C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Cant unlock hood!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:50 PM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 1969 Cant unlock hood!

Look like I screwed up here but surely I am not the only one this has happened to ?!?
In putting the hood latch back on, the hood dropped down and latched on one side (drivers only) and the release cable has pulled out so effectively is not connected.
The hood is now down and locked and I can't figure how to open it!
Any ideas??
Hopefully I am not drilling an access hole through my hood !!!!
Thanks, Pete
Old 05-24-2016, 09:22 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

There is an access hole under the wiper door grille. You can see the same hole on the passenger side.
Most have a "rubber" plug in the hole that can be popped out. You will see a slight V grove that lines up with the hole. You then use a bent section of rod and pop the hood open. Put the rod into the hole and push on the latch.

If you are real good with a 1/4 drive flex socket setup you can get the hood bolts loose from under the car - a real pain but I do know someone who did it.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 05-24-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Luckily the pass side did not latch. Grab the pass side and gently pull up while pushing side to side on the hood and it will pop loose from the other latch.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:44 PM
69CRUZR
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Recent Forum thread on stuck hoods

SEE this FORUM discussion from March 2016 that has some great information provided by ALAN71 and MGB who shared a video that shows you the location of the plastic plug that BLUE1972 noted above. Hopefully this gives you a better idea about hte mechanics of the hood latch operation on a 68-77 C3. Good Luck...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-details.html

Old 05-25-2016, 02:09 AM
VancouverL71
Racer

OK, Thank you everyone for the info. Worst case scenario I will take off the hood bolts which I see are accessible. But looks like I can push on the release (sounds like I push it towards the front of the car) through the side grills. I didn't even think of looking through there, but I just did and can see it all. Just need to find the right tool tomorrow morning to get some leverage. As a side note, I have the plug through the wiper grill on the passenger side only but my drivers side has an approx 4"x 4" cover plate that looks factory with 4 bolts and 2 rivets. Thank you everyone as usual!!
I will let everyone know how I make out.
Pete
Old 05-25-2016, 01:22 PM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any method you use, it is a good idea to "dry" practice with your method, locate the plastic plugs. Another tip is to turn on the wipers and "park" them straight up, this gets the linkage out of the way. I have a tool like the one in Alan's SB, going on 50+ years, it was a saver in the early years, later years you could use a screwdriver, slill had to locate the plugs. If you use a escape cable,don't let it hang too low, Visiable from the outside, invites a possible vandal.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:22 PM
VancouverL71
Racer

OK Success,
My hood is open.
For anyone that reads this tread I will try to make it a bit easier (on early 1969 cars anyway)
Firstly, the 3/4" plug is only on the passenger side.
For the drivers side which was my problem, a long metal rod about 3 feet long is all you need. Put it through the side gills and shine a flashlight and push the lever on the hood, not the latch lever itself as you get way more leverage and have someone else lifting the hood up while doing it. Came of very easy now that I know the technique.
I can not comment on the passenger side.
Thanks again everyone for the helpful advice.
Pete

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Cant unlock hood!

Quick Reply: 1969 Cant unlock hood!