C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 door panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 02:46 AM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 1969 door panels

Well today I put my door panels back in since handles/locks/crank are all finally working.
I realize I need now door panels and they are on my list but not at the top of it just yet. So I have two problems and wondering what other people have done. I am considering long screws to keep the panel properly in as I sacrifice these old warped panels till I get to new ones.
Anyway,
1. how do you get the panel to stay snug to the door, I can't get the little velcro like plastic bits to attach to each other. (this is where I am considering 3 inch sheet metal screws until I get new replacemnts?
2. What piece am I missing at the base of the window glass, is it part of the interior door panel that would cover this metal bit?
3. unrelated but does anyone know if either of these two items are factory. I assume that one may be tribometer reset but not even sure of that as it does nothing. As for the other one, any ideas
As always, thanks for any ideas.Pete

Old 05-26-2016, 07:40 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Black J bracket in pic one slides into a pocket on the back side of the door panel, then screws to the door. There's a second one on the front of the panel.

Second pic shows left over reinforcement for old door main weatherstripping.

Switch and **** in pic 3 is not factory. Rusty bracket behind it could be factory and is holding the odo reset cable. **** is missing..

FWIW: do you have the assembly instruction manual (AIM)?

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-26-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi V71,
I believe I would remove the door panels and try to determine if the 'fasteners' can be repaired before putting screws through the panels.
Perhaps these pictures will help you see what's a little more typical.
Regards,
Alan

The missing weatherstrip.

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-26-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:52 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Its obvious that the J clip has pulled through the door panel on the back side. What you might consider doing is patching the pocket it slides into and then re-attach it to the panel and install it back on the door. You might try something like Plastic Fusion or some other epoxy that will stick to the back side of the door panel. It looks original so if it is it'll be made of fiberboard and won't be an easy fix.

Mike nailed the other questions you had. And lastly.. door panels are on sale at this link https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tarts-now.html
Old 05-26-2016, 01:43 PM
VancouverL71
Racer

Thanks so much for the help everyone. Alan as usual your pictures are spectacular and thanks so much Wilcox and Mike.
I do have the AIM which I got from Wilcox but as most know, it can be a bit hard to follow at times. My doors are the fibreboard and the person before me must have been a bit heavy-handed taking them off. I will try a temporary repair as they will be replaced next fall.
Thanks again guys.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I've got some original fiberboard panels as well.

I used some of these 'Magdaddy" magnetic mounting plates on the back of the panel- as the door's inner structure is metal. These work great!!! A few bucks apiece- Summit Racing sells them.

http://magdaddyusa.com/products/all-...agnetic-plate/

Old 05-26-2016, 05:20 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

My old panel ripped off the clips.

So I bought a new one for my 69 and it also won't lay flat against the door.
I have to push hard to get the clips to align so they are just going to rip off again.

Richard got any pictures of these magnets installed? Are both sides just glued in place.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:59 PM
VancouverL71
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard454
I've got some original fiberboard panels as well.

I used some of these 'Magdaddy" magnetic mounting plates on the back of the panel- as the door's inner structure is metal. These work great!!! A few bucks apiece- Summit Racing sells them.

http://magdaddyusa.com/products/all-...agnetic-plate/

Hey Richard,
That looks like it might keep me going until next fall. How did you attach them to the fiberboard? I am surprised the magnets are strong enough.
Pete
Old 05-26-2016, 10:45 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by ddawson
My old panel ripped off the clips.

So I bought a new one for my 69 and it also won't lay flat against the door.
I have to push hard to get the clips to align so they are just going to rip off again.

Richard got any pictures of these magnets installed? Are both sides just glued in place.
I still haven got the ones in the pic- as they were BO...I did get the ones that you can mount w/ a screw.

Just need the magnet- as they'll stick to the door metal skin great!! These are really strong!! I'm going to dab some fiberglass resin to hold them into place.

I am customizing my original door panels- To stiffen them up and make them curve to fit the door- I flexed them using some wood blocks and some C-clamps, then took some fiberglass resin and brushed the back of the panel- and it worked great!!!

Panel fit- nice and tight!!!

here's the one you can mount w a screw-

Are they strong? YEP!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 door panels

Quick Reply: 1969 door panels