C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EX TV Cable Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 06:58 AM
ted13b
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EX TV Cable Adjustment

I've just finished installing a Monster Transmission Stage 2 rebuilt 200-4R trans in my 77, with the Bowtie Overdrives EZ TV system. The 1-2 shift seems late, and hard at part throttle, and I believe the TV cable is adjusted correctly. Does anyone have experience with the adjustment on the BTO linkage at the carb? I currently have the oval piece in it's lowest position, but I don't see anything in the instructions about what raising or lowering it is supposed to accomplish. Any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:33 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Put a gage on the pressure tap left side of case. You will see an instant increase in pressure as soon as the throttle is cracked open, that means the adjustment is correct. The late shift is probably due to the governor, the one in my Regal turbo transmission shifted late too, it's the way it's calibrated for the application.

Last edited by SH-60B; 06-14-2016 at 07:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ted13b (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Stage 2 will have a firm to hard shift no matter what. The TV cable can be played with, a few clicks looser may give you the shifting point you want but always error to the tighter side for trans longevity. If this doesn't work for you, there's a half dozen other ways to adjust it but it's much more involved
ted13b (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 11:52 AM
ted13b
Racer

Thanks for the responses guys. I like a nice, crisp shift, and the 2-3 shift is great, but sometimes, especially cold, the 1-2 shift comes late, around 2500 RPM, and really slams into gear. I guess my real question is by raising the EZ TV linkage, how will this affect the shift points? Will it make the shifts at a lower RPM, or higher, or no difference?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:56 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

The TV cable controls line pressure, the governor controls shift points.
ted13b (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 01:40 PM
ted13b
Racer

So a late, hard shift would be the governor? And I'd want the line pressure tight, to keep the pressure up?
Old 06-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

I had the same issue as you with my 200-4R. I hated the late shift and stage 2 set up was too hard shifting for my liking.
The BTO linkage allows you to keep tension on the valve in the trans body but at the same time adjust the rate of the cable moving the valve this means you can adjust this to suit what you need without having the cable loose at the all important time when you start to step on the gas. This is my understanding of what it does at least.
In my case the 1-2 shift was late at part throttle but at WOT it was too early as was the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. The BTO linkage and one of their springs in the valve helped somewhat but in the end the only way I could get the 200-4R shifting the way I wanted was to change out the whole valve body and use a modified one from CK performance as well as a modified governor. The transmission will now up shift at under 2000 rpm when I give it barely any gas but will hold onto the gear to 4500 rpm on WOT.
I found with this set up the BTO linkage seemed to make little difference so I took it off. The whole transmission change turned into a very expensive and time consuming exercise to get it the way I wanted and if I was doing it again I would seriously consider using one of the transmission options that I could plug a laptop into so that shift points can be changed easily. JMPO
ted13b (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 03:47 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ted13b
So a late, hard shift would be the governor? And I'd want the line pressure tight, to keep the pressure up?
Hard shift is probably due to a shift kit in the transmission. A shift kit increases internal transmission pressure to get those firm shifts. When the shift happens is up to the governor. What I meant by line pressure is the PSI of the transmission fluid pressure generated by the pump, not any tension on the TV cable. As long as the cable is adjusted to have the minimum PSI with the throttle closed, and the line pressure instantly starts to increase when the throttle is opened, you have it right. I would define minimum pressure as PSI at idle with zero tension on the TV cable. There is a plug on the left side of the case where you can thread in a pressure gage to check.

My 200-4R had a shift kit in it when I bought it, and I used the bowtie overdrives EZ TV cable. Pressure at idle was high and the pressure rose higher as the throttle was opened. I think that's what you will see with yours.
ted13b (06-14-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 11:42 AM
ted13b
Racer

I like a firm, crisp shift, but this is a late shift that slams into gear and kicks you in the back. It's actually embarrassing. I'd like to find a 300psi gauge locally, any suggestions? I tried the Harbor Freight web site, but they don't list any that high.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Try someone who does industrial hydraulic hose repairs and the like, that is where I got my gauge from.
ted13b (06-18-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 09:38 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

