C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me Adjust/Replace My Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:51 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default Help Me Adjust/Replace My Ignition Switch

Recently I have had to turn my ignition cylinder all the way over to start my '81. More so than normal. Today it didn't start at all. Is there a procedure to adjust the ignition switch? Does this indicate that the switch needs to be replaced? I know that the switch is on the bottom of the column and I've been under the dash a lot lately. Maybe I accidentally knocked it out of adjustment?

I don't have any books or manuals that explain adjusting or replacing the switch. Any insight on my problem and solutions are welcome.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The chances that you knocked it out of adjustment is HIGHLY unlikely.

And..knowing that the connectors that plug into your ignition switch are hard to get out on their own..I doubt that they became uncaged...but worth looking at.

AS for doing this type of repair....you can try to adjust your ignition switch some and see if it helps...or go to GM and get one....because the GM ones have a green pin in them that centers the switch in the OFF position. You will need to remove and re-adjust your high /low beam switch also. I sometimes drop the column a little bit so I can use my small wrenches and get it off and back on. If my memory serves me correctly I have my 5/16'', 3/8'' and 11/32'' wrenches to do this.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (07-01-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 09:42 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the reply DUB.

Good advice as always.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Well I ended up getting a switch and installing it. I dropped the column and it just didn't seem to be enough room to get to the switch. So I pulled the seat and gauge cluster. I could at least see it then. Installed the switch and adjusted the high/low switch for the headlights. The ignition cylinder turned enough to start the car and I didn't have to bottom it out. One more fun job to add to the list of repairs on this old Corvette.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Well I ended up getting a switch and installing it. I dropped the column and it just didn't seem to be enough room to get to the switch. So I pulled the seat and gauge cluster. I could at least see it then. Installed the switch and adjusted the high/low switch for the headlights. The ignition cylinder turned enough to start the car and I didn't have to bottom it out. One more fun job to add to the list of repairs on this old Corvette.
Glad you got it done.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Help Me Adjust/Replace My Ignition Switch

Quick Reply: Help Me Adjust/Replace My Ignition Switch