Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 09-10-2002, 09:48 AM   #1
virtue4u
CF Senior Member

Default Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not?

I have decided to change the transmission pan gasket and clean the filter. Any tips with respect to the filter? It is a TH350 transmission. Also, do you put a little gasket sealant on the gasket for the transmission pan? If so, what kind of sealant? I assume that if any is used, it must be very little.
virtue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:54 AM   #2
1LE
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not? (virtue4u)

Replace the filter, and you should not need any sealant on the gasket. One tip, do not over tighten the pan bolts, that will cause leaks. Use a big wide pan to catch the tranny fluid, it can get messy under there and plenty of old rags or paper towels.
1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:27 AM   #3
Stephen Irons
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not? (virtue4u)

I bdon't know how you plan on getting the car in the air, but if its slightly higher at teyh fron t it helps,as the fluid will only come out of one sidfe of the pan when you release it! I loosened all the bolts but kept the front tighter and let the rear drop a little. Then use that large pan to collect the fluid.

Buy the AC Delco pan set (Mid America) It in ludes a filter, and more importantly, the gasket isn't a cork one, but a tougher material. Ensure that all the mating surfaces are clean and absolutely free of any traces of fluid. Bolt up everything dry.

Have fun!
Stephen Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 01:45 PM   #4
UKPaul
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not? (Stephen Irons)

As Stephen (Hi!) said, get the filter & gasket kit & just change the filter (making sure that you get the filter gasket on correctly). Tighten the pan bolts in steps up to a final torque of 13lb/ft. Be prepared to get messy, even after draining for 3 days & nights my tranny was still dripping fluid when I replaced the pan. It would be an ideal time to fit a drain plug to the pan if you're not in a hurry to get the job finished - you'll be really glad you did it the next time you drain the tranny.
:cheers:
UKPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 09:09 PM   #5
Jerry P

Default Re: Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not? (UKPaul)

The postings are correct. You definately don't want to use RTV or permatex on the pan. If any of that stuff gets up in the trans you'll be looking at a rebuild in no time at all. One thing you may want to do is really clean off the lip of the pan good before installing the gasket and the bolts. Believe me DO NOT OVERTORQUE THE BOLTS. They will strip out of the aluminum housing quickly. Whatever the book calls for is all I would torque them to. It will seem that it isn't tight enough, but it will be.
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 09:12 PM   #6
paul 74
Ontario, Canada
Support Corvetteforum!

Flatten the areas of the pan where the bolt holes are located before reinstalling.
paul 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:45 PM   #7
SharkAttack
CF Senior Member

I have used wheel bearing grease (thin coat, use sparingly) in the past with no issues. It's compatible with ATF and holds the gasket in place during installation. Agree heartily with everyone else on the bolts - torque in order and only according to OEM specs.
SharkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:45 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not?

Tags
add, c3, corvette, gasket, how, kind, pan, pictures, put, seal, sealant, sealent, th350, trans, transmission