C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N air

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:47 AM
stephenmsweigart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N air

Any thoughts on using K&N to improve airflow....any noticeable improvement in throttle response? I have an open paper filter now but would like to improve air flow.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:50 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I use them. They say they increase air flow but you probably won't feel it. What's nice about them is you can clean them, re-oil them and use them virtually forever.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:08 AM
Blue Juice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I have tried a few air filters, including some homemade foam designs (on other cars from the Corvette), but always return to K&N.

I don't think you will experience a difference in performance that you can feel, unless your current filter is clogged and restrictive, in which case any replacement will be an improvement.

From a practical point of view, regardless of the make you choose, I would recommend as large a filter as you can fit. This provides the greatest surface area possible and keeps the velocity of the air at the point of passing through the filter to a minimum. This gives a lower restriction to flow which is a good thing.

I know this is (another) heated topic and I look forward to the arguments already, but for where I live (Scotland) we don't have excessive dustiness, in fact there is minimal airborne material apart from rain.
It seems to be that paper filters seem to be favored by those in dusty environments.

I like my K&N, the build quality is excellent and it works for me.

4" x 14" diameter on a drop base, Performer RPM intake and an L82 hood to clear it all

Old 05-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I would run a 14x3 paper if it would fit but since not, I have been running a smaller K&N. With the addition of a K&N filter top, motor gets plenty of air flow. No problems for years now.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 PM
kevinll63
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

highti=Blue Juice;1592278817]I have tried a few air filters, including some homemade foam designs (on other cars from the Corvette), but always return to K&N.

I don't think you will experience a difference in performance that you can feel, unless your current filter is clogged and restrictive, in which cashe any replacement will be an improvement.

From a practical point of view, regardless of the make you choose, I would recommend as large a filter as you can fit. This provides the greatest surface area possible and keeps the velocity of the air at the point of passing through the filter to a minimum. This gives a lower restriction to flow which is a good thing.

I know this is (another) heated topic and I look forward to the arguments already, but for where I live (Scotland) we don't have excessive dustiness, in fact there is minimal airborne material apart from rain.
It seems to be that paper filters seem to be favored by those in dusty environments.

I like my K&N, the build quality is excellent and it works for me.

4" x 14" diameter on a drop base, Performer RPM intake and an L82 hood to clear it all

[/QUOTE]

Hey blue juice is there anyway you can take a picture of the way you mounted the Gauges under your hood like to do something like that and how more hight did the l88 hood give you
Old 05-29-2016, 12:51 AM
Blue Juice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Kevin,
Sorry about the slow reply, I was in the process of heading back offshore when I first posted.
I took a couple of additional photos before leaving, so here they are...

The car with the hood down and the gauges hidden

The Gauges are semi-temporary. I want them to be removable in the future without any signs being left that they were there, so I just used sticky squares and cable ties.
It worked out well though, and no-one has ever commented on them looking temporary.

The actual gauges are; An Air/Fuel meter with the sensor on the right-side collector, a manifold vacuum gauge to assist with carb tuning and a mechanical oil pressure gauge because I was having oil pressure issues and was (falsely) dubious of the factory electrical one.

The hood is an Ecklers L82. I have done nothing to it to at all. The gauges just fit in the space that was there.
I also have the black plastic cover for the windscreen trough. That's what the sticky squares adhere to.

From inside the car the gauges are easily visible (poor light in this photo)

I hope this helps.
I am 100% sure that a permanent installation would be easy to complete, but I am happy with my rough and ready set up, although I notice that I need to replace a sticky pad on the vacuum gauge

Cheers,
Douglas
Old 05-29-2016, 05:35 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

You won t feel any difference over paper element since paper will flow more than a stock motor can inhale .. I use K&N but I would not recommend them in very dusty areas. they do not filter as well
Old 05-29-2016, 08:39 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I use them. They say they increase air flow but you probably won't feel it. What's nice about them is you can clean them, re-oil them and use them virtually forever.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:05 PM
kevinll63
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Juice
Hi Kevin,
Sorry about the slow reply, I was in the process of heading back offshore when I first posted.
I took a couple of additional photos before leaving, so here they are...

The car with the hood down and the gauges hidden

The Gauges are semi-temporary. I want them to be removable in the future without any signs being left that they were there, so I just used sticky squares and cable ties.
It worked out well though, and no-one has ever commented on them looking temporary.

The actual gauges are; An Air/Fuel meter with the sensor on the right-side collector, a manifold vacuum gauge to assist with carb tuning and a mechanical oil pressure gauge because I was having oil pressure issues and was (falsely) dubious of the factory electrical one.

The hood is an Ecklers L82. I have done nothing to it to at all. The gauges just fit in the space that was there.
I also have the black plastic cover for the windscreen trough. That's what the sticky squares adhere to.

From inside the car the gauges are easily visible (poor light in this photo)

I hope this helps.
I am 100% sure that a permanent installation would be easy to complete, but I am happy with my rough and ready set up, although I notice that I need to replace a sticky pad on the vacuum gauge

Cheers,
Douglas
Thanks for the pictures
Old 05-31-2016, 08:07 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
You won t feel any difference over paper element since paper will flow more than a stock motor can inhale .. I use K&N but I would not recommend them in very dusty areas. they do not filter as well
I agree too... I used a k&n in my 84 and after a few years the cotton gauze disintegrated (I did do normal recommended cleaning and reoiling) THEY DO NOT LAST FOREVER like people want to believe. The damage went unnoticed until I read an article posted on a truck forum I belong to... to make a long story short my 84 had less than 100k on it and burned a lot of oil when I sold it.. My truck which uses a paper element has 154k and still doesnt burn any oil... I am not saying the fact that the k&N broke down and allowed my dust through was the reason for sure for my engines demise but its very suspect after reading the articles where they tested them and found that even the new k&N filters allow more dust and dirt through than a paper element. its a tradeoff theres no magic solution that creates more airflow without allowing more dirt through from the same surface area.

