C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:07 PM
hamrad
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Differential help needed

I think the differential is going bad in my 73 coupe. Was out driving and it started making a clicking noise in the rear of the car. It is really bad when turning. I checked the half shaft u joints and they seem ok. There is no play in the rear wheel bearings as far as I can tell.

I am unfamiliar with the corvette rear ends so need some advice. With the car in neutral, should I be able to turn the rear tires fairly easily? I jacked up the rear of the car and they will turn about a half of turn and then it gets really tight. Also, I removed the fill plug and the rear end oil looks silvery.

So, if this turns out to be bad what are my options?

Thanks for any replies...............

Last edited by hamrad; 06-06-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Not done
Old 06-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Try changing the oil first, get a siphon, some new gear oil and two bottles of GM Limited Slip Axel Lubricant.
Add one bottle of GM LSAL, top it off with gear oil and take a ride and make some figure eights to circulate the oil.

If you have the rear wheels hanging down the half shaft U-joints are binding, raise each wheel and you will be able to rotate the tires.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 PM
hamrad
Instructor

Guess I'll give the oil change a try. The car has set for the last 10 years. I just took it out this evening for a 20 mile drive and the noise just started. Before that it has only been driven a couple miles since I have had it. Got things good and warm this evening.

Have only had the car a short while.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:31 PM
hamrad
Instructor

Put the car back on the ground and can move straight forward and backward with no noise. Makes a heck of a racket if trying to turn. Hope the new oil fixes it!
Old 06-06-2016, 08:21 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by hamrad
Put the car back on the ground and can move straight forward and backward with no noise. Makes a heck of a racket if trying to turn. Hope the new oil fixes it!
Read this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...diagnosis.html

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:22 PM
rworley6641
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the occasion to assist with this exact same problem with a friend's 1973 3:36. It ended up being the C clip that holds the axle stub inside the housing. The c clip popped off and then got ground into metal slivers by the ring and pinion. With that metal floating around, I would question how long the bearings are gonna last, plus your risking damaging the gears on the ring and pinion. If it were my situation, I would stop now and open the rear cover to inspect. Not an easy task with the rear spring attached; but you might be able to salvage the ring and pinion and cleanup the bearings before the metal filings damage everything. If you let it go on, you could be looking at a total rebuild or buying another rear end. Sorry for the bad news, let us know how it works out so we can all become educated.

Last edited by rworley6641; 06-07-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential help needed

Quick Reply: Differential help needed