C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Jam Courtesy Light Switch

Old 07-09-2016, 09:57 AM
mtedrick
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Jam Courtesy Light Switch

This is my first post in this forum so THANKS in advance for info. The door jam switch on the driver's side of my '78 quit working. I bought a replacement but when I got home I realized it wasn't identical to the oem switch. The oem has 3 wires all contained in a harness that plugs into the switch. The replacement doesn't. I checked with other auto parts stores and they all recommend this same replacement. Do I need to cut the hardness off the oem, ground the ground manually, then connect the other two wires to the replacement? Or who carries the exact oem replacement? Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Well, I get the whole "want to fix it now" phenomena but I'd hold off and get the right door jam piece. Cutting wires MAY effect other component pieces in your system namely the courtesy light timer which is connected to the headlight switch.

It may make no difference but be careful cutting.

Also, get yourself a service/assembly manual. It will have the diagrams you need so you can see what is attached to what.

For parts, check Wilcox (big forum supporter), corvette Central or Ecklers. Ebay has a bunch of stuff too.

Most auto pats stores will not have the EXACT Vette piece you need.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:23 AM
DonnieP73
Burning Brakes

Received 518 Likes on 224 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This is the one Corvette Central has for your 78.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50g&ukey=24712

Donnie
Old 07-09-2016, 10:27 AM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

HMMM..IF like my '78 yours came with the factory alarm System..the driver's side door is wired for that..When armed( key turned in exterior door lock counterclockwise and then removed from vertical position..perhaps the 3rd wire on the oem door ajar jam switch was intended to signal the antitheft alarm circuit if someone entered your car via the DS window and opened the door without deactivsating the alarm system?Doc REbuild and probably others show that switch I think..
However IF you DO NOT USE your antitheft system or if it has been deactivated, the standard DS 2 wire jamb switch will get your DS door switch functional again..IF you are certain the jamb switch-plunger IS the problem.
You might temp wire the 2 wire switch to original harness end and see if that turns courtesy int lights on and off..Bear in mind the car had a delay circuit for courtesy int lights..Jim
Old 07-09-2016, 10:37 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 1,011 Posts

The driver's side three wire switch controls interior lamps, key in ignition warning and headlight warning buzzer circuits.
The following users liked this post:
jim in oregon (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 11:06 AM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

thx..I'm the 3rd owner of my '78..The interior courtesy lights work fine including the delay off..No buzzers working when I got the car..which is fine by me..I'm astute enuf to know to turn off the headlights when I stop-park And always remove the ignition key..

I deactivated the anti-theft system as it was a nuisance and drew down the battery badly ..A short somewhere I couldn't ferret out..IT didn't work anyhow..Jim
Old 07-09-2016, 05:05 PM
mtedrick
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll follow the advice and order one from Corvette Central.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Jam Courtesy Light Switch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Jam Courtesy Light Switch