C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:54 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Weird turn signal problem

My 69 has a strange turn signal issue going on, when the ignition switch is in the off position the turn signals still work and they flash at a normal speed, when the ignition switch is on they flash very fast. I've only had the car for about two months, I'm trying to fix all the issues it has. I can tell that the turn signal switch isn't original, it has an adapter harness to connect it to the car's wiring harness. I'm guessing that the problem is in the turn signal switch but I'm not sure. I would like to replace it with a switch that plugs directly into the wiring harness without the need for an adapter harness, is one available new? Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was the cause?
Old 06-03-2016, 01:04 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
My 69 has a strange turn signal issue going on, when the ignition switch is in the off position the turn signals still work and they flash at a normal speed, when the ignition switch is on they flash very fast. I've only had the car for about two months, I'm trying to fix all the issues it has. I can tell that the turn signal switch isn't original, it has an adapter harness to connect it to the car's wiring harness. I'm guessing that the problem is in the turn signal switch but I'm not sure. I would like to replace it with a switch that plugs directly into the wiring harness without the need for an adapter harness, is one available new? Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was the cause?
This is one you really might wanna post some pictures, do you mean the switch is the rat rod clamp to column type or just generic of some sort with an adaptor at the wiring,
as far as slow when power off fast when power on,
If I was gonna just toss guesses, when the key is on they are getting far more/better power for some reason, the flasher is getting hotter in turn flashing faster,
Old 06-03-2016, 01:11 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by The13Bats
This is one you really might wanna post some pictures, do you mean the switch is the rat rod clamp to column type or just generic of some sort with an adaptor at the wiring,
as far as slow when power off fast when power on,
If I was gonna just toss guesses, when the key is on they are getting far more/better power for some reason, the flasher is getting hotter in turn flashing faster,
It's not a rat rod style clamp on turn signal switch that mounts on the outside of the steering column, it's mounted inside the steering column like it's supposed to be but it has an adapter to make it be able to plug into the wiring harness of the car.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:13 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Does anybody know what the factory GM part number is for a turn signal switch in a 69 vette WITHOUT tilt/telescopic steering? There's a bunch of NOS switches on ebay but most of them don't specify if it's for a car without tilt/telescopic steering. The ones that do specify what it's for are for vettes WITH tilt/telescopic steering. I want to make sure I get the right switch the first time around, I don't want to buy one and then find out it's the wrong one after I take the steering column apart to install it.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:34 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Does anybody know what the factory GM part number is for a turn signal switch in a 69 vette WITHOUT tilt/telescopic steering? There's a bunch of NOS switches on ebay but most of them don't specify if it's for a car without tilt/telescopic steering. The ones that do specify what it's for are for vettes WITH tilt/telescopic steering. I want to make sure I get the right switch the first time around, I don't want to buy one and then find out it's the wrong one after I take the steering column apart to install it.
Hit up mr ernie willcox on here, for a couple reasons,
He will know just what you need and also know if a better version is made, some stuff on ebay regardless of where it's made is junk, and that isn't a job you wanna do twice
The following users liked this post:
Willcox Corvette (06-07-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 06:26 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Hit up mr ernie willcox on here, for a couple reasons,
He will know just what you need and also know if a better version is made, some stuff on ebay regardless of where it's made is junk, and that isn't a job you wanna do twice
Willcox is out of stock of the switch I need. The turn signal switches I'm looking at on ebay are NOS AC Delco turn signal switches, not aftermarket switches. The ones that are offered by Willcox, corvette America, zip, and eckler's are aftermarket reproductions. Given the choice I'd rather have an original NOS AC Delco switch over the reproduction switches offered by the corvette specialty shops which is why I need to find out what the original Delco part number is for a 69 vette turn signal switch without tilt or telescopic steering so that I can get the right NOS AC Delco switch.

Last edited by TheGreek!; 06-03-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Well, dammit man, I am thinking its the same part but I still would have asked mr willcox,
my only reserve with nos is will a 30-40 plus yo plastic part be brittle?
Old 06-03-2016, 09:50 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Have you checked all of your lamps, a lot of cars do a rapid flash when a lamp is dead. With that said, I have no idea about the C3, I haven't had mine running in years. I doubt this is the cause on such an old car.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:05 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Update:

I've determined the cause of the rapid turn signal flash, it was the turn signal flasher. I replaced the turn signal flasher and now the signals flash at a "normal" speed. Here's where it gets weird again though, when I remove the hazard light flasher from the fuse box the problem with the turn signals working when the key is off goes away. And the hazard lights still work without the hazard light flasher, they flash using the turn signal flasher. Without the hazard light flasher installed everything seems to work like it should but when you put the hazard light flasher back in place the turn signals will work with the ignition switch in the off position.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:18 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

The turn signal switch, hazard switch and even brake lights all work with/through that turn switch, it changes who does what depending on what's pressed, pushed or turned on, when things have bad or no ground odd things will happen, when a bulb it burnt odd things can happen,

My brain never booted today but something isn't wired correctly,
The hazards should not flash using the turn flasher.

the hazards should work even with no key.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:09 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

The turn signal switch, hazard switch and even brake lights all work with/through that turn switch, it changes who does what depending on what's pressed, pushed or turned on, when things have bad or no ground odd things will happen, when a bulb it burnt odd things can happen,

My brain never booted today but something isn't wired correctly,
The hazards should not flash using the turn flasher.

the hazards should work even with no key.
Yeah I'm at a loss now as to what's going on with it. I just tried it again, this time with the hazard light flasher installed and the turn signal flasher removed. The turn signals work using the hazard flasher now and they work with the key in the off position again. The hazards work with the key in the on or off position (like they're supposed to). When I tried it with no hazard flasher and just the turn signal flasher the signals worked like they're supposed to (when the key is in the on position and not when the key is in the off position) and the hazards worked too but only when the key was in the on position. All the bulbs work so I don't think the problem is with a bad bulb. What is wrong with my car? Could the problem be in the turn signal switch?

