C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd pulse

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:19 PM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd pulse

I just bought my 81 a couple months ago, and it had been sitting idle for a couple years. Starts and runs pretty well. The motor was stroked to 383, new edelbrock carb and intake and all about 5k miles ago, so probably a few years. I ran some seafoam for a couple tanks, then changed out the fuel filter, it was dirty. One trip I got the car up to about 95, it seemed to stutter, then it was like the gas was pulsing from the tank. At every subsequent stop the car would die. Running slowly through the neighborhood the car would again pulse and surge. A couple trips later and this has gone away. I checked the filter, fuel seems clean. I probably need to clean the carb, and my first thought was old/bad gas. Any tips on what to look at? I can do mechanical things, buy was never a gear head so am pretty new to any carb tuning and such.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:34 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

did you look at the Edelbrock site for any publications that cover your carburetor, you don't mention which model carburetor.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 PM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, was at work. It is an edelbrock 1404 carb with performer intake manifold.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:14 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

My guess is that you have "fixed" the problem by driving some of the bad gas out of it.

If you have continued problems, my guess is clogged filter, carb settings then pump

Get notified of new replies

To Odd pulse

Quick Reply: Odd pulse