port Size: 2.10” height 1.24" width

https://www.holley.com/products/inta.../parts/7530WND
Old 05-21-2016, 11:00 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
Buy a FILTERED top for your drop base .. no need for tall elements
I spoke to a local machine shop about this. They had a customer who was a local track racer. He tried one of the filter top lids. Claims he could feel the difference in power - a loss, so he went back to a solid lid. Just sayin'.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:02 AM
gkull
Team Owner

If this is the carb you intend on getting............. I would advise against it. They are kind of a junking low performance. Two people on this forum could never get them right. My buddy took his off after 6 months

https://holley.com/products/fuel_sys.../parts/0-80670

Last edited by gkull; 05-21-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:06 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Tibbs
My cam will be custom ground and will be delivered in approx 3 weeks. What are the rpm numbers on your cam card? As i understand it, since I am planning on a lower rpm torque engine vs. high rpm, the single plane might not be the best intake for a lower rpm build. But hey, I m learning as I go..I really appreciate all the forum members input..gives a lot to ponder
If you want tq down low, the cam you're considering may have too much duration. Maybe a 268* would be better for your goals.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:55 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I spoke to a local machine shop about this. They had a customer who was a local track racer. He tried one of the filter top lids. Claims he could feel the difference in power - a loss, so he went back to a solid lid. Just sayin'.
What other changes were made ? I really doubt you could feel any seat of the pants performance either more power or less power by putting on any filter top lids.

Any gains or losses would be in the 2-5HP range. Even if it was 10HP you can't feel that. Now getting up to 20HP either way you might be able to "feel" it but the lid or no lid is not giving you 20HP either way.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:19 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

215 Heads in this test..Airgap did pretty good.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...d-comparisons/
Old 05-21-2016, 04:25 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

color me skeptical on that... I saw no difference in times with mine
Old 05-21-2016, 04:28 PM
gkull
Team Owner

My first 383 had a substantially bigger 232/238 roller cam and I felt that it was too mild.

As to top filter K&N air cleaners. I've been using one for years. I don't have scientific data, but a straight column of air with flow more cfm that turbulent air. (The same reason for keeping the intake and heads the same port size). K&N filter tops claims to straighten out the air which makes more sense than say dropped base intakes that air changing the air more than 90 degrees from the filter to the throttle bores.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:38 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by MotorHead
What other changes were made ? I really doubt you could feel any seat of the pants performance either more power or less power by putting on any filter top lids.

Any gains or losses would be in the 2-5HP range. Even if it was 10HP you can't feel that. Now getting up to 20HP either way you might be able to "feel" it but the lid or no lid is not giving you 20HP either way.

Theres no way it has a big enough difference either way to "feel" it .. I saw no effect on 0-60 or 1/4 mile either way , but I have 3 inch element .. .. It you have a 2 in element, the filtered top will certainly allow more air .. Unless you believe, as someone one once told me , that movement of car sucks the air out of the carb thru the lid .....
Old 05-21-2016, 11:40 PM
Tibbs
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RPM range is 2300-6200, 227/233 I/E @ 0.050". It's a Howard's hydraulic retro roller. I have an M21 close ratio with a 3.55 rear. You know, I read all the information I could get on SP and DP intakes and looked at some dyno comparisons. There ain't much difference in the lower rpm range between the air gap and team g. Nor mid-range and high rpm. But there is a difference in carb pad height. The larger the air filter you can fit under the hood will let the engine breathe better. As I mentioned, I have a 4" high filter but due to the designs of the drop base filters, I still have a 3" high gap between the lid and the carb opening. You will be choking air flow with manifolds that have a high carb pad height like the air gap. It may or may not make a difference for making tq/hp. Anyway, in the end I went with the team g because it was far easier to fit under my hood, lots of filter area for the engine to breathe and a few lbs of tq loss doesn't concern me.
I know what you mean about all the research for single/dual planes, carb pad height, stock hood clearances, drop base cleaners, thinner air filters, etc. I think I'm going with the Edelbrock Performer EPS..we'll see just what happens when I attempt to close the hood
Old 05-22-2016, 08:15 AM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an Edelbrock Performer duel plane on my 383 with the stock 73 hood. Used the 1970 LT-1 air filter set up with the Quadrajet, no problems.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:38 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tibbs
I know what you mean about all the research for single/dual planes, carb pad height, stock hood clearances, drop base cleaners, thinner air filters, etc. I think I'm going with the Edelbrock Performer EPS..we'll see just what happens when I attempt to close the hood
Really How close of a match up is that to your head ports?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:42 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by MotorHead

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
color me skeptical on that... I saw no difference in times with mine
Originally Posted by gkull
My first 383 had a substantially bigger 232/238 roller cam and I felt that it was too mild.