With a new tranny, just call the trans vendor and tell them you want the 'regular' shifts to be less firm. Ask us about it when the vendor or trans manufacturer fails to solve your problem. We're just the "second string" in this case.
ted13b (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 03:00 AM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
I had the same issue as you with my 200-4R. I hated the late shift and stage 2 set up was too hard shifting for my liking.
The BTO linkage allows you to keep tension on the valve in the trans body but at the same time adjust the rate of the cable moving the valve this means you can adjust this to suit what you need without having the cable loose at the all important time when you start to step on the gas. This is my understanding of what it does at least.
In my case the 1-2 shift was late at part throttle but at WOT it was too early as was the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. The BTO linkage and one of their springs in the valve helped somewhat but in the end the only way I could get the 200-4R shifting the way I wanted was to change out the whole valve body and use a modified one from CK performance as well as a modified governor. The transmission will now up shift at under 2000 rpm when I give it barely any gas but will hold onto the gear to 4500 rpm on WOT.
I found with this set up the BTO linkage seemed to make little difference so I took it off. The whole transmission change turned into a very expensive and time consuming exercise to get it the way I wanted and if I was doing it again I would seriously consider using one of the transmission options that I could plug a laptop into so that shift points can be changed easily. JMPO
Really hate hijacking the thread, but do you have the part numbers for your modified valve body and modified governor. I have a shift kit in my 200-4r, but my WOT 1-2 shift is great, nice little chirp, but my 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are at about 3300. I have the stock VB and governor. Thanks.
ted13b (06-18-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 03:24 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cboyd
Really hate hijacking the thread, but do you have the part numbers for your modified valve body and modified governor. I have a shift kit in my 200-4r, but my WOT 1-2 shift is great, nice little chirp, but my 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are at about 3300. I have the stock VB and governor. Thanks.
Assuming that the 1 2 shifts are happening at the same rpm, then either you can buy a weight and spring kit from b and m via summit and test, change and test again or you can google sonnex govenors and buy the one that suits your desired rpm. I don't know if they do custom govenors but know that they do a govenah for 5500 rpm, if your local salvage yard has an old cop care with the LT1 and the 700r4 it's govenah will be a 5500 rpm as well. I think that some of the late c4 vette as well as 95 and 96 camaro that has the LT1 also had the 5500 rpm govenah in it as well. Sorry to the op for side jacking your thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluedawg:
cboyd (06-16-2016), ted13b (06-18-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cboyd
Chris at CK Performance modified these items, I don't know what the donor parts were out of. I do know this, the governor weights have been lightened and one spring removed from it.
ted13b (06-18-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 09:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Modify the governor to lighten the shifts. Add that spring back (assume this means springs restricting movement of the fly-weights). If that doesn't get enough change, increase weights.
ted13b (06-18-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 12:33 PM
myohpe@gmail.com
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. I like a nice, crisp shift, and the 2-3 shift is great, but sometimes, especially cold, the 1-2 shift comes late, around 2500 RPM, and really slams into gear. I guess my real question is by raising the EZ TV linkage, how will this affect the shift points? Will it make the shifts at a lower RPM, or higher, or no difference?
One thing I know for sure about 2004R trans TV cable is: There is only one way to properly adjust it. Any adjustment other than that shown here will cause shifting problems. The diagram is off of the Art Carr website. This man knows as much as anybody about these transmissions. Make sure your measurements match those in the diagram for best results. I used this when setting mine, and I get great shifts.
ted13b (06-18-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 11:23 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 177 Posts

I currently have the oval piece in it's lowest position, but I don't see anything in the instructions about what raising or lowering it is supposed to accomplish. Any suggestions?
this is from Richard at BTO when he replied to my question when i installed a 700r4 into my '72,

The only thing that changes when you rotate that cam assembly is the rate at which you pull the cable.
The distance that the cable is pulled stays exactly the same.

If you would like your part throttle shifts a little sooner and softer,
then you rotate that cam assembly clockwise and you should be able to feel some difference.
ted13b (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 01:08 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Modify the governor to lighten the shifts. Add that spring back (assume this means springs restricting movement of the fly-weights). If that doesn't get enough change, increase weights.
I might be wrong, but I didn't think that changing the weights and springs on the govenor would lighten or firm the springs, i thought that it only dictated shift rpm, loke i said, maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware the only real things that will lighten or firm the shifts are the valve body/shift kit and the TV cable.

Last edited by bluedawg; 06-18-2016 at 01:12 AM.
ted13b (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 06:17 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by myohpe@gmail.com
One thing I know for sure about 2004R trans TV cable is: There is only one way to properly adjust it. Any adjustment other than that shown here will cause shifting problems. The diagram is off of the Art Carr website. This man knows as much as anybody about these transmissions. Make sure your measurements match those in the diagram for best results. I used this when setting mine, and I get great shifts.
I read thru his adjustment procedure on his web site, the OP should too. It's the same as the factory adjustment for cars originally equipped with a 200-4R. He has at least one basic math error in those instructions though.... 1/16 inch is not .190 inches for example, but other than that it looks good. The point of using (or making your own) "TV made easy" cable set-up is to go from zero tension on the cable at idle, to full cable travel at WOT. You can check it with a pressure gage to make sure pressure starts to rise as soon as the throttle starts opening.

Last edited by SH-60B; 06-18-2016 at 06:19 AM.
ted13b (06-18-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To EX TV Cable Adjustment

Quick Reply: EX TV Cable Adjustment