Last edited by TheGreek!; 06-04-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Yeah I'm at a loss now as to what's going on with it. I just tried it again, this time with the hazard light flasher installed and the turn signal flasher removed. The turn signals work using the hazard flasher now and they work with the key in the off position again. The hazards work with the key in the on or off position (like they're supposed to). When I tried it with no hazard flasher and just the turn signal flasher the signals worked like they're supposed to (when the key is in the on position and not when the key is in the off position) and the hazards worked too but only when the key was in the on position. All the bulbs work so I don't think the problem is with a bad bulb. What is wrong with my car? Could the problem be in the turn signal switch?
I love auto wiring and trouble shooting it, I just have bad brain fog today, but going back to what you said about an adaptor plug, it could be wrong even some cat changed a few wires for who know what reason, with care you can get a wire out of a plug with no damage,

example, my 87 fiero has a factory flaw to correct it one has to switch the wires on the temp sender and switch two wires in the dash plug,

Anyway, go back to this adaptor plug I believe that is the puzzle piece at the moment.
Things are getting power when they are not suppose to, from what "I saw on the net that adaptor is to make one switch fit more...
Old 06-04-2016, 10:14 PM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

On the older GM flasher sys. the turn signal flasher unit controls both the turn signals and the em flashers and it does not use two flashers .Maybe the adapter is converting an older style unit to you're newer style vette turn signal system . So if that is the case than you would only need the one flasher than when you install the new original turn signal you'll have to put the em flasher unit back in.

Pete
Old 06-04-2016, 10:31 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by sparky77
On the older GM flasher sys. the turn signal flasher unit controls both the turn signals and the em flashers and it does not use two flashers .Maybe the adapter is converting an older style unit to you're newer style vette turn signal system . So if that is the case than you would only need the one flasher than when you install the new original turn signal you'll have to put the em flasher unit back in.

Pete
well, In this case his car is a 69 mine is a 69 they come with the hazard flasher on the fuse panel and the turn flasher behind the lower passenger dash, ( if no one hack jobbed it )
but I do believe the adaptor plug is a key to this puzzle.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:37 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

well, In this case his car is a 69 mine is a 69 they come with the hazard flasher on the fuse panel and the turn flasher behind the lower passenger dash, ( if no one hack jobbed it )
but I do believe the adaptor plug is a key to this puzzle.
Does your turn signal switch plug directly into the wiring harness or is there an extension/adapter harness between the plug on the switch and the plug on the harness?
Old 06-04-2016, 10:43 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Does your turn signal switch plug directly into the wiring harness or is there an extension/adapter harness between the plug on the switch and the plug on the harness?
I recall it being direct but in the light tomorrow will take a picture when I double check.
Mine is tt thought
Old 06-05-2016, 01:17 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

I recall it being direct but in the light tomorrow will take a picture when I double check.
Mine is tt thought
Good news, I fixed the problem, yay! I replaced the turn signal switch and everything is good now, no more weird issues. Everything works like it's supposed to now. The switch was an aftermarket replacement that I bought at a local O'Reilley auto parts store. I know, I said I wanted to use an NOS AC Delco switch but I decided to try an aftermarket switch from a local auto parts store instead because I didn't want to wait a week for an NOS one to arrive from ebay, I wanted to see if I could fix it today. Man what a headache that was, it was a real brain burner trying to figure it out. What made it even worse was working outside on it in the 110 degree heat we had today (I live in Tucson Arizona). I felt like I was gonna melt, lol. Thanks for your input in this thread though, if the turn signals in your 69 ever start doing the strange things that mine did you'll know what to do to fix it.

Last edited by TheGreek!; 06-05-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:32 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Good news, I fixed the problem, yay! I replaced the turn signal switch and everything is good now, no more weird issues. Everything works like it's supposed to now. The switch was an aftermarket replacement that I bought at a local O'Reilley auto parts store. I know, I said I wanted to use an NOS AC Delco switch but I decided to try an aftermarket switch from a local auto parts store instead because I didn't want to wait a week for an NOS one to arrive from ebay, I wanted to see if I could fix it today. Man what a headache that was, it was a real brain burner trying to figure it out. What made it even worse was working outside on it in the 110 degree heat we had today (I live in Tucson Arizona). I felt like I was gonna melt, lol. Thanks for your input in this thread though, if the turn signals in your 69 ever start doing the strange things that mine did you'll know what to do to fix it.
I'm glad you got it fixed.. And just so you know Bats reached out to me to help you but emails sent to us through the forum go to the sales team and that fella there was off Monday. So I just got it today.. If any of you guys need me for something feel free to email me direct at support@Willcoxcorvette.com.. That's the best way. That email address follows me.

Ernie
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:22 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

The important part is you got it working,
So Tucson, I am in Eustis fl, and it's like a sauna most days, not as high as your numbers but, I saw a bird flying by burst into flames,

There is a part near Tucson I cant get home to Eustis, you hauling any truckloads this way....

Get notified of new replies

To Weird turn signal problem

Quick Reply: Weird turn signal problem