As to top filter K&N air cleaners. I've been using one for years. I don't have scientific data, but a straight column of air with flow more cfm that turbulent air. (The same reason for keeping the intake and heads the same port size). K&N filter tops claims to straighten out the air which makes more sense than say dropped base intakes that air changing the air more than 90 degrees from the filter to the throttle bores.
I don't really care how they effect performance because I don't need one but here is a FAQ from the R2C Performance Products website and their recommendation in this specific application:

Q: We run an off-road race truck. We are changing from a K&N to yours. We have run a flow thru top in the past. We will be running your 4412 base with your 5 inch tall filter. Should we run a flow thru top or not?
A:
Our recommendation would be to avoid the air cleaner tops that incorporate media. This is especially true when the filter top is exposed to high face velocity and airflow across the top of the filter.

Pressure drop issues may actually cause a detrimental effect across the booster/venturi. We have seen many that were wet with fuel on the clean side.

It's also been discussed on other forums such as NastyZ and Yellow Bullet and the consensus is they will reduce performance. So, maybe the local oval track racer was right. Again, just sayin'.

Last edited by resdoggie; 05-22-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:53 AM
gkull
Team Owner

personally I drive around with my hood on and actually a cowl cold air idea.

So the circle track and a air cleaner above the hood does not apply
Old 05-22-2016, 11:31 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

I don't really care how they effect performance because I don't need one but here is a FAQ from the R2C Performance Products website and their recommendation in this specific application:

Q: We run an off-road race truck. We are changing from a K&N to yours. We have run a flow thru top in the past. We will be running your 4412 base with your 5 inch tall filter. Should we run a flow thru top or not?
A:
Our recommendation would be to avoid the air cleaner tops that incorporate media. This is especially true when the filter top is exposed to high face velocity and airflow across the top of the filter.

Pressure drop issues may actually cause a detrimental effect across the booster/venturi. We have seen many that were wet with fuel on the clean side.

It's also been discussed on other forums such as NastyZ and Yellow Bullet and the consensus is they will reduce performance. So, maybe the local oval track racer was right. Again, just sayin'.
I generally don t remove my hood before racing.. maybe you do and then you should use a closed top... because, if you think the air velocity under the hood will suck fuel out of your carburetor, well....lets just say I disagree...and so does K&N who actually design and test this stuff every day ...just sayin

Get notified of new replies

To Please recommend an intake for my 383

Old 05-22-2016, 11:32 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkull
personally I drive around with my hood on and actually a cowl cold air idea.

So the circle track and a air cleaner above the hood does not apply
Old 05-22-2016, 12:32 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

I have a Weiand Street Warrior and run with the stock LT1 hood. It comes in two heights 3.65 and 4.62. I'm running the 3.65 which is #8125.

The engine builder who finished and dynoed the motor said it was very even through the entire engine rpm range and was impressed. He now stocks them. It also looks "stock" for an LT1.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:00 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

K&N Race Specific XStream Air Flow Air Cleaner Lid Built For On-Road Racing Use

Printer Image

K&N XStream Air Flow Top filter 66-1400R is made with fewer layers of cotton

K&N XStream Air Flow Top filter 66-1400R is made with fewer layers of cotton to provide even more airflow and less restriction than a standard XStream Air Flow Top

K&N XStream Air Flow Tops replace the lid of existing round carburetor air filter assemblies thereby adding additional air filter surface as well as INCREASED AIRFLOW. The additional filtration area redirects airflow inside the air cleaner allowing the carburetor and engine to pull in EVEN MORE AIR for even greater performance. K&N XStream Air Flow Top, number 66-1400R, takes this concept one step further for racing use. XStream Air Flow Top 66-1400R is made with fewer layers of cotton to provide even more airflow and less restriction than a standard XStream Air Flow Top for road racing .

Last edited by fishslayer143; 05-22-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Please recommend an intake for my 383