C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not?

Old 09-10-2002, 09:48 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not?

I have decided to change the transmission pan gasket and clean the filter. Any tips with respect to the filter? It is a TH350 transmission. Also, do you put a little gasket sealant on the gasket for the transmission pan? If so, what kind of sealant? I assume that if any is used, it must be very little.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:54 AM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not? (virtue4u)

Replace the filter, and you should not need any sealant on the gasket. One tip, do not over tighten the pan bolts, that will cause leaks. Use a big wide pan to catch the tranny fluid, it can get messy under there and plenty of old rags or paper towels.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:27 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Re: Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not? (virtue4u)

I bdon't know how you plan on getting the car in the air, but if its slightly higher at teyh fron t it helps,as the fluid will only come out of one sidfe of the pan when you release it! I loosened all the bolts but kept the front tighter and let the rear drop a little. Then use that large pan to collect the fluid.

Buy the AC Delco pan set (Mid America) It in ludes a filter, and more importantly, the gasket isn't a cork one, but a tougher material. Ensure that all the mating surfaces are clean and absolutely free of any traces of fluid. Bolt up everything dry.

Have fun!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:45 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not? (Stephen Irons)

As Stephen (Hi!) said, get the filter & gasket kit & just change the filter (making sure that you get the filter gasket on correctly). Tighten the pan bolts in steps up to a final torque of 13lb/ft. Be prepared to get messy, even after draining for 3 days & nights my tranny was still dripping fluid when I replaced the pan. It would be an ideal time to fit a drain plug to the pan if you're not in a hurry to get the job finished - you'll be really glad you did it the next time you drain the tranny.
:cheers:
Old 09-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Jerry P
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not? (UKPaul)

The postings are correct. You definately don't want to use RTV or permatex on the pan. If any of that stuff gets up in the trans you'll be looking at a rebuild in no time at all. One thing you may want to do is really clean off the lip of the pan good before installing the gasket and the bolts. Believe me DO NOT OVERTORQUE THE BOLTS. They will strip out of the aluminum housing quickly. Whatever the book calls for is all I would torque them to. It will seem that it isn't tight enough, but it will be.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Flatten the areas of the pan where the bolt holes are located before reinstalling.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:45 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have used wheel bearing grease (thin coat, use sparingly) in the past with no issues. It's compatible with ATF and holds the gasket in place during installation. Agree heartily with everyone else on the bolts - torque in order and only according to OEM specs.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you put a little gasket sealant on the transmission pan gasket or not?