C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please recommend an intake for my 383

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 04:53 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

It's looks like you guys only read the Q/A part of my post. For the others in here considering a filter media lid, do some research in some other forums. Most folks threw them out due to a loss in performance because they claim it disrupts the air flow/pressure over the air bleeds/boosters and they weren't using open hooded engines. That said, some claimed they did see a performance gain.

Last edited by resdoggie; 05-22-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:01 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
It's looks like you guys only read the Q/A part of my post. For the others in here considering a filter media lid, do some research in some other forums. Most folks threw them out due to a loss in performance because they claim it disrupts the air flow/pressure over the air bleeds/boosters and they weren't using open hooded engines. That said, some claimed they did see a performance gain.
how can it disrupt airflow when it flows from directly above the carb... Velocity stacks are used for max HP because they direct the airflow STRAIGHT DOWN into carb.. this is the same direction... Its a myth that it can suck fuel out thru the lid. I don t need to read what someone else did,, I ve had one for years... I m telling you from first hand knowledge, it does not reduce power nor does it suck gasoline out of the carb with a hood on the car.. But, its your car, use what you like, but you are providing mis-information to others
Old 05-23-2016, 11:57 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

This is how ol' wives tails get their start, nothing bad about the filter top
Old 05-23-2016, 12:35 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

It's no myth. Like I also said, some have no issues using it - others have. I don't see why you and slayer can't grasp that. Anyway, I was only bringing this up because it is not always the best solution for anybody who has a low hood clearance whether it's a vette, camaro, mustang, etc.

Here's a quote from another forum. Maybe he doesn't know as much about performance as you two.

" I have guys come in and run dyno test of a filters all the time. The cheap paper ones ( 5 doillars ) are just as good as the very expensive ones ( K&N )none of the air cleaners will come close to the air turbine that comes with the dyno to measure CFM-- it will beat any anr filter by 7 HP as a general rule of thumb- Most engines will make a few more HP with some form of air cleaner( or at least the base part )

The flow through lid does NOT make any more HP, it looses 7 or 8 HP most of the time

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES"
Old 05-23-2016, 01:30 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks, but I am keeping mine
Old 05-23-2016, 05:52 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

I hope you do. Like I said, some guys like 'em and some report a loss in performance but please don't shoot the messenger.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:18 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

^^opinions will vary and people will argue about it like oil wax and floormats all day long
Never saw any of the big 3 making them
Maybe the guy that sticks a lawnmower sized air cleaner on his motor could make use of more media or common sense

Last edited by cv67; 05-23-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
^^opinions will vary and people will argue about it like oil wax and floormats all day long
Never saw any of the big 3 making them
Maybe the guy that sticks a lawnmower sized air cleaner on his motor could make use of more media or common sense
Floor-mat argument? I guess I missed that one.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:45 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

In the past I have used velocity stack and stub stacks on 4 barrel carbs.

The whole idea is smooth air flow into the carb increases cfm and any pressure drop caused by restrictive or insufficient air filter element sq inches decreases cfm.

So the air filter base should be rounded to smooth the air flow coming in.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...aner-assembly/

Quick Reply: Please recommend an intake for my 383