C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to fix t-top fiberglass damage '75

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 11:17 PM
Averystingray75
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any way to fix t-top fiberglass damage '75

I had one of my t-tops blow off my car years ago because it wasn't properly latched. I bought a used set to replace it but they are off. Late77 and the weatherstripping just does not seal properly no matter what I've done to adjust. I'd like to maybe fix my original t-top because it had a nice "memory" to the car roof. If it's even possible.

So tell me how hard and what exactly would be required to fix the t-top?

Old 06-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would call up a corvette restoration shop and ask them. Try calling Masterworks http://www.mwauto.com/ they did the fiberglass work and paint on my car, they did a top notch job.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:08 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

The complete correct year t top would be really cheap on ebay? Honestly financially I just dont see repairing that one making any sense..chances are it wont fit exactly the same due to the repair making the area a different thickness. I thought the late 77 t top was different than the earlier ones and wouldnt fit right?

I actually had to use a dremel to get the moon roof brand ones that came on my car to actually fit correctly since they were molded so poorly.. one fit ok but the other was terrible until I removed the extra material from the front underneath.

I actually have a set of 76 T tops I bought on ebay before fixing the glass ones I have... Too bad your like 3 hours from me.. Id let you test them for fitment.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 06-28-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:12 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

You can use either WEST SYSTEM epoxy and fiberglass cloth or
Fiberglass polyester LAMANATING resin and fiberglass cloth.

West System has a web site and info books / pamphlets to help.

I used WEST SYSTEMS to repair one a few years back. Still looks good.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:10 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Here is the correct style 68-76 passenger T top for $90 and free shipping... again the late 77 t top doesnt fit earlier car correctly and thats why your having fitment issues with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1976-Co...NSpJsR&vxp=mtr

and heres a white one for $76...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-Ori...5Ru16X&vxp=mtr

Last edited by augiedoggy; 06-29-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:27 AM
Randy Robinson
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Averystingray75
I had one of my t-tops blow off my car years ago because it wasn't properly latched. I bought a used set to replace it but they are off. Late77 and the weatherstripping just does not seal properly no matter what I've done to adjust. I'd like to maybe fix my original t-top because it had a nice "memory" to the car roof. If it's even possible.

So tell me how hard and what exactly would be required to fix the t-top?

I would charge 200 to fix that plus materials and parts. If you are not familiar with 2 part resins, and hand laying fiberglass, this is not a good project to learn on, it has to be exactly the same as it was. Exactly... not a little thin here or tiny bit thicker there, it can't be a cosmetic patch. In this particular place glass to resin ratio has to be right on, because there not much thickness work with. And of course you have to use Fiberglass resin designed for Sheet Molded Composite panels. You can send it to me, I'll fix https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lies/smash.gif it and send it back.

Get notified of new replies

To Any way to fix t-top fiberglass damage '75

Quick Reply: Any way to fix t-top fiberglass damage '75