C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 chattering relays - running rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 10:26 AM
drp5862
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 81 chattering relays - running rich

Ok two issues perhaps related so I'll post them both here. 81 automatic all original except air stuff removed, magnaflow exhaust. Recently had a rebuilt E4ME and distributor put in. Car runs MUCH better than it used to
1-literally day before I took it in, when key turned to pre start ALL relays on CCC circuit chatter. Carb solenoid, egr, air relay, tcc and egr relay, vac sensor. They stop when engine is running. Disconnecting one at a time has no affect on the others. Only way to stop them is the two large pin connectors from ECM. Not addressed during carb replacement. Check engine light does not come on prestart, not on when car runs. Jumping pins under ashtray does bring light on to get codes, but the light flashes in time with clicking relays. Any ideas what causes the chatter ? Bad ECM?

2- car runs great, fast slow idle seem good but but on start up leaving
large black marks on pavement and you can see smoke. Once it comes off fast idle and I move car, spots not nearly as bad, but still noticeable. At stop lights, noticable smell and smoke. I have to assume the carb was set up right, but maybe not. Could be the rich and lean adjustments at the front were not set properly ? Carbs a 17082204, looking. Specs for that carb and the original, pretty darn close but not my area of expertise. I don't have a shop manual or the tools for the carb, or dwell meter etc, do have the carb manual, but most I read says refer to shop manual or another delco manual I don't have for those particular adjustment

are the two related ?
How do I get rid of the chattering?
I can get the necessary stuff to do the carb or find someone who can, but just looking for a direction to head in

Cheers
Old 07-10-2016, 11:34 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Were you able to get any codes when you jumped the connector under te ashtray? If so, it probably isn't your ECM. Does your Magnaflow exhast have an O2 sensor? If so, where is it? Also, what do you mean by "air stuff removed?"
Old 07-10-2016, 06:24 PM
drp5862
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Were you able to get any codes when you jumped the connector under te ashtray? If so, it probably isn't your ECM. Does your Magnaflow exhast have an O2 sensor? If so, where is it? Also, what do you mean by "air stuff removed?"
Thanks for reply. Not sure I'd call them codes. Not like I remember last time I tried. Key pre start relays chatter, turn off install jumper same pattern to relays, and engine light at same pattern. To eratic to be codes imho. Can upload a video if that's allowed of sequence if that helps.

Yes it has o2 sensor just before pipe enter header on drivers side. Air pump and all the pollution stuff removed when exhaust installed. That's like 7 or 8 years ago. No troubles with these relays before.

Last edited by drp5862; 07-10-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:18 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Try reading the codes again. I vaguely remember tat it starts with two sets Just count the flashes and write them down. Well go from there.of 1, 2. after two sets of this there are two digit trouble codes, if any. Again. it's just a sets of flashes with pauses between the numbers.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 chattering relays - running rich

Quick Reply: 81 chattering relays - running rich