C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 signal flasher

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:37 PM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 81 signal flasher

OK... i have an 81 that I got a couple of months ago and have been clearing up little items as I go. I got the taillights working with a new brake switch and fixing one tail light socket, but my blinkers have always been iffy. I get left it right but not always flashing. I got a new flasher, and when I pulled the old one this odd resistor or capacitor came with it. It looks old, and seemed to fit in the slots with the flasher terminals. I did not put it back in but I install the new flasher, tested the lights and they flash correctly now. It looks too old to be a load resistor for an led conversion, and there are no led bulbs in the car. Anyone know what that is?
Old flasher and odd part
It isn't marked like a resistor nor does it look like any capacitor i know.

Last edited by MarkinSETX; 05-20-2016 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 05-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

It's a capacitor-

It's function was to minimize the static pop in your radio.

Richard
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
Elba Mike (05-21-2016), MarkinSETX (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 11:45 AM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

That makes sense. Thank you! I couldn't make out terminal designations so I was not sure. I know you don't put in a cap backwards. Poof. No more magic smoke. Lol.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:50 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkinSETX
That makes sense. Thank you! I couldn't make out terminal designations so I was not sure. I know you don't put in a cap backwards. Poof. No more magic smoke. Lol.
That's a wax/paper capacitor. There's no polarity, so it can't be put in backwards. You may need to reinstall it (or a modern replacement) if the radio pops. Alternately, a solid-state flasher solves that problem.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:23 PM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 454Luvr
That's a wax/paper capacitor. There's no polarity, so it can't be put in backwards.
All I remember about capacitors is from 25 years ago in my electronics class for my electrician's apprenticeship. I remembered the long and short legs indicating polarity, and I remember distinctly 1 going pop when I got it inserted in the circuit backgrounds. So the wax/paper capacitor is something different for me. I did upgrade to a louder, heavier-duty, and magnetic flasher. Upon reinstallation and subsequent use, I do not have any popping in my stereo. Of course it is a new stereo, the previous owner had put in an after-market one, and I upgraded to a better quality head unit. Thanks for the Post.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:29 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Actually your flasher -is not polarized.

One side is constantly hot (+12V) when you turn on the turn signals- the other side is hot when the light flashes...

The best thing to do to a capacitor is plug it directly into a wall outlet...a 120VAC and them make great firecrackers...Don't ask me how I know...

OK- you get an extension cord- plug in about 470mfd 25V cap in the end of the cord unknowingly place it near your buddy/co-worker..then walk across the room and plug it in!!!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:03 PM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Richard454
Actually your flasher -is not polarized
Eh, i think it is. 12v in on one terminal, the other terminal feeding the lights then to ground. If you could manage to turn the flasher around, feeding 12v to the opposite terminal wouldn't engage the thermal or magnetic flasher. If I read the wiring correctly.

Never popped anyone with a capacitor, but we did have fun with a 500Mohm megger once in a while.

Now that I understand the wiring better, it could be that capacitor shorted out, bypassing the thermal switch in the flasher. That would be why they didn't flash but would light up. In any case, pulling the old flasher and capacitor did the trick. Thanks to all..
Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Sorry meant the capacitor is not polarized...

Basically the flasher is really just an open and close switch...if you jumped the two terminals- the lights would stay on- so the second terminal in NOT a ground...
Old 05-24-2016, 09:57 PM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

Gotcha. That is basically what I thought when I saw the wiring for them. I appreciate your comments, and I appreciate the help figuring that out. Like I said, I think either the Flasher had shorted across or the capacitor had, because whenever I would hit left or right turn signals lights would just stay on. Either way, it's fixed in the lights work! Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 signal flasher

Quick Reply: 81 signal flasher