C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley 2 barrel tuning -Volvo Penta 2004

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:56 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Holley 2 barrel tuning -Volvo Penta 2004

I posted this in other cars, but thought I might get some good advice over here , so here it is:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ta-2004-a.html

I have a 2004 Glastron with a GM 5.0 (305) Volvo Penta with Holley 2 barrel. I took it out of heated storage (my garage) this weekend, finally. It will start easily and runs very smooth.

I'm noticing this issue and not sure where to start with it:

1) When cold- it starts and idles with zero throttle at around ~600rpm and will stay there for a few good minutes without any throttle input.

2) When still cold and within a minute of starting, I give it some throttle to rev it up once, going back to zero throttle, the idle will now stay at ~1200 rpm. It will stay at this rpm whether in gear on in neutral.

3) When at running temp (160F), after ~10 minutes of running, the electric choke would have timed out long ago, the idle will still sit closer to ~800-1000 rpm after a rev up and going back to zero throttle.

It has electric choke and I have made sure the leads are nice and tight for power so there should not be an intermittent restart of the electric choke.

Does this sound more like a classic choke problem or would a simple idle speed adjustment be the place to go next?

I want to adjust as little as possible from the settings that are mostly working.

Appreciate any assistance!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:34 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,814 Likes on 1,604 Posts

with no key in the ignition, have you looked at what the choke is doing when completely cold after depressing the gas peddle fully to the floor once and NOT starting the car. The choke blade should full close with a light pressure in warm weather conditions, 72 F.
You are stepping on the gas peddle fully, one time, before attempting to start?
Old 05-23-2016, 04:53 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a boat, so what I do is give the throttle 2 pumps, to let the carb accelerator pump do two squirts down the carb throat to prime it for starting.

This would be with the ignition on, so the choke should be activating. I'll try to eyeball this.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:52 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

When it is idling between 800-1000, what happens of you reach in and press the red lever for fast idle down?

If pushing that down lowers the idle, then I think you are looking at a choke related issue.

If it idles up and you reach down to press that red lever and find its already bottomed out, then you have other issues it would seem to me.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

It sounds like it's not coming all the way off of the fast idle cam. If you didn't have this problem when you put it away last fall, I'd spray some carb cleaner on the linkage for the choke. It may have some residue gummed up on it from last season.
Duane
Old 05-24-2016, 10:48 PM
maxmachz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Unhook the throttle cable and do it by hand. Could be a bad cable that does not return the throttle linkage consistently to the same spot.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:24 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by maxmachz
Unhook the throttle cable and do it by hand. Could be a bad cable that does not return the throttle linkage consistently to the same spot.
Or weak return spring
Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane4238
It sounds like it's not coming all the way off of the fast idle cam. If you didn't have this problem when you put it away last fall, I'd spray some carb cleaner on the linkage for the choke. It may have some residue gummed up on it from last season.
Duane
a lot of marine carbs do not have a fast idle cam because you keep the idle speed up with the hand throttle
Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane4238
Duane
a lot of marine carbs do not have a fast idle cam. you keep the RPM up using the hand throttle

Get notified of new replies

To Holley 2 barrel tuning -Volvo Penta 2004

Quick Reply: Holley 2 barrel tuning -Volvo Penta 2004