C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to push her off to start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 PM
LRB
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Had to push her off to start?

I need some help from the experts out there.

I took my 75 4-speed out today for a ride in the nice GA. weather and to get a steak with my wife. Lucille (car's name) started perfectly and ran great to the steak house. Parked and went in and while we were waiting to be seated, I decided to move her to another parking place. She would turn over, but would not fire, went back in to eat (could not enjoy the steak while thinking about car) while hoping it was vapor lock. Finished the meal and tried to start her again, and same thing. Pushed her out of the parking spot and turned key to on position and put it in second and popped the clutch...started right up. Ran great on drive home and once in garage, she started right up every time I tried her.

It seems like there was no power to distributor, but now it's fine. It is hard to fix something went it ain't broke anymore....Thoughts.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:12 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Rookie here/sounds like a loose connection: Connect a voltmeter to the positive terminal on the distributor wire connector(HEI)....then place it so you can easily see the meter....turn the ignition to the ON position.........start at the distributor an "wiggle" the plug/harness every few inches while watching to see if the voltage drops......work your way to the firewall where the wires enter the back of the fuse block. Then turn the ignition off for a while to letthe system "cool off". Then do the same wire wiggle test under the dash if necessary from the ignition switch to the fuse block.........also wiggle the fuses to see if the meter fluctuates.

Slightly move the key itself to see if the short is in the switch itself located lower on the steering column
Old 05-23-2016, 06:15 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Could the starter be getting too hot....?

On a side note...First trip I took my wife on in the '72 was to get a steak...It started after the meal, but went dead at a red light and wouldn't start back up....Came home on a rollback, dropped car in the driveway and yep it fired right back up. I'm in the North GA area as well.

Brian
Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

It probably hates to be called Lucille.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:35 AM
LRB
Instructor

The following users liked this post:
Alwyn678 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

possibly a bad key switch not giving power to the distributor in the "start" position, since you say it turned over fine. try using a remote starter switch on the starter with key in "run" and see if it starts, then try to duplicate the problem with the key in start. or just use a DVM to test all the connections...
Old 05-23-2016, 09:02 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

This one got me a couple of times when I first got mine. I didn't push the clutch down far enough to engage the the safety switch
Old 06-16-2016, 03:51 PM
LRB
Instructor

Update. I finally got her to not start after a good long drive in the 90+degree Georgia heat. Got home and let it set for about 15 minutes and tried to start, just turned over would not fire. Test power to HEI battery connection, had 12+ volts. Sprayed starter fluid in carb and started up. Engine compartment very warm. Engine running 190. Thoughts, vapor lock?
Old 06-16-2016, 04:52 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by LRB
That was a "Cool" movie.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:09 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Kenny Rogers would say that Lucille picked a fine time to leave you.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:12 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Sounds like it could be vapor lock. Next time look into the carb and move the throttle lever to see if gas squirts in, if no, then you are on the right track. Does it have the stock style fuel pump with the return line?
Old 06-18-2016, 08:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wondering if your module or coil is starting to go
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 PM
LRB
Instructor

Default Update on starting issue.

I wanted to give an update on my starting issue. I realized that this started after I filled up my tank at a different gas station that I normally use. I have used the same station since I bought the car accept for that one time. I filled the tank at my usual station and then checked the float level on the carb, (had the carb rebuilt by a highly recommended local shop) the front float level was low, so adjusted it to the bottom of the float sight hole.
No problems since then, starts right up after long hot runs and short runs. Hopefully I am good now, we will see.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 PM
LRB
Instructor

Default Update on not starting issue

After chasing this problem for about a year I think I have it solved. As mentioned in this post, there were times the car would not start with the key, motor would turn over but not start, it would start if pushed off.

Earlier this week the issue showed up again, but this time at home. I checked for spark and had no spark when turning the motor over. Went to Summit Racing a purchased HEI rebuild kit. Replaced distributor cover with new coil, new module and rotor button. Took the car out and noticed it seemed to have a little more perk and started every time.

Keeping my fingers crossed I have killed this gremlin that has been lurking
around for a year or so.

Will let you know.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:16 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by LRB
Driving us crazy and loving every minute of it. That fits.

Get notified of new replies

To Had to push her off to start?

Quick Reply: Had to push her off to start?