Its just now worth it for me from what Ive see so far to use them anymore... they would be great for a track car but mine sees too much dust.

some of the of the many articles on the subject

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/k-...ml#post3886876

Last edited by augiedoggy; 05-31-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
I agree too... I used a k&n in my 84 and after a few years the cotton gauze disintegrated (I did do normal recommended cleaning and reoiling) THEY DO NOT LAST FOREVER like people want to believe. The damage went unnoticed until I read an article posted on a truck forum I belong to... to make a long story short my 84 had less than 100k on it and burned a lot of oil when I sold it.. My truck which uses a paper element has 154k and still doesnt burn any oil... I am not saying the fact that the k&N broke down and allowed my dust through was the reason for sure for my engines demise but its very suspect after reading the articles where they tested them and found that even the new k&N filters allow more dust and dirt through than a paper element. its a tradeoff theres no magic solution that creates more airflow without allowing more dirt through from the same surface area.

Its just now worth it for me from what Ive see so far to use them anymore... they would be great for a track car but mine sees too much dust.

some of the of the many articles on the subject

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/k-...ml#post3886876
Hmmmm...

I have had my K&N filter in the OEM housing on my 78 L-82 since 1985 and still do. It is in perfect shape.

I also have a K&N filter in the factory air cleaner housing on my 2008 Chrysler 300 since brand new, currently with 140,000 miles and had this same EXACT filter in my 2005 Chrysler 300 for 50,000 miles before that...Total mileage on this filter is 190,000 miles...motor does not burn an oz of oil. Filter is perfect.

And there is more....K&N filter in my 2001 Pontiac grand prix factory air cleaner assembly since day 1 when new, current mileage 190,000 miles...engine burns zero oil.

If your engine burns oil, it is probably not because of the K&N air filer....

Last edited by jb78L-82; 05-31-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Hmmmm...

I have had my K&N filter in the OEM housing on my 78 L-82 since 1985 and still do. It is in perfect shape.

I also have a K&N filter in the factory air cleaner housing on my 2008 Chrysler 300 since brand new, currently with 140,000 miles and had this same EXACT filter in my 2005 Chrysler 300 for 50,000 miles before that...Total mileage on this filter is 190,000 miles...motor does not burn an oz of oil. Filter is perfect.

And there is more....K&N filter in my 2001 Pontiac grand prix factory air cleaner assembly since day 1 when new, current mileage 190,000 miles...engine burns zero oil.

If your engine burns oil, it is probably not because of the K&N air filer....
I have no idea why your experience has been different than mine but I installed my filter when the Car had 76k or so on it and noticed it had deteriorated badly when the car had 93k it looked fine until I did a close inspection of the filter material behind the rigid screen in the light and saw all the holes. Since it was allowing a lot of dirt and dust through it very well could have contributed to the issue of the oil consumption.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Use them on All my cars and trucks. Why would you not, since it virtually last's forever if you Pressure Air it off and keep it oiled.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:36 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
Use them on All my cars and trucks. Why would you not, since it virtually last's forever if you Pressure Air it off and keep it oiled.
Well I think the reasons why many think they arent always the best choice has been mentioned a few times now...

I for one washed mine with the provided cleaner and rinsed them under my kitchen faucet before laying it out to dry and reoiling and it was apparently too much pressure because it didnt hold up. Maybe I did something wrong?

Plus they just dont work as well as a filter.. They allow more of everything through, air and dirt. if someone uses them in a dusty environment they would be a poor choice compared to paper. At least thats what all the actual testing seems to indicate.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 05-31-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:30 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Like many have run both went back to paper now never noticed an iota of difference
When they were cheap figured why not. Would just spray them down with hot water and Dawn, rinse out and air/blow dry. Very light oiling

On EFI cars I refuse to run them anymore, if oil gets past them and onto the MAF good luck.

Last edited by cv67; 05-31-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:08 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Like many have run both went back to paper now never noticed an iota of difference
When they were cheap figured why not. Would just spray them down with hot water and Dawn, rinse out and air/blow dry. Very light oiling

On EFI cars I refuse to run them anymore, if oil gets past them and onto the MAF good luck.
As long as you LIGHTLY oil them as specified in their directions, there is no issue on EFI cars...I run them on 3 of my cars with EFI....2 with a lot of mileage-see post #11.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 05-31-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:00 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

14x3 Paper here for the C3. New one every year! I put a KN dry filter in the C5 but no real reason cept they were on sale.

I dont think they add any measurable improvement.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:50 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Haters will hate and lovers will love. Oiled filters are meant for dusty areas that's why they are oiled to capture the finer dust particles. If there are MAF problems then they are over oiled. I've had a K&N filter in my '03 Ford Sportrac since near new. I only took it out a couple of times over 12 years to give it a shake. K&N recommends to run them with a bit of dirt on them. Last year I decided to clean it in soapy water. Let it dry and lightly, repeat, lightly re-oiled it. A year later, truck still runs fine with 90K miles on the odo.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N air

Quick Reply: K&N air